Substitute for FWH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talloak

Reaction score
I have a basic understanding of what First Wort Hopping is, how it is done and why it is done. However I partial mash on my stove top and don't 'run' anything off.

Let's say a recipe calls for a FWH. It is an issue since so many recipes out there and on this board are AG recipes. How would I deal with this?

If you partial mash you can still do a FWH. I am assuming that you mash with a grain bag, since there is no run off. Once you remove the bag, and are ready to begin boiling, steep the hops for 30 minutes before you begin to heat the wort to boiling.

Last time I brewed, I added the hops (pellets) after draining the grain bag. I immediately added heat to bring to a boil which took about 25 minutes. Is this sufficient?

That is sufficient. A lot of people begin heating the wort before all of the run off has been collected. The important issue with FWH is the hops have a chance to steep in non boiling water so the oils have time to get into the wort before the boil drives them off.

Back