RIS recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KuntzBrewing

Reaction score
how does this recipe look i made with beertools.com. any advice or expierence in this style? i pall parked it so I dont want to commit until i believe its worth my money/time

Thanks,
Corbin

I would say you're off to a good start, but that looks like way too much crystal. I would think that you could drop both your crystals down to 1 lb. Replacing the crystal you cut with Munich will keep some of that sweetness while improving the fermentability. I haven't use choc rye before, but you might want to consider reducing that too and adding some carafa III or British choc. . . maybe even a 1/4-1/2 lb roasted barley.

I don't know where you're getting your supplies, but I could do a 12.5 gal batch of RIS for less than the price you have listed.

Generally, you would have some Roasted Barley in there as well. And I agree with the previous poster, there is waaay to much Crystal. I would use maybe 1-1.5lbs total. I would personally up the bitterness a touch as well, but that is personal preference.

as been stated already, way too much specialty malt. I wouldn't go more than half of each, especially on the crystal. in a beer of this size theres just naturally gunna be sweetness so u dont want to go too heavy on crystal. definitely swap some of the chocolate for roasted barley or black malt.

whats your mash schedule look like?

dont forget to make a starter, aerate well, and keep those fermentation temps under control if you want it ready in time

What's a good mash schedule for this style, I was just gonna do a full mash at 152° for an hour then mashout at 170 for 15 and sparge

I would still drop the carafa completely. It is only for color and not much flavor. You need to add enough roasted grain to get the flavor right, and the color will follow. I'd up the roasted barley to 1 lb, and add about 0.5 to 0.75 lb chocolate malt, and that should probably do it. With that much munich in there, you really don't need crystal, although if it were me I'd cut the munich in half and add maybe a pound of crystal total in the 60 to 120 range, maybe split between them.

I would still drop the carafa completely. It is only for color and not much flavor. You need to add enough roasted grain to get the flavor right, and the color will follow. I'd up the roasted barley to 1 lb, and add about 0.5 to 0.75 lb chocolate malt, and that should probably do it. With that much munich in there, you really don't need crystal, although if it were me I'd cut the munich in half and add maybe a pound of crystal total in the 60 to 120 range, maybe split between them.

I agree that you could use 1/2-1 lb of dark crystal. But I would disagree on the need to up the roasted barley. I only use a 1/2 pound in my 12 gal. 1.104 OG RIS and it has a fantastic and enjoyable roasted flavor. There is a good amount of Brit. Choc., though. Really, I think you would be fine with what you have now, but you would like it even more if you added a touch of dark crystal and british chocolate.

You're shooting for a flavor profile that will emerge 6 months to a year from brewing, not a 3-6 weeks. I think you'll find that the sweetness will fade somewhat and the roasted/toasted dynamic will mature over time. I think there should be quite a difference in one's approach to building an Imp. stout vs. a standard stout recipe. In a standard you may shoot for a greater roasted presence in the beginning, but with an imperial those flavors will become more pronounced over time. That's my experience anyways.

By the way, I think the amarillo at 15 min is a nice touch. You'll want to keep your munich and add a little crystal, and that will match very nicely with the amarillo.

See my problem is I want to have an excelent recipe, I'm new to all grain, and haven't ever made my own recipe and don't really wanna do trial and error in a beer that takes 8 months to mature, but at the same time I don't wanna use somebody elses recipe because it doesn't give that "home made" feeling, if it turns out good it just means you did a good job using somebody elses proven recipe, I'm wanting my own ****. Thank you all for the input, id imagine you all have expirience in this field because you mostly all agree on each others advice

Back