Plastic/Aluminum Miller Lite Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dagatris

Reaction score
I noticed at the grocery store this weekend that Miller Lite now comes in 6 packs of plastic bottles. Twist off plastic caps.

Then I noticed that they also have it in 12 packs of aluminum bottles. Twist off metal caps. These little bottles looked really cool. They were shorter than standard glass bottles and seemed a little bit wider around. The neck was kind of stumpy.

Anyone have experience with reusing the caps that come with them? Does it hold a seal well?

This is the first time I've seen them in the store. So they are either new to the market, or just new to my area.

I've used the plastic ones for quite a while and they are awesome, you can test the carbonation levels!

Neal

I've reused the 16 oz. plastic Miller Lite bottles and caps. Sanitized the bottles and caps with starsan. No problems. The beer was a berliner weise that was carbed to about 3.5 volumes (6-6.5 oz corn sugar in 5 gal beer). Screwed the caps on nice and tight. They held the pressure easily with no leakage.

Yea, I had read through the entire aluminum bottle post that Revvy linked.

I started a new topic because I was specifically curious about the Miller Lite bottles. They have twist off soda/40 oz style caps. I wanted to know if anyone had experience with these particular plastic/alum bottles, as they are the only ones locally available to me.

I have tried it with the miller aluminum pints that have the twist off top. They hold beer just fine, although they are a pain to clean. For some reason it is really hard to get the water of out of them after washing, seemingly no matter how long they sit upside down. They always have a slightly moldy smell when I am ready to bottle, and I am afraid to really scrub at them so I think that a few would end up infected.

I am just a beginner though. It might be that a 5 minute soak in cleaner would take care of whatever bacteria might be left behind from stale water. That said, they definitely hold the carbonation just fine.

the plastic would probably be better than the aluminum to reuse for shipping right?

Back