3rd Place at BJCP sanctioned event..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjmcfoot

Reaction score
I brewed a brown ale, english style, aged in french oak, and decided to enter it in the local Harvest Fair competition. There were 142 total entries and I entered in the Mild English Brown Ale category.
The beer turned out to be more of a copper color but still qualified according to the style guidelines, so..........
On saturday I found out I got a white ribbon for Third Place, I was happy considering one of our old timers entered six or seven different classes and didn't get a single thing.

One category, the first time, and I manage a ribbon?:mug:

Now I am afraid I could be just setting myself up for future disappointment.
I am excited none the less, now I have something to hang on the wall.

Congrats man. No matter how much we enjoy our own stuff it's always nice to get a little outside validation, eh? Of course, now the pressure is on to prove you're not a one-hit wonder. :p

Care to share that recipe?

ahoy hoy,
Congrats! I got my first 2 3rd place medals ever this year as well. Never expected it either. I felt almost Olympic with these medals hanging on the wall at work.
Again, good for you!

Congrats man. No matter how much we enjoy our own stuff it's always nice to get a little outside validation, eh? Of course, now the pressure is on to prove you're not a one-hit wonder. :p

Care to share that recipe?

Yeah I can share it, I can tell already that I am going to change it up a little bit. I will copy down the recipe tonight and post it back on here. You guys can brew it up, and tell me what you think.;)

Ok here's the recipe:
I have made some changes, this could have been more true to the style had I not used so much American ingredients, but this was a really good beer none the less.
This is the original recipe UNCHANGED.

A refreshing Copper Brown ale brewed with coriander, and conditioned in American oak imparting that old world charm and flavor. This beer was a 3rd Place winner at Harvest Fair 2009.

5 gallon Recipe: For 10 gallons just double the batch

9lbs 2 row pale malt
22 oz 80L
6 oz caravienne
6 oz carapils
1 oz cascade pellet 5.5%
0.25 oz Willamette pellet 5.3%
0.25 oz Tetnanger (Leaf) 4.5%
0.25oz Coriander
0.4oz Orange Peel
1oz Oak Chips (American Oak)
Whirl-Floc
Wyeast Belgian Ale Yeast WLP550

MASH as per Papazian Step mash procedure…..

Boil for 60 minutes adding the cascade for full boil. Add the other hops at 10 min for aroma hoppiness.
In the last 15 min of boil drop in Coriander and orange peel and Whirlfloc along with the chiller to sterilize it.
Cool and ferment as per typical practice.
After airlock ceases activity rack to an American oak cask or place sterile oak chips in a secondary and allow to condition at fermentation temperatures for 7 days.
Keg, or bottle and enjoy. Bottle at room temp for 3 weeks.

Latest posts

Back