best northern brewer kit for summer pick 3 in priority with why

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know for summer, but I just bottled the Speckled Heifer PM kit and it is DELICIOUS!

for the summer, you generally want a lighter, dryer lager. For the winter, one generally is looking for a heavier, more robust ale.

What are YOUR favorite 9.. we'll pick 3 of those for you.

Have only brewed three from NB so far but their Caribou Slobber is awesome!

Edit: I should add it's a hoppy brown ale, very tasty with a respectable amount of malt character and a decent OG, just a little high to be considered a real session beer IMO.

1. what they are now calling "read ringer IPA" which is a delicious two-hearted ale clone
2. the speckled heifer is a great summer beer! i like to add a little honey at flame out and a small amount of dryhop
3. bourbon barrel porter.....brew it now and let it sit in secondary all summer and enjoy it in the fall!

madbird1977 said:
And discuss bc I'm putting an order in... :)

I just put speckled in primary. It tasted like it will turn into a nice lawnmower beer. Their sierra madre is nice. Started harsh but 6 weeks later very refreshing

I wasn't a fan of the American Wheat, although it was my first attempt. People liked it, just not for what it was - my feedback was great Lager/Pale Ale/IPA. And they were all craft-beer enthusiasts

For summer, I'd go with the Bavarian Hefeweizen, Petite Saison d'Ete, and Surly Furious Pro. Haven't brewed any of them yet, but all would make good summer brews, and the first two will tolerate higher temperatures well

I fermented the extract versions of bavarian hefeweizen and patersbier last summer. Ambient temps around 70 F in my basement. Both turned out wonderful.

1. Patersbier. Excellent flavor, good for warm weather.

2. American Wheat. Pretty good, can't go wrong with wheat in summertime.

3. Extra Pale Ale. Another good pick.

Surly Cynic, NB Saison, Petite Saison D'ete, Bavarian Hefewiezen, Honey Wiezen, Wry Smile Rye, Irish Blonde, Irish Red.
These are all great summer beers, and have all turned out great. I do all grain, but either way they are delicious.
I haven't tried Patersbier yet, but it's on my list. I have Caribou Slobber but haven't brewed it yet.

Just bottled up the Surly Furious extract kit. Tasted amazing going in the bottles. The Cream Ale will be brewed next Sunday.

Thanks for the feedback, I will get a couple and try them out. So far its Speckled Heifer and perhaps the Patersbier and American Wheat. I couldn't wait to brew so I picked up a kit at the Winehop shop and brewed up my first Kolsch.

Should be good. My hydrometer broke on me while taking out of the star san bucket so I didn't get a reading but oh well.

Thanks again for your insight.

The only 2 Northern Brewer recipes I have ever made are Speckled Heifer and Surly Cynic. Love them both for summertime beers. The Speckled Heifer is a really good refreshing cream ale that everyone likes, including BMC drinkers. The Cynic is a nice slightly tart saison. Not sure how close it is to the real thing because I've never had Surly. But it is good. One Northern Brewer recipe I have had my eye on but haven't made yet is the Irish blonde. Sounds like an interesting lighter beer.

Patersbier - loved it

Extra Pale Ale - brewed it twice, dry hopped both times, came out great.

Innkeeper - Brewed it this past weekend.

Edit: The Honey Kolsch was very good also, everyone liked it.

Latest posts

Back