Black water spots on new immersion chiller. Problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tankard

Reaction score
I bought my copper immersion wort chiller from morebeer a couple weeks ago, and I tried it out as soon as I received it. I ran a few gallons of regular tap water through the IC to test for leaks. Everything went well. Today I pulled out the wort chiller and there are little black spots on the copper tubing. They look like water spots, but they will not wipe off. I know this thing is going to end up in boiling water, but should I try to remove these black spots? If so, what should I use? I tried wiping them off with my fingers and they made my fingers smell like pennies. I wouldn't want this flavor in my beer.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Nah, it'll be fine it's just oxidation on the copper. Yes, they will come off in the wort, but copper will do that regardless when you immerse it into the wort.

Clean your chiller with a water and vinegar mixture. It should brighten it right up. You might even use some straight vinegar on the spots. Rinse well though. You don't want pickle tasting beer!

Latest posts

Back