Brewers Best VS. NB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamby

Reaction score
I'm on my 4th batch of home brew. My first two were brewers best Holiday and American Pale Ale. Loved them both. My 3rd batch was NB Nut Brown Ale, did not enjoy it at all and I love New Castle. My 4th batch is NB American Amber Ale which is still brewing. My question is does anyone know of a NB kit that is close to Brewers Best American Pale Ale? I'd like to try something similar just to be able to compare the two. NB kits are about 10 bucks cheaper then BB. thanks for any info.

I couldn't figure out what kind of hops the BB uses, but the Sierra Madre Pale Ale or the Extra Pale Ale Kits should both be winners. Sierra Madre is clearly in the vein of Sierra Nevada, and the Extra Pale Ale is, I think, close to Summit Extra Pale Ale, a Minnesota beer that is freaking delicious. Sierra Madre is going to be more in line with a classic American Pale Ale.

Thanks for the reply, I'll order the Sierra Madre today. I love Sierra Nevada. You need to try to get you hands on some Sweetwater 420 or Sweetwater brown made in Atlanta GA. Good beer

If I'm not mistaken, the NB Nukey Brown Ale is going to in the mold of a Newcastle & the Nut Brown will be closer to Samuel Smiths.

And as elkdog said, the NB Sierra Madre is a winner. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. As for the Amber, if your taste buds are anything like mine, you're going to wish you had 10 cases of the stuff.

I'll have to try the Nukey Brown. The nut brown was a disapointment. I'm looking forward to the amber. I gennerally like an Amber type beer. Killians Red is the bomb.

My 3rd batch was NB Nut Brown Ale, did not enjoy it at all and I love New Castle.

I enjoy the Nut Brown, but it certainly is lacking. When I sampled it right after brewing I thought to myself wow this is going to be excellent. Then I sampled my final gravity reading and it lost a lot of the flavor. I tried one this weekend after 2 weeks in bottle and it was alright, but it certainly a miss. FWIW I used East Kent instead of the fuggle as I'm not a fan of the Fug.

Cheers

I just ordered both the Sierra and the Extra pale ale . Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply, I'll order the Sierra Madre today. I love Sierra Nevada. You need to try to get you hands on some Sweetwater 420 or Sweetwater brown made in Atlanta GA. Good beer

Not to get off topic, but Sweetwater is a fanastic brewery and good people running it, their Festive Ale, Happy Ending, and Dank Tank are as good as it gets.

I use to work about 5 minutes from the Sweet Water brewery so just about every tuesday at 4:20 we would go down there and partake in the brewery tour/party. 420 is in my top 5 beers..

Back