Warm Weather Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfranco81

Reaction score
I'm up in the North-East and I am able to keep my fermenters at ~74 with the AC on, but for some yeasts this is not good enough (my Nut Brown Ale tastes like a fruit basket). Are there any yeasts that do notoriously well in the warm weather? What kind of beers would they work with?

74 is a bit warm for pretty much any beer yeast. If you can put the fermenter in a bucket of water and blow a box fan over it (evaporative cooling), you might be able to get it down to 70-72, which works decently well with some IPAs in my opinion.

-D

I used WLP300 (hefe yeast) at 72-75F, the banana flavor was a strong, but I happen to really enjoy that part of the hefe. It was a little too strong a week after bottling, but mellowed after a while to be just right.

Llarian said:
74 is a bit warm for pretty much any beer yeast.

Some Belgian strains run up to 85°F at the brewery. This is very much a function of the massive amounts of yeast they are pitching. The fermentation room is in the 60's.

Try something like the Achouffe strain WLP550 (3522 Ardennes). Of course this means you need the recipe to go along with it.

Latest posts

Back