Another Pale Ale recipe review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akajdg

Reaction score
So I brewed two extract kits and got bored and have been self teaching myself from all of the kick butt info on this site. I put together an all grain recipe for a Pale Ale... I know, going both feet in :rolleyes:

Here is my grain bill and hop schedule, will be using the typical 10 gallon cooler with a bazooka screen.

10lbs Pale Malt (2 row)
1lb Crystal Malt 80L
.50oz Citra 90min
.50oz Citra 20min
1.00oz Ahtanum 5min
1.00oz Ahtanum 1min
1.00oz Ahtanum flame out
WLP001 - no starter

according to Beersmith my SG is at 1.057 and Est FG is 1.012

Will be mashing in with 14qt of 167degree water for 60min
then two sparges of 1.5gallon each at 168

Mucho gracias for your feedback!

Sounds like a winner to me! I love Citra hops and i have heard that Ahtanum are just as good. Having a pound of crystal 80 is going to add a good amount of color should be a nice copper to amber.

Recipe looks good... although I've not yet used Ahtanum ... the form looks groovy. :)

Is this your first attempt at AG? I would recommend putting your mash water in the mash tun (cooler) first, and letting it sit for 10 minutes to warm up. Then add the grain to the water.... rather than adding water to the grain.

In Beersmith, if you uncheck the 'Adjust Temp for Equip' box near your mash profile, it will tell you the temp the water in the heated up tun should be at just before you add the grains. This makes it a bit easier to hit your mash step temp for a single infusion mash with a coolor. e.g. your cooler has already been heated up by the mash water, and so the only thing left is the heat absorption of the grain... which Beersmith has calculated for you. I find that if I measure the water temp just before adding the grain, and it matches the unchecked Beersmith temp, the dough-in is really spot-on. YMMV...

Good luck!
--lexuschris

Sounds like a winner to me! I love Citra hops and i have heard that Ahtanum are just as good. Having a pound of crystal 80 is going to add a good amount of color should be a nice copper to amber.

Thanks man, I'm really hoping for some good color with the crystal 80. Now I feel better.

Recipe looks good... although I've not yet used Ahtanum ... the form looks groovy. :)

Is this your first attempt at AG? I would recommend putting your mash water in the mash tun (cooler) first, and letting it sit for 10 minutes to warm up. Then add the grain to the water.... rather than adding water to the grain.

In Beersmith, if you uncheck the 'Adjust Temp for Equip' box near your mash profile, it will tell you the temp the water in the heated up tun should be at just before you add the grains. This makes it a bit easier to hit your mash step temp for a single infusion mash with a coolor. e.g. your cooler has already been heated up by the mash water, and so the only thing left is the heat absorption of the grain... which Beersmith has calculated for you. I find that if I measure the water temp just before adding the grain, and it matches the unchecked Beersmith temp, the dough-in is really spot-on. YMMV...

Good luck!
--lexuschris

Beersmith has made things so much easier, and with your suggestion I think that makes a lot more sense as this will be my first AG beer. Truly appreciate the feedback!

A couple of things.
Why no starter with the WLP001? I think you would get better results with a starter.
I think you are going to be a bit short on volume.
Ignoring any dead space, and using the standard grain absorption figures from Beersmith or Promash, you would have just over 5 gallons pre-boil. I think you will need roughly another 1.5 gallons of sparge water to get a 5g batch.

-a.

Latest posts

Back