Dying brewer creates special beer to be served at his funeral

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefchris

Reaction score
Link to Story

A TERMINALLY ill brewer has created a "to die for" beer - to be served at his funeral.

Industry veteran Iain Turnbull was diagnosed with prostate cancer a year ago.

The 61-year-old plans to have the "dangerously strong" beer, called Brewer's Swansong, served when he's gone.

He said: "It is the last beer I will brew.

"All attending at my funeral will get a bottle.

"It will be matured in a whisky cask, bottled and served as a toast when I am toasted in whatever crematorium I am treated to."

He has four to 10 years left, and hopes the brew will help raise cash for Macmillan Cancer Support when it reaches pubs in the next few weeks.

Bang He said: "There will come a time when I will need the care of Macmillan nurses.

"I thought this would be an innovative and enjoyable way of raising money for them as a thank you in advance.

"I wanted to go out with a bang. You need to have a sense of humour at times like this. It will be branded as a beer to die for on the label."

Grandad Iain, who also suffers from osteoarthritis and diabetes, says the superstrong 11.5 per cent ABV brew has a "toffee apple" flavour.

He added: "A taste trial has been undertaken and it is acknowledged to be one of my dangerous beers."

Iain, who has worked in the brewing industry for 40 years, lives in Stornoway on the Isle of Lewis.

Pals at the Falkirk Tryst Brewery in Larbert, Stirlingshire, agreed to make the beer.

John McGarva said: "It will be dark, malty and strong, just the way Iain likes his beers, and he wants this one to be perfect."'

I'm going to fake arthritis and the 'betis to get Three Floyds to brew a barleywine for my funeral. :D

027669_27.jpg

Scots. What more can I say. My dad was showing me only last night a bottle of beer from Orkney which is about 10% and matured in old whiskey casks. Version of Dark Island. Damn I miss the beers back there! Need to brew more!!!!

Sad, but good story.

To relate this a bit to someone in my life,my grandpa was a winemaker for most of his life... and when he passed away, he had a ton of bottles of wine left in his basement. During the visitation, everyone that came in was treated to a cup of his wine. The funeral director (a family friend) got the be the taste tester for the opening of each bottle (to my grump's discredit, some of his wine could be mighty nasty), and got quite the buzz going by the end of the night.

Though Grump passed away, the number of stories that were told and memories recounted... and tales of friends coming over and being tempted to a glass of wine.. that turned into a bottle of wine was a mighty fine way to celebrate his life.

Sure as hell wouldn't want to get an infection in THAT batch! I woulda done a Dead Guy clone if it were me.

Great story!! He has my admiration!!!

Sad, but good story.

To relate this a bit to someone in my life,my grandpa was a winemaker for most of his life... and when he passed away, he had a ton of bottles of wine left in his basement. During the visitation, everyone that came in was treated to a cup of his wine. The funeral director (a family friend) got the be the taste tester for the opening of each bottle (to my grump's discredit, some of his wine could be mighty nasty), and got quite the buzz going by the end of the night.

Though Grump passed away, the number of stories that were told and memories recounted... and tales of friends coming over and being tempted to a glass of wine.. that turned into a bottle of wine was a mighty fine way to celebrate his life.

That is pretty cool. I should lay down some really big RIS brews (Since I don't do wine so well yet).

Latest posts

Back