Call me crazy...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyherrick

Reaction score
Last night on my commute home I was doing some serious thinking. Stay up late to brew or get up early without much sleep to brew. I am a father of three young children and like to be involved. My brewing is a great hobby and i do not like it to get in the way of my daddy time.

I decided this morning to get up at 3:30 to brew a belgian tripel. It was great. Coffee is delicious that early. I usually am up by 4 during the week so it was not that bad. I think i am converted to an early morbid nth.brewern.

Less beer during brew day equals less mistakes.

Are there any other crazies out there like me?

andyherrick said:
Last night on my commute home I was doing some serious thinking. Stay up late to brew or get up early without much sleep to brew. I am a father of three young children and like to be involved. My brewing is a great hobby and i do not like it to get in the way of my daddy time.

I decided this morning to get up at 3:30 to brew a belgian tripel. It was great. Coffee is delicious that early. I usually am up by 4 during the week so it was not that bad. I think i am converted to an early morbid nth.brewern.

Less beer during brew day equals less mistakes.

Are there any other crazies out there like me?

I have started as early as 5:30 AM before, shortly after I got up. Not crazy. I appreciate an early AM brew session for sure.

Not me. I have 2 youngin's and also spend lot of family time. However, I have to get up at 5:30 during the week and so sleep is precious to me. In fact, I got it down to the minute so I get every little bit of sleep time. Like 5 more minutes of sleep every other day on the days that I don't have to shave.

So god bless ya if you can do that, but not me. I figure I will only brew once every month or two and so I save it for a weekend or vacation day. I haven't had them help me brew, but there damn handy during bottling time. I got child labor all over the place.

I love brewing in the middle of the night!! You are friggin' crazy!!!

andyherrick said:
Call me crazy...

You are crazy! Brewing at sunrise sounds nice, but not the way you do it. :)

I'm probably your polar opposite long lost evil twin. I'm so tired every morning it's almost nauseating... And has been pretty much every day of my life, regardless of how much sleep I've had.

But come 10 or 11 PM, I get a burst of alertness and energy, and I can be ultra productive 'till dawn. Its really difficult for me to switch gears. Years ago I made up the term "sleep inertia" to describe how I feel, I can't think of a better analogy. I'm sure kids will be in the picture in the next few years too, should be interesting!

I figured i get the same amount of sleep either way. I used to be a night owl but have grown to go to bed early and get up earlier. Hope everyone enjoys their beer early or late night brewed.

Thanks

I'm an early morning brewer too. I get started at 5am on Sundays. I like to be done and cleaned up by the time the family is up.

I've got a big TV above my brewing stuff. I turn on Turner Classic Movies. I don't know why, but I get a kick out of having those old movies playing while I'm brewing.

Back