Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After nine months of messing around I finally got to the point where I could do some sea trials with no loss of life or property. My inspiration was based largely on this thread:

My new brew system, a brutus 10 with some nice modifications

Instead of gas, I went the electric route where I'm using a CFC as an external pseudo HERMS heat exchanger:

1_Sea_Trial.jpg

2_Control_Box.jpg

3_Control_Box_Interier_.jpg

4_Storage_Mode.jpg

After nine months of messing around I finally got to the point where I could do some sea trials ...

Kind of like having a baby?

... I'm using a CFC as an external pseudo HERMS heat exchanger:

That's a great idea!

Do you run the wort pump to heat the HERMS with one of the Love switches?

Nice work on the panel also!

Kind of like having a baby?

That's a great idea!

Do you run the wort pump to heat the HERMS with one of the Love switches?

Nice work on the panel also!

Your right. It is kind of like having a baby. After that much time, you just want to get it over with.

The water pump on the left looking at the front of the rig continually circulates the HLT through the annulas of the CFC. One PID controls the heating element for the HLT the other PID controls the wort pump on the right for the mash tun which flows through the inner tubing of the CFC. Worked pretty well. It brought 5 gal of 71* water in the MLT to 150* in less than 30 minutes with the HLT set at 170*.

The water pump on the left looking at the front of the rig continually circulates the HLT through the annulas of the CFC. One PID controls the heating element for the HLT the other PID controls the wort pump on the right for the mash tun which flows through the inner tubing of the CFC. Worked pretty well. It brought 5 gal of 71* water in the MLT to 150* in less than 30 minutes with the HLT set at 170*.

How do you use the chiller to cool wort?

How do you use the chiller to cool wort?

One of two ways. Fill the HLT with mostly ice and a little water and recirculated through the counter flow chiller as before. Or disconnect the HLT altogether and hook it up to the garden hose. I'll try both ways to see which works the best. My guess is the garden hose route.

My "ghetto fabulous" brew rig made from old metal bed frames and self drill screws. Very sturdy. Practiced welding on the joints since the build and it is now even more sturdy. Cost of frame...about $30.

single tier brew rig.jpg

The mythological "finished brew rig" :p

So what's your next enhancement going to be?

Haven't thought about it yet - its only been a week since I finished the last revision. Maybe a sight glass or 2. Measuring by sticking a ruler in the kettle just doesn't seem right.

That's my circulated BIAB Brewery.

Based one 10 gallon electric Urn, 3000W heating power, march pump at the bottom.
IMG_1636.JPG

The bottom , pump and electricity .
IMG_1625.JPG

Two operation modes-
1. temperature control with PID controller
2. ON/OFF with simerstat , the white noob on the left, to control the heating power
toggling modes with the switch on the right
IMG_1628.JPG

currently circulating from a hole close to the side of the urn to one in the middle, silicon tubing connected to aeration wand.
I want to plug to hole in the middle and move the silicone tubing out side the urn.
IMG_1638.JPG

pump inlet on the right and drain hole on the left
IMG_1635.JPG

heating element and probe of the PID
IMG_1634.JPG

aeration wand and bag
IMG_1641.JPG

That's my circulated BIAB Brewery.

Based one 10 gallon electric Urn, 3000W heating power, march pump at the bottom.
IMG_1636.JPG

Wow I'm impressed. Not sure if I'm more impressed but the cool kettle/tun combo or the fact that you were able to take the most simple way to brew and make it complex. :rockin:

Wow I'm impressed. Not sure if I'm more impressed but the cool kettle/tun combo or the fact that you were able to take the most simple way to brew and make it complex. :rockin:
:) For me, that's what this forum is all about.

For those that want to build but don't want to weld and want to keep it light, try checking out material from 80/20 Inc http://www.8020.net/. I use this stuff and it's great. It's extremely similar to the material Blichmann uses to make the Top Tier, but it's aluminum instead. Can't advise cost though...I get my material from discarded stuff at work :) I'm building a gravity stand with it now and will post when finished.

oh man reading all these brew rig/ 1-3 bbl brew set up threads has me wishing i didn't live in a highrise condo. :eek:

me thinks im just going to have to get some friend with a house addicted to brewing and brew there instead :D

mine fits into the "closet", and plugs into the wall, running off of the kitchen sink in a 1000 sq foot apartment...it is possible :)

These are all nice. I need to build something better than what I currently have which is two banjo burners on concrete blocks.

Not finished but it's getting there. Plan to replace shelf brackets with more t-slot stock and add some more

5782409723_3d077c0c2e_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

5782414129_4f53396e4c_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

they are from brewhemoth. my biggest problem is they are not round. trying to find lids are pretty damn hard. And the bottom is not 100% flat either. We had to bend the the stainless grates down a bit, so that the pot would not rock.

Stand_020.jpg

Just got my stainless stand done a couple weeks ago. I've ran it once so far, hope I can fire it up again this weekend.:mug:

Back