NHC 2014- Grand Rapids Who's going?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't yet seen a thread on this years NHC attendees.

Who's all going? Bob and I will be there, arriving Thursday afternoon and leaving Saturday.

I'm new here and kinda new to home brewing, but I will be at the conference and stewarding the competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm not judging this year, due to Bob coming with me and he doesn't want to be ignored all day on Thursday- so we're going to stay in Bellaire Wednesday night to eat and drink at Short's, and then drive down on Thursday from there.

We'll be in the JW Marriott. Anybody who wants to get together for a beer, let me know. I think I'm pretty easy to find, so I'd love it if HBT folks come up and say hello!

By the way, we'll be having some fun with two of the other mods and having a bit of a HBT Scavenger Hunt for prizes, and I'll post something about that in a few days.

It's the same four days as Origins (a gaming convention in Columbus), and I'm committed to running games this year. :(

I will be taking the BJCP Judging Exam in GR that Wednesday though.

I haven't yet seen a thread on this years NHC attendees.

Who's all going? Bob and I will be there, arriving Thursday afternoon and leaving Saturday.

I get in on Tues. afternoon. Drew and I are doing a seminar based on the book at 10:15 Sat. AM. Be there!

There is a room reserved for an "All Forums Meetup" on Fri. at noon. Anyone from any forum can come an hang out and find others from their forum. Since I'm on about 8 different forums, I'll be there! Don't know which room yet, but that info will be available once you're there.

I had planned on it for a whole year.... but
No go, work has impeded on my brewing:(

I am only 2 hours away by car, it will be another 15 years before it comes back to Michigan

:mad:

Actually AZ, I think that sounds like the majority of folks attending!

I'm pretty easy to find though. I don't have a beard, I don't own any cargo shorts, and I'm not overweight much. oh yeah, and I'm a female.

Denny, Bob and I will be attending your seminar. We wouldn't dream of leaving before that!

And will definitely take advantage of the forum meet up!

Actually AZ, I think that sounds like the majority of folks attending!

I'm pretty easy to find though. I don't have a beard, I don't own any cargo shorts, and I'm not overweight much. oh yeah, and I'm a female.

Denny, Bob and I will be attending your seminar. We wouldn't dream of leaving before that!

And will definitely take advantage of the forum meet up!

To find me, look for red Chuck Taylor hi tops. I may be wearing a lab coat, hard hat, and safety glasses, too!

The wife and I are arriving later on Wed. and leave Sunday, driving to Midland (MI) to visit my mom for a couple days before heading home.

Brew buddy and I are attending for the first time. I'm pretty stoked.

I could walk to the convention in about 5 minutes from my house but sadly had other plans scheduled during the conference. I actually spent the day working at Shorts Brewing today and they were kind enough to grace me with some free beer!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm going, helping out my buddy Rex Slagel give a seminar on brew in a bag.

Also fortunate enough to have two beers make it to final round!
Would be great to get a medal Saturday night.

Out of curiosity (this is my first NHC despite being a long time brewer), how many people bring their own beers for random sharing? The first timer's guide mentions it, but wondering what the cooling situation is for the average attendee. I was already bringing my wine check, so was considering stowing a few things in it along with a collapsible ice chest (I have one that's the size of a couple growlers with a removable shell).

I'm going - It'll be my first one. Can't wait to go next week! I'm going to the Brewing Network Anniversary party too at 5/3 ballpark.

So many good seminars to choose from.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Out of curiosity (this is my first NHC despite being a long time brewer), how many people bring their own beers for random sharing? The first timer's guide mentions it, but wondering what the cooling situation is for the average attendee. I was already bringing my wine check, so was considering stowing a few things in it along with a collapsible ice chest (I have one that's the size of a couple growlers with a removable shell).

Good question. I'm assuming that at some point, maybe club night, you will have a place to set a cooler down and hand out samples.

You might be able to do the same at any given time, but I don't know.

First time going and I have what's probably a dumb question.

I have the email with a confirmation number from Altitude Tickets, but I can't find where they sent me any actual ticket. When I show up at the conference what do I need to bring to get in?

Good question. I'm assuming that at some point, maybe club night, you will have a place to set a cooler down and hand out samples.

You might be able to do the same at any given time, but I don't know.
I'm pretty sure club night is more booths and kegs. I'll probably just tote a couple bombers around in my cooler with hotel ice. Checked the Amway amenities, and they don't appear to have fridges in the rooms for my usual cooling method (frozen water bottles).

First time going and I have what's probably a dumb question.

I have the email with a confirmation number from Altitude Tickets, but I can't find where they sent me any actual ticket. When I show up at the conference what do I need to bring to get in?

It seems like a Will Call situation. The confirmation email I got shows the delivery method is Homebrewers Conference, so that seems to indicate you can get your tickets at the event. I plan to bring my printed email, my AHA membership card, and the credit card I used to buy the tickets with.

I'm pretty sure club night is more booths and kegs. I'll probably just tote a couple bombers around in my cooler with hotel ice. Checked the Amway amenities, and they don't appear to have fridges in the rooms for my usual cooling method (frozen water bottles).

I think you are right. I just checked it out and club night is basically for clubs, and they aren't taking any more clubs now. Everything else on the description of the conference shows it's not frowned upon to share beer. They indicate you should have a glass handy at all times in case someone wants to share a sample with you.

I had planned to attend this year, then my buddies backed out, then we decided to buy a house, and now friends are coming to town for CWS. Up until about a month ago I had my credit card out a couple times ready to pull the trigger. Next year hopefully.

You're on your own for cooling. But most hotel rooms have fridges in them.

It seems like a Will Call situation. The confirmation email I got shows the delivery method is Homebrewers Conference, so that seems to indicate you can get your tickets at the event. I plan to bring my printed email, my AHA membership card, and the credit card I used to buy the tickets with.
LOL...You're going even more overboard than I do. I'm just going to star the email so I can look it up on my phone in case.
I think you are right. I just checked it out and club night is basically for clubs, and they aren't taking any more clubs now. Everything else on the description of the conference shows it's not frowned upon to share beer. They indicate you should have a glass handy at all times in case someone wants to share a sample with you.
Yeah, that blurb was what I was referring to. I was just trying not to be 'that guy' and be the only noob walking around with a cooler.
Ya'll are over thinking this.... ;)
Dude, I'm an eagle scout who is a professional network engineer/project manager. I overthink and plan for everything. ;)
You're on your own for cooling. But most hotel rooms have fridges in them.
I checked the amenities at the Amway and they didn't have it listed, so I'm just going to bring my soft-side camping cooler without the shell and get ice out of the ice machine. Worst case, they'll have a minifridge and I'll only need the ice to keep it cool.

Dude, I'm an eagle scout who is a professional network engineer/project manager. I overthink and plan for everything. ;)

O rly? ;)

LOL...You're going even more overboard than I do.

The conference registration area/booth is just like any conference. Show up, tell 'em your name, grab your swag and stuff.....and start drinking. ;)

Club night: you walk around and drink beer/cider/mead from all the clubs that have booths. And you bring some of your own to share, or keep for yourself.

Seminars: drink what's in the back of the room or bring your own

Hospitality suite: mini-club night - clubs pouring their stuff, or go hang out and drink your stuff or stuff others brought.

There will be lots of mini-coolers, lots of bigger coolers, and I'm guessing LOTS of hotel ice-containers with bottles in them. :p

The conference registration area/booth is just like any conference. Show up, tell 'em your name, grab your swag and stuff.....and start drinking. ;)
I don't know. Some conferences (VMworld for example), the drinking starts in the registration line. ;)
Club night: you walk around and drink beer/cider/mead from all the clubs that have booths. And you bring some of your own to share, or keep for yourself.

Seminars: drink what's in the back of the room or bring your own

Hospitality suite: mini-club night - clubs pouring their stuff, or go hang out and drink your stuff or stuff others brought.
Yeah, all this is about what I expected. Pretty much a bigger version of Dixie Cup in Houston.

I know there's a limitation on serving beers in the seminars this year. AFAIK, though, it's OK to bring your own into a seminar.

Oh man, just found out that I'm judging on Thursday! I'm supposed to be in Columbus on Thursday! :eek: I definitely am not going to pass up this opportunity, just gotta figure out how I'm going to cover the game I'm supposed to run Thursday night.

Back