Bulk aging vs aging in the bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a wheat wine that needs to age some is there any benefit to aging in bulk vs bottling and aging?

Thanks Jon

I think there have been some discussions on this. I age in bulk for the same reasons I age wine in bulk. Temperature is more consistent and I feel the hundreds of chemicals involved just do better in larger volumes.

I guess bulk aging may be more effective, but I'd do it in the bottle because a high gravity beer like that may take some time to carbonate. You might as well kill two birds with one stone.

I make a cappachino stout(milk stout with coffee coming in at 10.75%) and I find it needs to age 6 months before its at it's peak flavor. My solution? Three months bulk, with three months carbing in the bottle. I drink this beer slow so it typically ages in the bottle for quite a bit, but I like taking my aging time and doing half it's aging in both bulk and bottle. Works for me.

Back