Too much beer.... Problem? Keg storing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClemsonDV

Reaction score
I have been splitting 10 gallon batches with a buddy, and I have 3 full kegs at the moment. I have 3 others that are empty. My kegerator is the only place i can really store the kegs at a cold temperature (except maybe the garage in the winter) and it holds at most 5 kegs. But... I have an all grain system now that is 10 gallon batch capable. If i start hoarding 10 gallon batches to myself, i will run out of kegs and storing space. So here is my conundrum.

If i max out my kegerator, where else can i store my kegs. Can I stash them in a closet (60-70 degrees)?
I normally cold crash my beers before kegging and force carbing. But will that need to change if I can't cold store a keg? Would i just keg at room temp and then carb? Should i not carb til i plan on drinking? Any help with this "problem" of too much beer will help.

Sounds like a good problem to have!

I have a similar setup (10 gallon batches, kegerator holds 5 kegs, I have around 10 kegs total), and here’s what I generally do:

If kegerator has space, newly kegged beer goes directly in and gets put on carb. Cold crash is optional.

If kegerator is full, I generally try to leave in fermentors for as long as possible. However If I need fermenting space (or if I am really anxious to get a beer on tap), I will rack to a keg, add priming sugar, and seal it with a blast of 30 psi. It then sits for 2-3 weeks at room temperature to allow the beer to naturally carb up. If it’s a beer that I know I will be putting on tap soon I dry hop during room temp carb period if recipe dictates.

There’s no problem letting your beer sit at room temp in the keg. And adding priming sugar to let the beer naturally carb not only ensures your beer will be ready by the time it goes into the kegerator, but also saves CO2 and I believe allows the yeasties to munch and clean up the beer a little more. It also helps to limit the amount of O2 exposure and infection risk.

If kegerator is full, room temp kegs are full, fermentors are full, and I still want to brew some beer soon…. I have a party! Or I bottle up some of the kegs that aren’t getting as much love (that 2 gallons of whisky barrel double imperial stout that’s been taking up fridge space for 6 months can be bottled). That scenario has only happened maybe once in my brewing career.

So you are saying to use sugar instead of CO2? Now that I have a kegging system, I have always thought to force carb, but if I am sitting my beers at room temperature, is force carbing overkill? I have a huge CO2 tank (inside kegerator), but I am pretty sure I don't have enough room if I move it outside of the kegerator.

I used to bottle, so the sugar shouldn't bother me, but for some reason it does. Oh well. Thanks for the info. I planned for a 2 tap keg system (built in December), but I have put 3 kegs through it and I already want to expand it. Bonus time is March 15th, so that means upgrading the kegerator. I mean... why stop at 2 when 5 will do.

Why stop at 5?

I have two keezers that can hold a combined 20-25 kegs.....

Although I have started to lean towards bottle conditioning my big beers that I want to age. That way I don't have the tap line maintenance on a beer that I am not drinking that often.

You dont necessarily need to naturally carb your room temp beers, you can leave them uncarbed (just think of the keg as a a secondary or brite tank). I've just always thought of it as a prudent thing to do for my beers since I dont have two CO2 setups and the beer is just sitting there doing nothing (and I use 20oz CO2 tanks for serving so I try to save CO2 as much as possible).

Thanks for the info. I should think of it as a secondary. I drink beer...fast. So its not a worry, but I love brewing and currently am limited on my brewing funds (SWMBO). But i find recipes i want to make ASAP, and if I decide to do 10 gallons, then my kegs are filled quickly. I think going about it at 5 gallon intervals may be the right pace for my thirst and my intrigue. I eventually will get more kegs and if i get more space, I could do another keezer.

I have a 20 lb tank of CO2 and dual regualtors with air distributor. 1 is set to 10-12 psi and the other to 30. So i can serve and carb at the same time.

Back