First Lager - Norther Brewer Octoberfest kit yeast starter sllllloooowwww... help pls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madbird1977

Reaction score
This is my first Lager and using the WYEAST 2633 OCTOBERFEST LAGER BLEND yeast.

I used 1 cup of Light DME in about 1200ml of water in the flask to build the yeast starter. I've done 15+ yeast starters and followed the normal instructions.

Okay, so the issue is that there is minimal activity after 24 hours. I usually see at least some activity.

The recipe that I'm doing is from NortherBrewer and linked below:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/Oktoberfest.pdf

Any advise, I did see in another forum that I should build a bigger starter for a lager...

Should I get some dry lager yeast and build a 2nd larger starter? How much if so?

I plan to brew in the next day or so...then have it ferment at 48-52 in the wine fridge for 3 months.

Again, newbie to Lager and really love the octoberfests so would love for this to come out great ...any advise is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!:mug:

In a lager, a 4L starter wouldn't have been too big. Since you've got activity now, the only thing to do is to wait it out.

Edit- I read your post again, and you haven't brewed yet? If not, just step up the starter to increase the cell count.

If I'm reading your post correctly, you are concerned that your starter will not be enough. Do you have a stir plate, if not your starter could benefit from some light agitation. Perhaps you have your lager starter chilled right now. Many people on the forum make their starters at normal temperatures and chill it before they pitch it in.

I'm sure it will turn out fine. If you are really concerned, rehydrate a packet of dry lager yeast and throw that in with the other starter.

thanks again. the yeast is 2 months old. its looking better but think I might just add a pack of dry yeast to the carboy as I want to brew today. or should I wait and add to the inprocess starter?

or make a separate starter? I do not have a stir plate.

overall the starter is looking better

Back