small town bars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlarnold

Reaction score
Now I realize that one really can't expect the 30 or so taps that you get in big bars or even some sports bars but... bud light and coors light are the only thing on tap in a town of less than 1000 people. Most of the people in town are happy with that and I spose I am too but I've grown accustmed to the selection at the brew pub and liquor stores at college but a 6 pack of some craft would be nice, anything from tallgrass would be good since the local liquor store carries it on occasion. Maybe I'm just tired of dealing with stupid animals all week and wanted a decent beer but I do admit that is rather get drink on the fizzy yellow s*** than anything that actually has love and character put in ot.

Anythign the next town over? Two towns over? Sounds bleak to me. Maybe you should start homebrewing.... :)

Closest big town is an hour away which has some decent liquor stores but I don't speak the language for the bars, have 2 brews waiting for me when I get back tomorrow, but they're no help tonight. oh well, I think ill be able to make it through, only another hour left, more perks of a small town, all legal establishments close down at midnight.

I've spent a night in Hays. On one of my many X/C drives. Not much more to say...

KayaBrew said:
I've spent a night in Hays. On one of my many X/C drives. Not much more to say...

It's worse when you live there, oktoberfest isn't bad but it is what it is

I hear ya. A guy at work opened a bar in town and it's not bad. He tried a couple of decent craft beers to start, but ended up putting Bud Light and Coors Light on tap (or something similar).

But I KNOW they are going to have Bells Oberon on one of those taps very soon! I can only hope they know how to clean their lines properly...

We have a small town bar here in MI That puts oberon and two hearted ale on tap plus rotating through some Edmund fitzgerald, they know to hand me a two hearted when i walk in and i love it!

It's funny you mention Tallgrass. Here in Park City we have one little rock/biker bar that carries the typicals: BL, CL, ML, etc. I'd normally just go because they have PBR pints for $1.25

I about fell off my bar stool a few weeks ago when I saw they had Tallgrass Buffalo Sweat on tap. Only $1.75 a draw too. Any other bar in town charges me twice that. So yeah, I have a new favorite place :D

Our small, ogh I'd say 7 bar stools, bar at home has about 20 taps.

The worst beer on tap is (sp?) Yingling. Y'ling, Guiness, Smithwicks & Dead Guy ale stay on tap all the time, the rest of the taps rotate. There has never been any BMC on tap, unless you count Blue Moon. They even have a mystery tap from time to time, they wont even tell you the style of beer.

In the last few years, ive had DFH 60, 90 & 120 min served to me there on tap. (The 90 is on right now) Stone IPA is almost a staple. There's always a hoppy beer or two on tap, always a few ambers, & they try to keep some local stuff too.

Summertime they lean towards wheats, always have some kind of pumpkin and/or oktoberfest for fall, a winter warmer or barleywine for the holidays, and of course, the irish red & guiness flow around st pattys day. But they always have 8 or 10 different styles represented. I wanna say they had a keg of Allgash White about a year ago.

No smoking, no loud music, 2 tv's, a dartboard & some really great beer.

Now I'm thristy.

Back