The Love Guru

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, I've been disappointed with the summer movie offerings this year. This one just looks like it blows, and the Zohan one seems about the same. Everything released these past few weeks just screams "Wait until I'm in the $5 bin!"

You know, I've been disappointed with the summer movie offerings this year. This one just looks like it blows, and the Zohan one seems about the same. Everything released these past few weeks just screams "Wait until I'm in the $5 bin!"

More like "Wait till I get the free movie code from Red Box" :mug:

yeah this one blows my mind why anyone would think it's appealing?

I'm sure my wife already added it to the NETFLIX queue for when it comes out.

Is there 1 person in the world who's excited about this movie?

What happened to Mike Myers?

Mike Myers happened to Mike Myers. I've never liked him. Every stupid gag he ever did, there always seemed to be this thing where he was waiting for everyone to laugh with him, like, "eh? EH? Get it?! Penis! HAHA!" Look through his list of movies. None of them are worth their weight in sh*t. Austin Powers was incredibly overrated, the same gags don't work 50 times...I mean, really, Myers seems like many other SNL alum: they're brilliant as sketch comedians on a show like SNL, but then they think that that skill will transfer to film, and they essentially take a sketch gag that might be funny for the 5 minutes of the sketch, and stretch it to a feature-length film (sometimes quite literally...see: Night at the Roxbury, Ladies' Man, Wayne's World, It's Pat, Superstar). And yeah, it might be funny for the first few minutes, but after awhile, it just feels like you're watching an extended SNL sketch. Love Guru looks like more of the same...penis joke after fart joke after poo joke after sex joke. I'll say it again: Mike Myers has never been funny beyond 5 minutes of a gag. He's a gag/sketch comedian, and he just can't extend that to film successfully.

I mostly with you on this Evan with two exceptions. I can sit through all of the original Waynes World on occassion because I feel like he and Carvey share it well enough. The other movie I really like is So I Married an Axe Murderer. It's actually one of my favorites in the quirky romantic comedy genre. Being a big fan of San Fran doesn't hurt either.

I have seen Meyers do stand-up and he does a nice job of that. Agree with the movies, though. They blow...the only one I can tolerate is the first Austin Powers, and only if I'm drinking.

Hmmmm....might be a good thread topic there...Movies that only don't suck when drinking...

Just the commercials are painful to sit through. I mean, I laugh uncontrollably when Vern Troyer tobbled over after getting kicked in the nuts in Bad Santa - but watching him get shocked and flying across the ice rink....

THAT'S the best visual gag you can show us? Really? That's what they think the funniest moment of the movie is?

The Love Guru?!? I'm not aware about any documentary about me, so it must be a hoaks...;)

H

The Love Guru is really an "Austin Powers" movie with a new main character. I have not seen this, but I can easily predict this is all it is. So if you like Goldmember, I'm sure the same formula is applied to this flick.
And as far as movie selections this year, I think this year is full of some great ones. This is the year of the Superheroes. Ironman, Hulk, Hancock, Batman, and Hellboy II.

Back