Costco kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivzavod

Reaction score
Saw this a while back and now that I have a few batches under my belt I am thinking more and more about kegging.

Costco - Haier Dual Tap BrewMaster Beer Keg Cooler

For $799 shipped is it a good deal? I figure the fridge itself is at least $250 (its 6.2 cf) + 5# co2 tank is $100, shipping might be $100. So that leaves off $350 to American Sankey Tap system, chrome tower, some accessories on top (which are additional to a your own kegerator conversion), cleaning kit, time and labor I would spend on converting my own mini fridge.

How much would that American Sankey Tap system would go for? I've seen here on HBT people praise Sankey stuff and that looks like almost a whole setup, just needs cornies + regular and always connections, tubes, etc.

I personally feel that these keg systems are way overpriced. You can put together one heck of a kegerator with a used refrigerator or chest freezer for way less. These pre-built kegerators are typically built for 1 regular sanke keg, so if you want multiple cornies on tap you are going to be drilling and installing more faucets.

It's your call, but I know you could put together a far better system for less money.

+1 for prebuild kegerators being overpriced. Making your own kegerator is easier than you would think just look at some of the projects in the diy threads.

ya way overpriced, im building a keezer to hold 6 kegs, for 2 dual tap towers, all the line regs and kegs and freezer for like 800 so ya def worth it to build your own and plus if something goes wrong you will know how to fix it

I live in an apartment I dont have room for another refrigerator. As stated before the cost of equivalent fridge is $250. I understand that one can sometimes find a used Sanyo 4912 on CL for as little as $100 and that a new Oster costs $200 or so.

Look at my math, I took out the cost of the fridge, cost of shipping which is included in the price and cost of a brand new 5# co2 tank. This alone should be ~$450 of $799 price. It would be worth it for me to spend $150 on "labor" to have a peace of mind as I estimate the American Sankey tap system + tower + accessories + cleaning kit at $200.

Am I wrong with my estimate of $200 of the above mentioned items?

Not to mention that this a 6.4 cf fridge which should not have any problems holding 2 cornies + 5# co2 tank without any modifications. But wait there is more!!! Since this is from Costco it has their lifetime return policy. If there is a problem you are covered by their membership. So estimated $150 overpayment on equivalent DIY project but minus the labor, headaches, stress and time.

Looks like you are trying to justify getting one, so if it's what you want go for it.

I found one at Sams a few months back for $300, it was on sale at the time. It can hold 3 Cornelius kegs.
Today I was at Walmart and they had a kegerator for $350. I did not look at the specs but you might want to check it out.

Doing quick math in my head (I don't want to write it down, cause then I realize I spend way too much on my brew/beer quip), but you should be able to do a sanyo dual conversion for under 700 easy. Even after dual tower, perlicks, 5# tank, dual out (three gauge two pressure) regulator, etc, I spent under 700 (minus 100-150 about, not including kegs).

It's just a matter of if you feel like doing it- If you don't (doesn't sound like you do), a prefab fits the bill- Just shop around to get a good deal. I have seen a few kenmore beirmeisters on CL in my area ranging 200-500 (of course only after I had mine done).

Keep in mind you will need money to expand any single tower- air distributor/y splitter, extra lines and taps, and the tower- either drill and add onto, or replacement multi head tower (if you could get three kegs in it that would be great, because you wouldn't have to worry about repositioning the tower- just drill one on both sides).

Hope you find something that works out- Get kegging already! Cheers

EDIT: Even though my Sanyo looks like a lot of the other conversions, I still take pride in the fact that I made it. MMMM beer on tap... :EDIT

I bought a Danby Kegerator at sams a few years ago before I got into homebrewing. I built a bar around it and have since turned into a dual tap with 2 cornies inside. If a had to do it all over again I would have built a bar around an elevated Keezer for less money and more beers on tap. Either way you will have beer on tap which is a wonderful thing.

Talk to EdWort. His is that exact model I think. I bet he can give you the cost of his conversion to 3 taps.

B
Yup those 6.4 cf ones can hold 3 (if 2 one one handle from what I hear) and a 5lb co2 bottle.

+1 on this is what I want for many reasons: Lack of space for a used fridge and quality looking so it fits into the place and the SWMBO will accept it. But its $700+200 for a 3 tower +100 for connections etc. + kegs :drunk: thats over $1k and the reason i don't have one yet.

4569-NewKegerator.jpg

My breakdown of parts involved is as follows:

Fridge itself - $250 (it should be more then that since this is a 6.4 cf)
shipping - $100
brand new 5# co2 tank - $100
chrome dual tap tower - $120
2 Sankeys - $60
cleaning kit - $30
drip tray - $20

That brings it down to $680, so $110 for the professional labor that I will be avoiding is not bad imho. I will be ok with just 2 taps with 3rd keg conditioning. My birthday is coming up in the end of the month and my parents wanted to buy me something.

Like others have said, if you don't feel like doing the work, then go right ahead and just buy it and don't look back.

i personally live for DIY Beers stuff. So I am in the same boat as you, I live in a small townhome and don't have room for a chest freezer, I want it IN my house for easy access so I want it to look nice. So I am choosing to do a conversion of the Oster from Best Buy.

I am in the process of getting the parts I need, and I just ordered my Tower conversion kit from KegConnection.

For around $460 SHIPPED you can get the Conversion kit will ALL the stuff you need, PLUS 2 more kegs (4 Kegs in total) and WITH the upgraded Perlick faucets for that price.

Add the price of the Fridge ($209) you are right around $700, You still have to do the work to convert, but you now have 4 kegs and better forward sealing faucets?

-Craig

Like others have said, if you don't feel like doing the work, then go right ahead and just buy it and don't look back.

i personally live for DIY Beers stuff. So I am in the same boat as you, I live in a small townhome and don't have room for a chest freezer, I want it IN my house for easy access so I want it to look nice. So I am choosing to do a conversion of the Oster from Best Buy.

I am in the process of getting the parts I need, and I just ordered my Tower conversion kit from KegConnection.

For around $460 SHIPPED you can get the Conversion kit will ALL the stuff you need, PLUS 2 more kegs (4 Kegs in total) and WITH the upgraded Perlick faucets for that price.

Add the price of the Fridge ($209) you are right around $700, You still have to do the work to convert, but you now have 4 kegs and better forward sealing faucets?

-Craig
But you only have 2 beers on tap. Whats a third worth to you? $200?

I keep going round and round with what to do :mad:

The Haier 6.4 cf can fit 3 cornies but I am totally fine with 2 on tap and 3rd one lagering. I will get rid of one of my coffee tables and put the fridge in my living room.

But you only have 2 beers on tap. Whats a third worth to you? $200?

I know I will only have 2 "On-Tap", but the 2 extra kegs are for storage. I can brew, frement, condition then have a keg sitting pressurized waiting to go in the kegerator and not have to wait to empty a keg before I brew. 2 extra kegs were only 50 bucks.

Back