Single infusion vs decoction??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Since I moved up to all grain brewing, I've read about single infusion and decoction methods. It seems that the decoction method is a little more work than the single infusion but is there a significant taste difference, mouth feel etc? I'm not sure I understand why you would do one than the other?

While I have not done a decoction I believe it increases maltyness, I have had decoction mashed homebrews along side the same beer without the decoction and I could definitely notice the difference.

I did a decoction on this year's Oktoberfest. Wasn't worth all the extra work, to be honest. The same enhanced maillard reactions can be had with some minor grain tweaks and a 90 minute boil.

I started out by decocting 1/3rd of some hefeweizen mash. Since then, I've moved up to decocting 1/2 of the mash. I don't think I'll ever do full decoctions, but I definitely like the effects of partial-decoctions...

That's what I'm wondering. Not that I wouldn't do a decoction, but why spend the extra time to achieve the same or similar result?

I started out by decocting 1/3rd of some hefeweizen mash. Since then, I've moved up to decocting 1/2 of the mash. I don't think I'll ever do full decoctions, but I definitely like the effects of partial-decoctions...

What's the effect?

I do single decoctions with all my German lagers and they're very malty. I've heard many home-brewers poo-poo decoctions stating they've done side-by-side comparisons, etc. and didn't notice a difference... and I can't account for those, but Noonan gives a good technical explanation in his book why they're good. I think a decoction with the right step-temps can be wonderful for the right beer.

It's a little more work. When I do a single decoction, it adds about 30 minutes on to my brew day.

What's the effect?

The main effect is truer maltiness. It is hard for me to explain, but the maltiness I get is what I enjoy. I think because I use Nottingham yeast frequently, I like some longer protein chains in my wort. That may not make any sense...

The main effect is truer maltiness. It is hard for me to explain, but the maltiness I get is what I enjoy. I think because I use Nottingham yeast frequently, I like some longer protein chains in my wort. That may not make any sense...

No. I appreciate the information. I guess I'll have to try both and taste for myself. I'm just trying to understand the processes and what they mean..

Decoctions are best used in wheat beers or rogginbeer. It helps in sparging the huskless grain. Some test have been done on the taste difference and evidence doesn’t point one way or another.

if you are just starting out all grain, keep it simple with a single infusion. get your process down before you start doing decoctions. learn your rig and how it works on brew day before adding more steps.

Decoctions were used for highly undermodified malt, because you needed it to get full conversion. Today's malts, even the ones referred to as "undermodified", are still much more modified than the undermodded malts of yesteryear. These days, you can mimic the effects of the maillard reaction by adding melanoidin malt. However, it's a great thing to experience the process regardless. What I like to do in many of my beers is do a mini-decoction at the end of the mash. I might get a few points of temp drop over 60 minutes of mashing, so around 55 minutes through, I'll pull a stiff 1/4 of the mash out of the tun and bring it to a boil for maybe 15 minutes. I'll add this back to the mash and it will usually bring the overall mash temp up to 155-160. This will convert any unconverted starches, typically---at least in my experience---and the 15 minutes of decoction will definitely produce a modicum of melanoidin compounds.

I've done a true "full" double decoction before, and it's a bit of a PITA. First off, if you ever do it, please remember that because you've boiled your grains, you've disintegrated/broken up more of the husks than usual, and thus you will almost always get a false positive on your iodine tests. I sat there on my final sacch rest for 90 minutes and still pulled positive iodine tests. I finally gave up, expecting terrible efficiency because I left unconverted starches in there. In the end, it was the opposite---my efficiency was in the mid 80's. I figured out later that it was just false positives on my iodine tests. So, keep that in mind.

Decoctions were used for highly undermodified malt, because you needed it to get full conversion. Today's malts, even the ones referred to as "undermodified", are still much more modified than the undermodded malts of yesteryear. These days, you can mimic the effects of the maillard reaction by adding melanoidin malt. However, it's a great thing to experience the process regardless. What I like to do in many of my beers is do a mini-decoction at the end of the mash. I might get a few points of temp drop over 60 minutes of mashing, so around 55 minutes through, I'll pull a stiff 1/4 of the mash out of the tun and bring it to a boil for maybe 15 minutes. I'll add this back to the mash and it will usually bring the overall mash temp up to 155-160. This will convert any unconverted starches, typically---at least in my experience---and the 15 minutes of decoction will definitely produce a modicum of melanoidin compounds.

I've done a true "full" double decoction before, and it's a bit of a PITA. First off, if you ever do it, please remember that because you've boiled your grains, you've disintegrated/broken up more of the husks than usual, and thus you will almost always get a false positive on your iodine tests. I sat there on my final sacch rest for 90 minutes and still pulled positive iodine tests. I finally gave up, expecting terrible efficiency because I left unconverted starches in there. In the end, it was the opposite---my efficiency was in the mid 80's. I figured out later that it was just false positives on my iodine tests. So, keep that in mind.

Thanks Evan..I'm gonna try that mini-decoction and see how it turns out.

Back