When did Grolsch switch from brown to green bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jumbo82

Reaction score
A friend of mine found a case of old brown Grolsch bottles in a (dead?) relatives attic. They were pretty dirty and the seals were all shot, but an overnight soak in PBW and replacement seals made them look brand new. I have about a 100 green Grolsch bottles, but I'd never seen a brown one before. I assume Grolsch changed their bottles a while back and was just curious if anyone knew when they did. In the 90s? 80s? Based on the fact that the seals were turning black and crumbling apart, I'd guess these bottles had been sitting up in that attic for a while. Thanks.

I remember reading something about a green bottle shortage in europe a while back. Maybe those bottles are from that period.

Not safe for work

grolsch_beer_disaster.jpg

I have some brown grolsch bottles and one of them used to have a date on the sticker before oxi took the sticker away. If I remember correctly it was 1984

I remember them being green back in the late 70's early 80's. I haven't had a bottle since then, so I don't ever remember seeing brown ones.

Back