floating sediments in second fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goochimo

Reaction score
Hi there,

First time brewer here...and in the process of the first batch. I am two weeks into second carboy, and noticed two things that are strange. 1) there are still sediments/hops floating near the top.
2) My wheat beer, actually a clone of Bells Oberon, is quite dark....is this normal? Does the Wort change color during fermentation? what could i have done wrong to have it so dark?

looks more like a Nut Brown than a Wheat beer.
any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,
G

it looks dark because there are 5 gallons sitting in the carboy, it will be lighter in the glass. however, using extract will cause it to darken a bit due to carmelization. you can minimize this by adding the majority of your extract at the end of the boil.

the sediment floating in it is nothing to worry about ;)

:mug:

trapped CO2 will cling to bits of hops and trub, causing it to float. just avoid racking it to the bottling bucket/keg.

extract brews are often a little darker than 'true style' due to how extract is made, and that most extract brewers do partial boils, creating a thicker wort that darkens a bit. Late extract additions address the darkness, as well as hop utilization...as in "why isn't my extract Pale Ale very hoppy?".

the higher the gravity of your wort boil, the harder to get hops to bitter the wort.

Sounds perfect to me.

Once you taste your great beer, the darker color will be forgiven. Extract brewing carries with it the slight downside of darker tones.

There will always be floaties (not to be confused with floaters) in your carboys. Siphon around them and the chill effect of the bottles will driveany remaining solids to the bottom of the bottle.

Back