Old CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadianbrewer2012

Reaction score
Hey my father-in-law gave me his old brewing kit which included a c02 tank that expired in 1999 ... Soo the thing likely has not been filled in about 15 or more years ... Is there any reason I can't or shouldn't use this tank for my brew? It still has like 120 psi and is in good condition...

There is nothing wrong with the tank. If it has only 120 psi it is about empty.

There is nothing wrong with the tank. If it has only 120 psi it is about empty.

Depending on where you go to get it filled, they might make you get it hydro tested before they will fill it. I think most brew shops just swap them for new ones, so it might not be an issue but some places that actually re-fill them will check the last test date.

And ya, 120 psi is almost empty. The gauge should read 500-800(depending on how cold the tank is) until shortly before you are out of CO2.

Many welding shops will take it as a swap, no questions asked or anything more than a cursory examination for holes. They'll do the hydro themselves before turning it around to the next guy that comes in.

I would not use it personally. I had a pretty much exact same situation and force carbed with it. The beer had a bad off taste. I am guessing oxidation was part of the problem. I had gotten the keg from a friend and filled it at a welding shop originally. Then it sat for like 15 or more years. I'm just paranoid that there may have been more than just co2 in there. Swap it. Airgas quoted $31 to me for my 10# recently that needs a hydro.

At 120psi, that tank is virtually empty. CO2 tanks should and will read 600-800psi almost right to the end, and then they will drop off sharply. I would try to swap it for a full one. If not, a new tank is in order. Or pay for the expensive testing.

I would not use it personally. I had a pretty much exact same situation and force carbed with it. The beer had a bad off taste. I am guessing oxidation was part of the problem. I had gotten the keg from a friend and filled it at a welding shop originally. Then it sat for like 15 or more years. I'm just paranoid that there may have been more than just co2 in there. Swap it. Airgas quoted $31 to me for my 10# recently that needs a hydro.

Co2 doesn't go bad ever. I am positive you didn't oxidize your beer with old Co2, there must be another reason. Welding shop Co2 is the same as beverage Co2.

I was quoted $25 for hydrostatic testing at my local welding supply shop when I filled my tank two weeks ago. (It has a year left). The salesman was encouraging me to just swap my short date shiny aluminum tank for one of their not-so-pretty steel ones. That price was supposed to be my incentive. I plan to pay the $25, just for the bling factor in my family room.

Back