Peanut Butter Porter W/Powdered Peanut Butter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used about 6 jars in the boil when I made mine & it smelled like opening a fresh jar of peanut butter...had a hell of a time filtering out all that PB2 though.

I also used some high quality peanut butter extract in the secondary...I think it was Watkins brand & I got it on eBay. That would be your best option to boost the peanut butter flavor & aroma.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

I brewed it up with 2 jars at 5 minutes and I have it racked for the last 10 days on 1 jar and some nibs. I am currently underwhelmed by the peanut butter flavor and aroma. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking about adding peanut butter extract oil at kegging to at least get the aroma boosted.

I pitched two jars at the 10 min mark...It has been sitting for 11 days and I took a hydro and tasted it....I used Belgian Yeast to get make a banana and PB porter. the banana is up front and the PB comes after...definitely there...there is no PB aroma...

I stirred it up and put the lid back on and will let it sit for another week or so...then keg it and add 1 oz. PB extract.

Side Note: I tried using a paint strainer bag when I moved the wort to the fermenter and it clogged it instantly...so I just dumped it all in the fermenter. The beer was pretty clear when I took hydro till I stirred it back up...Anxious to get it kegged and carbed... Elvis would be proud...

Crimsonwine said:
I pitched two jars at the 10 min mark...It has been sitting for 11 days and I took a hydro and tasted it....I used Belgian Yeast to get make a banana and PB porter. the banana is up front and the PB comes after...definitely there...there is no PB aroma...

I stirred it up and put the lid back on and will let it sit for another week or so...then keg it and add 1 oz. PB extract.

Side Note: I tried using a paint strainer bag when I moved the wort to the fermenter and it clogged it instantly...so I just dumped it all in the fermenter. The beer was pretty clear when I took hydro till I stirred it back up...Anxious to get it kegged and carbed... Elvis would be proud...

Nice.....you just need to get the bacon flavor in there and they will be selling it at Graceland in no time.

I ended up ordering a product from LorAnn Oils that's called peanut butter flavor....says its 3-4 times stronger than any extracts. So I'm going to go real lightly with it in the keg. Can't wait to try this beer. It's looking great so far.

Here is my Peanut Butter Banana Porter (Velvet Elvis). I used two jars of PB2 (10min boil) and 1oz. of PB extract at kegging...Banana was there courtesy of Belgian Ale Yeast (Wyeast 1214).

PBPorter-M.jpg

Shooting for 3 gallons, got 2 after racking... Smells great... Trub was like choco pb cake batter. I can't imaging dealing with this in a large scale brewery... I would need to brew 8 gallons to get 5, probably. Next time I'll use WLP007 for a yeast so it hopefully compacts tighter.

Had to break through fossilized krausen crust, lol:

Gunked up siphon, yield in a 3 gallon bucket:

TGFO(xyclean):

You can get PB2 by the pound on Amazon.com. Its cheaper than the jars too. (Two jars = 13oz for about $12. A 1lb bag = 16oz for $11)

Midwest sells a similar extract recipe called "Chocolate Covered BEAVR nuts" (I think they have an all-grain version as well). The midwest kit doesn't come with PB2, but their recipe calls for a full pound (16oz) of it - in the secondary, not in the boil.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a PB stout in the keg right now. I put 3 jars in the boil between 10 and 2 min left. After fermentation I boiled up one more jar of PB2 and added it to the secondary to dry...uh...peanut-butter the beer for a week or so. The final product came out really well, the PB is present on the nose, and the beer finishing up with a nutty creaminess. The flavor is there for sure but not overpowering.

I don't know as I would bother with it in the boil. Seems as it's done nothing but clog stuff up. Just put it in the secondary, and rack on it.

I started my Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter on the 24th. OG was 1.091 (higher than the kit suggested). It was 1.025 when I racked it yesterday. Over 8% ABV... not too shabby.

The porter tasted great by itself. Really looking forward to the chocolate and peanut butter flavors it should have when this is done.

smurfwar said:
Anyone try doing northern brewers chocolate milk stout with pb2?

I plan doing this in august. Wont know the results till november. Keep me posted if you do that as to how it went planing on a pound of pb2 in secondary

I told my GF I was planning to brew another batch of my peanut butter porter she sent me this link, to a blog where someone compared PB2 and two other powdered peanut butter products. The winner of her taste test was the cheapest and most readily available - Trader Joe's Peanut Flour.
http://www.dailygarnish.com/2010/09/powdered-peanut-butter-a-review-taste-test.html

I may need to make a trip to Trader Joes to try this one for myself.

Digging up an old thread :) Gonna finally try and tackle a peanut butter beer. Just read through the thread and have a few questions.

Do you think that 1 pound of PB2 would be enough for a 2.5 gallon batch?

Those that have added it to secondary, does it referment? I know it contains sugar and I'm also wondering how hard it was to boil this stuff up and add it to secondary. I'm not running peanut butter through my plate chiller:D

I told my GF I was planning to brew another batch of my peanut butter porter she sent me this link, to a blog where someone compared PB2 and two other powdered peanut butter products. The winner of her taste test was the cheapest and most readily available - Trader Joe's Peanut Flour.
http://www.dailygarnish.com/2010/09/powdered-peanut-butter-a-review-taste-test.html

I may need to make a trip to Trader Joes to try this one for myself.

I know this is an old thread but this post is from this year. Trader Joe's no longer makes the Peanut Flower.

Digging up an old thread :) Gonna finally try and tackle a peanut butter beer. Just read through the thread and have a few questions.

Those that have added it to secondary, does it referment? I know it contains sugar and I'm also wondering how hard it was to boil this stuff up and add it to secondary. I'm not running peanut butter through my plate chiller:D

I didn't have it referment on me. I used a lb in 5 gal. It was there, but you had to search for it. It does not stay around long for aging purposes though. I brewed a batch in March. Tasted a bottle the other day, and the flavor was gone.

Here is how I brew mine....I use two jars of PB2 (13 oz total) for a 5 gallon batch, I add it in 10 min. left in boil.......I brew on a Brutus 10 with a plate chiller...BUT... when I brew this I break out my 10 gallon pot and use my immersion chiller....then put in my fermenter peanut butter and all...it will settle out...about two weeks in i re-stir (gently) the beer....and let it sit another two weeks....

Then I keg and add 1oz. peanut butter extract (Watkins off eBay). The PB2 gives it the mouth and aftertaste...the extract gives it aroma and a little forward flavor....I also use Belgian yeast to get banana esters....hence peanut butter and banana porter....I call it Velvet Elvis.

Is it good? well it is the most requested beer at our homebrew club parties and it will tap out in 30 min...

Here is how I brew mine....I use two jars of PB2 (13 oz total) for a 5 gallon batch, I add it in 10 min. left in boil.......I brew on a Brutus 10 with a plate chiller...BUT... when I brew this I break out my 10 gallon pot and use my immersion chiller....then put in my fermenter peanut butter and all...it will settle out...about two weeks in i re-stir (gently) the beer....and let it sit another two weeks....

Then I keg and add 1oz. peanut butter extract (Watkins off eBay). The PB2 gives it the mouth and aftertaste...the extract gives it aroma and a little forward flavor....I also use Belgian yeast to get banana esters....hence peanut butter and banana porter....I call it Velvet Elvis.

Is it good? well it is the most requested beer at our homebrew club parties and it will tap out in 30 min...

Thanks for your tips. I guess my question is: Is there any real benefit to putting the PB2 in the boil and messing with the chiller or a different pot, versus just boiling it with a bit of water and adding to secondary? Wouldn't you get the same amount of flavor and probably more aroma from doing it in this way? Thanks.

I just use mine in a secondary. I made a chocolate peanut butter stout, "Ode to reese's cup". Took 1st out of 35 entries in cat 23 at last years "War of the Worts" at Keystone Homebrew.

I just use mine in a secondary. I made a chocolate peanut butter stout, "Ode to reese's cup". Took 1st out of 35 entries in cat 23 at last years "War of the Worts" at Keystone Homebrew.

And how much PB2 and chocolate did you use?

a lb of PB2, and a canistar of Hershey's cocoa powder, along with 1/2-1 lb of lactose (don't remember exactly).

So i just had my mind blown. My local produce stire had small single serving pb2 packs. So first iff the regular pb is very light in taste. I can see why i only pick up a lught nuttyness and bitter. Now the chocolate pb2 is just amazing. I will be using this the next time.i brew and halving the cocoa.

This thread is a great read. A lot of questions about when to add the powdered PB, but for good reason. Looks like the trader joe's peanut flour was basically this: http://www.localharvest.org/peanut-flour-C14227 which is still in stock. Anyways, I'll be brewing this with another HBT brewer tomorrow & trying a few of the suggestions found here. Should be interesting. Thanks to everyone for all the input.

the75 said:
This thread is a great read. A lot of questions about when to add the powdered PB, but for good reason. Looks like the trader joe's peanut flour was basically this: http://www.localharvest.org/peanut-flour-C14227 which is still in stock. Anyways, I'll be brewing this with another HBT brewer tomorrow & trying a few of the suggestions found here. Should be interesting. Thanks to everyone for all the input.

Keep us posted please!

Cracked open my first bottle of PB Cream Stout. Used a milk stout recipe racked onto one 16oz bag of PB2 (boiled with water first) in the secondary. At bottling, I added 1oz of Watkins PB Extract into the priming sugar mix after the boil had subsided and cooled a bit.

The beer has a great PB smell and very smooth taste. Any more PB would be distracting, in my opinion. The only gripe I have is with head retention. This thing looks like a coke. My recipe had a bit of wheat in it, but I'd recommend adding some caramel/carapils/carafoam to try to improve head retention.

It's still a little green though (couldn't help but crack one open), I'll post an update in a couple of weeks if there's any improvement in head retention.

Awesome. Funny though... I had the opposite experience. Not enough PB flavor, and too much foam.

The choco PB stout recipe had a pound of flaked oats, and i added some flaked wheat as well. I have to let it sit for a few minutes after i pour, to let the head die down.

Didnt get as much PB flavor as i had hoped. Mine is subtle, but noticable. I may try some of the extract flavoring if i do this one again.

I would say that most if not all of the flavor was from the extract added before bottling. Its hard for me to tell how much the PB2 really added -- maybe a bit of mouthfeel, but I haven't made this milk stout recipe before so that may just be from the lactose.

I'm going to pop open another bottle this weekend, I'll give an update if anything has changed.

I just did a peanut butter porter and added 2 jars of pb2 powder and 1 oz of watkins extract during secondary fermentation. I'm nervous that I killed the beer with peanut butter because when I tried it before bottling, the pb flavor was overkill. Anyone else have this occur, and do you think it'll calm down after carbonated?

Last year at GABF I had 5-8 pb beers and at least three of them were delicious. I have been wanting to make a version ever since. Thanks for all the info, can't wait to try a batch myself.

I've spent over an hour reading various posts about adding PB (usually dried or extract). Everyone has a different place in the boil or primary/secondary to throw it in. But I've hardly seen it mentioned about taking PB2 and boiling it with water and after a cooling adding it to a keg. Probably because it would settle and clog all your beer lines, valves, etc.

This is the situation I'm in. I've been working on making a Coco vanilla sweet stout but the one I have on tap now I think could greatly benefit from some PB character. I have a good bit of PB2 and would like to boil some up to liquefy and sanitize then throw it in my keg. Your thoughts?

I was thinking about doing the same thing. I added honey directly to a keg of blonde ale which worked out great. I was also a little worried about clogging the lines with PB2 and was thinking about cutting the dip tube up a couple inches but boiling it and dissolving it ahead of time might be all that's needed.

I have used PB2 in a porter for some time now. I use it in too ways: 1) as a slurry in the boil the last 10 minutes. I mix the entire jar (mix it watery) and 2) in my secondary I add 1/4 cup of dry powder per day for a week. I do not stir.
I have entered this recipe in a few contest over the years and have gotten positive feed back.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'll be keggin up 5 gallons of Chocolate PB Porter later. Did a pound of regular PB2 @10 mins and a pound of chocolate pb2 in secondary for 10 days.

Kegged up my 5 gallons on saturday. Initial taste yesterday had a noticeable peanut butter scent and more chocolate than peanut butter taste. I'll post again once it is fully carbonated in another week or so.

Well I decided to take the chocolate stout off tap after I drank about a gallon of it. Then took the carbonation off it and put it back in a 5gal carboy. I took roughly 10 oz of the pb2 and got it to almost a boil with a little over a quart of water. then added it to the carboy and racked the beer on top. Not sure what will happen but I wanted to give it atry. I wonder if I should have put the beer in first then add the pb. Hard to say. I'm thinking of using some peanut butter extract as well. Where can I find it again, and how much should I use?

So I made a classic stout (pale malt, flaked, roast, 4.7%) and decided to spice it up a bit at the last second. I thought about doing the vodka thing, but I don't have the patience (or the vodka either). I decided just to throw two cans of pb2 into secondary along with 8oz of cacao nibs. I have had lots of success with cacao nibs in the past, but have never tried peanuts. I'll let you know how it turns out!

pb2stout.jpg

pbstout.jpg

What kind of yeast are people finding works well with this stuff. I debating on wyeast 1335 british ale yeast or 1728 scottish ale yeast mostly for their higher temp tolerances and better attenuation. Any thoughts. This stuff sound awesome :beard:

I think I used WLP 002 for mine - brewed a week ago, racked to 2ndary yesterday - SG was around 1.068, FG seems to be at 1.015 - expected a higher FG from the lactose...if I have my numbers right, looking at a 7% brew - was aiming for less then 6%, may dilute with water at kegging. With the sludge left over at racking yesterday, I have some room to play with. (used 2 containers of a choco pb powder like PB2, 4 oz cocoa powder, and one bag of nibs.

Back