Wiring a Ranco

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bsquared

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am wiring up my ranco temperature control units for my HERMS from hell... and I am finding that the wires don't stay as snug as I want. It seems that a wire is always coming loose. I anit no electrition so I need some help.

Any advice? I am using 14 gage wire, and just twisting the wire and tightening them in the unit. How should I do it?

Yuri_Rage said:
Seems to me that what you're doing should work just fine. You might try tinning the ends with some solder. That's how I usually do it.
That is exactly what I ended up doing - just enough to hold the strands together.

evanmars said:
Crimp on a ring or spade terminal.
I would have done that, but I didn't have any with me - and I did have solder and an iron! As long as they are secure, you're OK - Things are tight in there, wouldn't take much for a short to occur.

I am going to be running one of these 240 V. I haven't sat down to figure out how yet, but that is the plan. They are made to work with both.

Brewpastor said:
I am going to be running one of these 240 V. I haven't sat down to figure out how yet, but that is the plan. They are made to work with both.
Sure, they could do 240 - but they only switch one side (I believe) - one side would always be "hot".

Brewpastor said:

Here is the diagram from the insert, if the quality of this scan is too low let me know and Ill send you the big file.

RancoSM.jpg

my first unit i wired up just twisted the wires together and got them in clamps as snug as possible. when i plug it in nothing happens nothing on the lcd screen. so i thought he unit was broken and sent it back and got a new one and i am having the same problem. I am real sure i am wiring it right. what is the deal?

do i need to solder the wires together to make sure there is a good connection i can solder them tomorrow on campus?

is there a special way to tighten the clamps i am loosening the screw sticking the wire in and tightening. I think this is right; they are int here pretty good?

is there a special way to turn the unit on?

jblewis said:
my first unit i wired up just twisted the wires together and got them in clamps as snug as possible. when i plug it in nothing happens nothing on the lcd screen. so i thought he unit was broken and sent it back and got a new one and i am having the same problem. I am real sure i am wiring it right. what is the deal?

do i need to solder the wires together to make sure there is a good connection i can solder them tomorrow on campus?

is there a special way to tighten the clamps i am loosening the screw sticking the wire in and tightening. I think this is right; they are int here pretty good?

is there a special way to turn the unit on?

Sounds like you are making the connections right. I don't think you need to solder.

Make sure you are wiring everything the right way, not backwards, I did this too. See here for more info:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=26496&highlight=ranco+wiring

I have it wired just like that unit. just to be sure load is the wall side right. the side i plug it in on

Beeriffic knows!He guided me through the procedure and it ended up just like the one in the photo in the above linked thread and works great.
Cheers:mug:

jblewis said:
I have it wired just like that unit. just to be sure load is the wall side right. the side i plug it in on

Load is your unit...the thing you are controlling. The "120 VAC" is the plug/wall side.

Back