Homebrew in the UK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paint_it_black

Reaction score
I'm a homebrewer from the Pacific Northwest, but this fall I'm moving to Liverpool for a year of college. Is there anyone on here from the UK/anyone who is familiar with the homebrew culture over there? First of all, is it legal; are there any restrictions? Is it as prevalent as it is here? Will the cost be comparable to what I'm used to? Can anyone fill me in?

It's legal there moreso than here. You can brew an unlimited amount and give it to agricultural workers working on your estate as part of their pay.

You can be made "Lord of the manor" in the case of amateur brewing. In cases of special achievment such as "life time of brewing" one could be made "Lord of all that he observes" which is a bit like getting "the keys of the city". My friend got this and met the queen, which is doesn't happen very often these days. There is still an old law that anyone carrying on the business of brewery can take any Tuesday off work as paid leave for the purposes of "brewing for King and country". This is enshrined in the laws of the land which you may have heard of; "never hath so many drinkers oweth so much to those who brew", and this is celebrated on our July 4th instead of independence day. ;)

Hopandgrape are fantastic. Good service. GREAT service tbh.

Some other chaps as well such as the malt miller who is super cheap but quite new on the scene. I use h&g for preference but I'm going to give tmm a try next batch.

Brewing equipment is a bit more basic over here. EVERYTHING is much more expensive. A large number of brewers use plastic puckets as boilers, many of them have made them themselves using kettles.

Wine is very popular in the UK too. I'd suggest winesathome dot co dot uk for that as it is populated with official type judges.

I think homebrew and beer wise we are a little less experimental than you will be used to, and equipment seems nowhere near as advanced as what you have on this forum.

Not as much variety in terms of malts/hops/yeast, but that is rapidly changing, as is the price of such things.

Back