Pliny the Elder clone from AHS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
Has anybody ever brewed this? Does it taste identicle to the original? I received mine in the mail yesterday and can't wait to get started. This kit came with 14oz of hops. I am wondering how much volume I will loose due to hop material. I normally pitch the hops in the kettle but maybe this time I will use a large hop sack. Any thoughts?

I brewed a pliny the elder clone, but not the one you're specifically referring to. I used a recipe that was allegedly published by the brewers (it's listed in a thread here, but PM me if you want it and I'll dig it up). It was absolutely outstanding. I've not had the original but a friend who did said mine was very very close - only lacking slightly in 'maltiness'. I did miss the target gravity though.

To answer your other question - yes, you will lose a heck of a lot from the hops. My pre-boil wort was something around 8--8.5 gallons, but by the time I racked I was left with thirty 500 ml bottles. I also recommend the use of pellet hops over leaf. I had a mix of the two and the leaf hops made racking extremely difficult (unless you have something to strain with in the process).

I brewed a pliny the elder clone, but not the one you're specifically referring to. I used a recipe that was allegedly published by the brewers (it's listed in a thread here, but PM me if you want it and I'll dig it up). It was absolutely outstanding. I've not had the original but a friend who did said mine was very very close - only lacking slightly in 'maltiness'. I did miss the target gravity though.

To answer your other question - yes, you will lose a heck of a lot from the hops. My pre-boil wort was something around 8--8.5 gallons, but by the time I racked I was left with thirty 500 ml bottles. I also recommend the use of pellet hops over leaf. I had a mix of the two and the leaf hops made racking extremely difficult (unless you have something to strain with in the process).

I will be doing a partial boil, which is unfortunate because its a 90 min boil :rockin:

I also got this kit on Friday July 5. I am brewing it tonight and plan on using some muslin bags which I rarely use. What yeast are you using?

I also got this kit on Friday July 5. I am brewing it tonight and plan on using some muslin bags which I rarely use. What yeast are you using?

I am using the wyeast 1056, which came already expanded. I will be doing a healthy starter for this beer. Are you doing a partial or full boil.

I skipped the yeast option and bought some safale-05. I typically use dry yeast in place of 001 or 1056. Full boil, all grain.

I skipped the yeast option and bought some safale-05. I typically use dry yeast in place of 001 or 1056. Full boil, all grain.

I would love to try the AG version. I haven't taken the AG plunge yet. Good luck and enjoy that great beer.

Back