Brewing Classic Styles Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just curious as to how many people own a copy of Brewing Classic Styles

• I own it!

• I don't own it, but I want it.

• I don't own it, and I am not interested in buying it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Just found this and imported, thanks Monger! I've had the book for awhile and have only brewed a few of the recipes, but this will help my quest to brew more. Starting with the Scottish 70/ next week.

Will keep you posted if I find errors.

Hey guys and gals, just bumping the thread to get it on the front page for anyone that hasn't seen it yet. Please, take them and let me know if you see any problems so I can correct them for everyone. Hope everyone had an excellent Thanksgiving and is being safe.:mug:

Wort,

Thanks for all your work on this! I knew I could count on someone at HBT to take this on.

drost

I actually bought the book twice - the first was a hardcopy that I left at my brew buddies house in Michigan. He kept forgetting to mail it to me so I just told to keep it and I bought the Kindle version. I use the recipes as a guide when I want to try a new style, and recently tried the Helles and Dopplebock recipes - they both came out pretty good.
Thanks for putting them in BS for us!

No problem, glad you are brewing from the book. I too use them as a guideline when venturing into an unbrewed style, so I can have a baseline.

Ok guys, another year has passed. How's brewing some of these recipes to let me know if they are on target or not? Hope everyone is having a great New Year, and I hope to hear from any of you that have used the recipes in your brewing.

Anyone having trouble getting the recipes? Please let me know if you are and I can try to take care of the problem for you. Hope everyone is enjoying them.

Just brewed Munich Madness and before that the Cal Common. Although I did download your fine efforts, I bought the book and enter all the recipes as I use them. I find it more comforting to set them up myself.

Just brewed Munich Madness and before that the Cal Common. Although I did download your fine efforts, I bought the book and enter all the recipes as I use them. I find it more comforting to set them up myself.

Good call, this was just for all the lazy asses ;). LOL, funny enough, I have to resize and change the brewing equipment for my own use too. Glad the recipes are sound though and that people are enjoying them being in a ready to go format if they brew that small a batch. Keep having fun guys and let me know more that are brewed.:ban:

I downloaded successfully but don't have the book. I asked for it for Christmas but got Designing Great Beers instead. :)

Tried it, it loops back to the op.

When I grabbed them a month ago they seemed to work fine. I cannot understand how a link to dropbox could loop back to the op, but after 20 years in IT it would not be the strangest unenplained thing I have ever seen a computer do.

Try this. I copied them from his profile, tested them and they worked. Maybe it will work better via a forum post instead of copied off of his profile page.

Beersmith 1 users:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32082071/BS1.zip
Beersmith 2 users:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32082071/BS2.zip
xml file users:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32082071/bcsrecipeinxml.xml

:mug:

Thanks, I have no explanation as to why it's doing that. I figured I was smart enough to click the "click here" button, perhaps not.

The "click here" button on my signature is to the thread. You have to go to my profile page and cut and paste the link you want to the address bar on your browser. It says so in the first post on the BCS thread. The signature is so I can get the word out there while posting in other threads. Sorry if it was a bit confusing, but I wanted to keep this thread link free until the recipes were 100% with everyone. KurtB posted the direct links, and they should work. I am going to post them in the first post like I said i would when the time came.

Ok guys, just received this yesterday.

beerbooks said:
I wanted to touch base about your use of the recipe collection in Brewing Classic Styles. I see you are in Texas too so maybe I could meet you when I'm down in Houston for the weekend - I'd love to buy you a beer!

As far as the BCS recipes collection, these are being used without permission and as a collection they are a violation of the copyright. I wish there was a nicer way to put that but it is what it is. I do, however, understand why it was done and think it can be a valuable resource. What I'd like to do is work towards a solution that would honor the work that you have done but that would also include proper attribution and compensation for my author. I think we could work something out that would turn out mutually beneficial for both parties. What say you?

If you want to discuss over a beer, I can arrange to come to Houston one weekend soon and we could meet to discuss possibilities of how we could best move forward together. In the meantime, I'd appreciate it if you could remove the collection from the site until we get this resolved. Please send me a link when you are done - my work email is [email protected] and my direct home office line is xxx-xxx-xxxx. Call anytime, I'm sometimes in and out as I'm working on a new manuscript about IPA's (thirsty work!) but I will get back to you if I miss your call.

Cheers~
Xxxxx Xxxxx
Publisher, Brewers Publications

What do you guys think I should do? This isn't even from a lawyer. Time to chime in and lets hear your opinions.

Dude, remove the download. They did the right thing and contacted you in a very nice way. They could have just had a lawyer contact you instead.

Yep. I agree. I'd remove them, then meet with her and find out what she has in mind.

I love the downloads, but also own the book.

Yep, I agree too. Remove the downloads (thanks, I got them and I do have the book), and contact her to figure out a way to be "mutually beneficial".

What you don't want is to be contacted by a lawyer. Once a lawyer starts, everyone is screwed. :D

Seriously. If ppl want the recipes, buy the book. Ive used my copy more than any other brewing book I own. Jamil and John spent a ton of time writing it and have selflessly given back to the brewing community for years. What better way to say thank you than buying their great book and resource?

This is obviously just my opinion, so do what you will. I personally don't publicly share these recipes since you can either 1) buy the book or 2) listen to the podcast.

Cheers! :mug:

I agree with the three posts above mine, but I have a unique twist.

I bought the book *because* this thread exists. Oh, I might have purchased it eventually anyhow, but I jumped over to Amazon and bought it right away because I saw this information. The promotion has to be worth something too.

You just saved me a hell of a lot of typing!

I would pull them off the internet now as a showing of good faith and then meet to see if there is a possible solution that works for everyone.

1. Remove them :)
2. Discuss some kind of deal if you want to pursue :D
3. Change them all slightly - rename them and be forever damned by the beer gods. :(

Why do you even have to think about this? He's trying to be a nice guy about it. He could easily have the lawyers shove it up your wazoo! Remove the thread then go talk to the guy.

I find it puzzling that anyone could respond to this request with the thought "What should I do?".

If I were Kristi and I learned of your response I'd revoke the civil invitation and file the civil suit.

My first thought would be "Don't trust anyone on the Interweb." Look up Brewers Publications and make sure they have someone named Kristi in the company. Get her email address and phone number from the company, and verify that she sent the message.

Paranoid? Maybe. But you wouldn't be the first to be scammed in such a way.

I find it puzzling that anyone could respond to this request with the thought "What should I do?".

If I were Kristi and I learned of your response I'd revoke the civil invitation and file the civil suit.

Well lawyers are expensive, even for businesses. It is much easier to reach out the way that she did and solve the problem than to get into the legal process. She did it right.

Plus, her whole customer base is the brewing community. It would be a poor tactical decision to get a reputation as the publisher who sues brewers without making a polite request first.

As I read her letter, I see it a a classy request. Polite, friendly, and non-confrontational. Smart business woman.

Back