Blueberry extract question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidv53

Reaction score
Hi....First time making beer without a kit, I am making a recipe as follows:
A Maple Wheat Ale, as found on p. 137 of the book Clone Brews, Here is what is listed:

9.25 lb. M&F wheat DME (55% wheat, 45% barley malt)
1/2 lb. maple syrup
1.5 oz. Willamette @ 5% AA (7.5 HBU) (bittering hop)
1/2 oz. Willamette (flavor hop)
1 tsp. Irish moss
Wyeast's 3056 Bavarian wheat yeast OR Wyeast's 3944 White Beer yeast
1/2 cup corn sugar
1/3 cup maple syrup

I'm only using 9 lb of the M&F wheat DME. I bought some LD Carlson Blueberry Fruit flavoring at the store on impulse. Three questions:

1. If I add the blueberry flavor to this brew, will it work out alright, or do you think the taste will be ruined?
2. When should I add the blueberry flavoring? I was thinking of adding it to the secondary in the amount listed on the bottle, is that OK?
3. Should I refrigerate the extra blueberry flavoring after opening? (I dont imagine so, but just making sure)

Ok thats, all i've got...thanks ahead of time!

homebrewer_99 said:
I'm not a fan of the extract flavors (IMO they taste like soap), but they are best used in the secondary or just prior to bottling.

Agreed. If you are using an extract, you aren't going to get much in the taste department - it's more for aroma. If you do use the extract, add it in right before bottling/kegging.

Maple syrup on blueberry pancakes works. I'm not a fan of wheats, but the best one I've had was blueberry. As mentioned, fruit extracts can be weird. I'd draw a pint before bottling and add extract a drop at a time, until the right level was reached. Then you have to figure out how many drops to the ml/teaspoon and dose the bottling bucket.

add to the secondary and go easy w/ it, and if thats not enough add more at bottling

Back