I'm Thinking... 09/09/09 Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BierMuncher said:
1.119 is a big beer. If your setup is limited in size, don't take no for an answer. Post your setup and let us help make it work. Supplementing your rig with DME is a very viable option.

Good god that is huge. BP, you forgot to enter 'farking massive' under starter.

I'm not sure I can do this one in my 10 gal rubbermaid MLT. It's also not direct fired(obviously, plastic no like fire), so I won't be able to get back up to 168 for initial mash out.

Holy crap! I glanced over the grain bill, but then looked again.... A 10gal batch would be close to a sack of grain PLUS the sugar!

sheeeeeite...... Thats big......

Oh hey, looking over it, is the american ale yeast going to be able to cut it? or should we go for the abby yeast? I dont have a claculator in front of me but I think the american ale yeast is supposed to crap out ~10%, and that looks like a 11-12% beer depending on FG.....

If I am wrong, please let me know.

That looks awesome. It will definitely challenge my setup. I mash/lauter in a five gallon bucket (wrapped with a wool blanket, thank you very much) and I found myself pretty much near capacity when I brewed an IPA with a 14 pound grain bill. I'm thinking that my maximum gravity for 5 gallons of mashed wort isn't much more than 1.080.

I am leaning toward just doing this as a 3-gallon batch which works out to a bit less than 16 pounds into the mash.

Seems like there ought to be plenty of "juice" left in the mash for a full 5-gallon partigyle batch once I run of the BW wort. For which, by the way, I'm glad to see that we're not using any smoke in the base recipe.

A good starter of Cal. Ale will eat this all up. The Abbey will give it an Abbey character which some might want but I don't think that should be the base yeast.

We could go smaller and make something in the 1.099 range, but I personally thing 1.119 will be awesome! DME could be used if MLTs are on the edge of capacity.

Why is Prince's "1999" going through my head?!

EAC said:
A good starter of Cal. Ale will eat this all up. The Abbey will give it an Abbey character which some might want but I don't think that should be the base yeast.

Ok sweet, I just wanted to make sure:D

BakerStreetBeers said:
Seems like there ought to be plenty of "juice" left in the mash for a full 5-gallon partigyle batch once I run of the BW wort. For which, by the way, I'm glad to see that we're not using any smoke in the base recipe.

That is the first thing I thought of. So what is the 9-9-9 small beer going to be? I have not yet done a Partigyle so I am not sure how the calculations go. How many gravity points will we be looking at.

Also, I am gonna smoke the begezzus out of that :rockin: Sounds like I have a reason to build my new fanged smoking contraption I have been dreaming about...

deathweed said:
What about subbing...(hops)...
Remember this is the default recipe. I'd suggest you get as close as yo can to the exact ingredients, but subbing in hops will certainly be necessary for many given the "environment" we're in.

Here's a Hops Guide to help you decide on suitable substitutes.

Pale Chocolate though, means ordering from morebeer. Not that I don't like them, but just an FYI, they're the only ones that carry it I think. Recipe looks great otherwise, I might sub that one for something else( like half the amount of reg. choclate malt). I realize its not the same though.

WOWZERS what a grain bill...This may be a 3 gallon batch. As others have said, the 10gallon cooler MLT aint' gonna cut it for a 5 gallon batch. SWMBO already doesn't understand why I have 2 MLT's (5/10gal) I can't imagine her understanding the third! HA HA HA.

landhoney said:
Pale Chocolate though, means ordering from morebeer. No that I don't like them, but just an FYI, they're the only ones that carry it I think. Recipe looks great otherwise, I might sub that one for something else( like half the amount of reg. choclate malt). I realize its not the same though.

I'm pretty sure NB just got it in stock recently, as well.

I haven't stretched my legs with something this big yet... would a 10g batch fit in a keggle? Thats almost 60 lbs of malt! :rockin:

I better start plugging my piggy bank, double-time.

landhoney said:
Pale Chocolate though, means ordering from morebeer. No that I don't like them, but just an FYI, they're the only ones that carry it I think. Recipe looks great otherwise, I might sub that one for something else( like half the amount of reg. choclate malt). I realize its not the same though.

American Brewmaster in Raleigh carries pale chocolate. They are my LHBS, so I can vouch for them. I have no idea what they charge for shipping, though, since I always pick up my orders in the store.

Good news:
I've got all the hops in my freezer and more Centennial and Cascades on the bine.
I've got a pound of pale chocolate ready to use for something like this.
This sounds like an awesome beer, I really looking forward to brewing and even better drinking it. :mug:

Bad news:
This doesn't have any chance of fitting in a 5gal cooler.
I'm going to have to use about 5 pounds of DME to get to that gravity.

Lucky for me there is 1.5# of sugar in the recipe, this reduces the amount of DME needed.

Maybe its time to upgrade to that 10 gal cooler :)

Craig

So, what kind of pale malt are we talking about for this beast? I've got to imagine that the difference between 23# of Maris Otter and 23# of domestic 2-row will be huge.

Looks good. Might be a good idea, to get with another brewer in your area and just buy a bag of 2-row and split it. I imagine the price would drop a decent amount doing that.

What are the guidelines on making changes in the recipe for the swap? Not that the recipe doesn't look great, but I would to add a few pounds of flaked rye into mine. If its a big deal ill just leave it out. Also for DFW people Homebrew HQ does carry pale chocolate malt last time I was in their.

landhoney said:
Is there going to be a smoked version, or is it as the brewer see's fit?

For us who are smoking, I suggest smoking the pale malt to a mild smokiness but not an over powering rauchbier-like smokiness. I would say 10-15 minutes on a heavy smoke would be sufficient.

Votes for wood-type? I'm thinking to go milder on the smoke time and harsher on the wood-type to balance this monster a little. Maybe Hickory....

landhoney said:
Is there going to be a smoked version, or is it as the brewer see's fit?

Personally, I'm going to do a smoked BW independant of this and ahead of time, so that I can get some sense of what kind of efficiency to expect with a monster beer. I have no idea right now whether I can expect 80% or 60% with this much grain.

Thinking pretty mild with the smoke; if I use rauchmalt (instread of smoking my own), probably in the 12% - 15% range, versus the 40%+ I'd use for a rauchbier.

RICLARK said:
I Have a 10 Gallon MLT and I don't Think it is gonna cut it for this monster. I think its time to upgrade!:rockin:

Cenntenial is a for sure no go for me. LHBS hasn't seen them in a year.
I think a 10gal cooler should work though it may be near its limit. The recipe is listed with a 65% efficiency. If you could get 70% efficiency then I think you can fit in the 10gal. Just keep a couple pounds of DME on hand just in case. Maybe I'm underestimating the extract efficiency of such a big grain bill but I usually get 80% on my 1.060 beers. I would think that 70% is doable even for one this big.

Craig

the_bird said:
So, what kind of pale malt are we talking about for this beast? I've got to imagine that the difference between 23# of Maris Otter and 23# of domestic 2-row will be huge.

When I see "pale ale" malt, I think Maris Otter.

Briess makes a pale ale malt from domestic barley (kilned to a higher Lovibond than the usual brewer's 2-row) that is a lot less expensive than Maris Otter. It might be a good compromise.

What I have found with big beers is you must sparge 1/2 gallon per pound of grain to get good efficiency, and just boil the hell out of it. A big beer is very doable with a small setup, I still only have a 7.5 gallon pot and have done a few different beers over the 1.1 mark.

Oh, this is looking good. About 4 months to keep my eye out for the hops, shouldn't be too bad. I have been thinking about making a barley wine and aging it. This should work out well.

Sounds delicious!

I have this extra sanke keg lying around that i was thinking about converting to a HLT. I may instead decide to convert it to a mash/lauter vessel, just so I can brew this huge farking beer. I smell a three hour boil in my future.

This would be a great candidate for a Huge starter -- in the form of the yeast cake from a pale ale. I think i just figured out my brews for August and SeptemberI

Here is a smoked version. Note that the Crystal 80 is increased, and the pale decreased to balance the smoked malt.

[SIZE=+2]Smokin' Nines Barleywine[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]19-C American Barleywine[/SIZE]
19.jpg

Size: 5.76 gal
Efficiency: 65.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 400.47 per 12.0 fl oz
Original Gravity: 1.118 (1.080 - 1.120)
|=======================#========|
Terminal Gravity: 1.030 (1.016 - 1.030)
Color: 19.8 (10.0 - 19.0)
|=========================#======|
Alcohol: 11.88% (8.0% - 12.0%)
Bitterness: 99.03 (50.0 - 120.0)
|===================#============|
[SIZE=+1]Ingredients:[/SIZE]
18.0 lbs Pale Ale
5 lbs Smoked Malt
2.0 lbs Munich Malt
6.0 oz Pale Chocolate
4.0 oz Special B - Caramel malt
1.0 lbs Crystal Malt 80°L
1.5 lbs White Table Sugar (Sucrose)
1.66 oz Magnum (14.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1.0 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 25.0 min
1.0 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
1.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
2 ea WYeast 1056 American Ale
[SIZE=+1]Schedule:[/SIZE]
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 ft
00:33:17 Mash In - Liquor: 8.32 gal; Strike: 162.3 °F; Target: 150.0 °F
01:33:17 Saccharification Rest - Rest: 60.0 min; Final: 148.0 °F
01:42:03 Mash Out - Heat: 8.8 min; Target: 168.0 °F
02:27:03 Sparge - Sparge: 1.41 gal sparge @ 170.0 °F, 6.6 gal collected, 45.0 min; Total Runoff: 6.77 gal
[SIZE=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.0.29[/SIZE]

so is this a choose your own adventure with the smoked/nonsmoked option up to the brewer or are we going to have a consensus?

im cool with the choose your own adventure route but otherwise we will need a poll to vote on.

BierMuncher said:
Remember I need a PM from anyone who wants to be "officially" in on the swap.

Are we signing up now for a swap that won't happen for 16 months? That might be a problem come ship day. Maybe we should all have a show of hands to brew and then an official 'yes' in about a year? Or are we sending sooner and the recipient holds until 999?

EDIT: Disregard, I just read the post that explains that. Somehow I missed that entire page.

Has anyone plugged the original (non-smoked) recipe into BeerSmith? I am getting very diffferent stats than the Pastor has stated.

I am probably just an idiot. My default ingredient settings might be different than that of BeerTools Pro.

Boerderij Kabouter said:
For us who are smoking, I suggest smoking the pale malt to a mild smokiness but not an over powering rauchbier-like smokiness. I would say 10-15 minutes on a heavy smoke would be sufficient.

Votes for wood-type? I'm thinking to go milder on the smoke time and harsher on the wood-type to balance this monster a little. Maybe Hickory....

Anyone have experience using peated malt? I was in the morebeer warehouse the other day and took a whiff of a bag of that stuff. I'm not a big rauchbier fan, but I do like me a nice peaty scotch. This BW might be a beer I could handle a little smoke flavor in. Any advice on how much is too much vs. just right?

Couevas said:
Has anyone plugged the original (non-smoked) recipe into BeerSmith? I am getting very diffferent stats than the Pastor has stated.

I am probably just an idiot. My default ingredient settings might be different than that of BeerTools Pro.
Different as in how?

For OG, Notice BrewPastor has used an efficiency of 65% (probably not a bad guess for a grain bill this large)

For IBU, check the alpha acid percent for the hops specified in each tool and check to see which IBU formula you are using. Unless Brewpastor is using the BeerTools formula you should have the same calculator available in Beersmith.

Craig

BakerStreetBeers said:
Anyone have experience using peated malt? I was in the morebeer warehouse the other day and took a whiff of a bag of that stuff. I'm not a big rauchbier fan, but I do like me a nice peaty scotch. This BW might be a beer I could handle a little smoke flavor in. Any advice on how much is too much vs. just right?

NO PEAT!

Peat is HARSH if you use more than a very small amount (like, a couple ounces). David_42 did a barleywine with something like a half-pound of peated malt, IIRC he had to let it age for about two years before it was drinkable (but then it was very nice). Peated malt and rauchmalt are wholly different beasts.

Home smoke if you can. Meaning, purchase whole uncrushed regular malts, smoke them (like you would a roast) then crush them and brew. It is actually quite easy to do. It will be better, and more unique. IMHO

the_bird said:
NO PEAT!

Peat is HARSH if you use more than a very small amount (like, a couple ounces). David_42 did a barleywine with something like a half-pound of peated malt, IIRC he had to let it age for about two years before it was drinkable (but then it was very nice). Peated malt and rauchmalt are wholly different beasts.

Thanks for the tip Bird. I will avoid the peat harshness.

BakerStreetBeers said:
Thanks for the tip Bird. I will avoid the peat harshness.

I don't mind peat as much as some; if you've had Stone Smoked Porter, they use peat malt. It's ok for some very subtle aromatics, but you don't really want to be tasting it.

But, it's just not as good as classic beechwood-smoked rauchmalt, which I find just smooth and velvety and just absolutely wonderful. I do plan to home-smoke, though (as soon as I can find some good freakin' smoker chips; all anyone seems to sell is mesquite and hickory!)

I have heard (that is a phrase that should make you question what I am saying!) that the best wood to use in smoking malt is beechwood. I believe it is what the German rauchbiers use.

I fully agree on the peat.

CBBaron said:
Different as in how?

For OG, Notice BrewPastor has used an efficiency of 65% (probably not a bad guess for a grain bill this large)

For IBU, check the alpha acid percent for the hops specified in each tool and check to see which IBU formula you are using. Unless Brewpastor is using the BeerTools formula you should have the same calculator available in Beersmith.

Craig

IBUS are way off and OG is off by a bit too.

I set my OG to 60% (thinking the hugeness will hurt my eff.)
I checked all alpha acid numbers and are accurate.
Here is my report (I know the pale chocolate will be different)

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: 999 Barleywine
Brewer: Chris Couevas
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Barleywine
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.128 SG
Estimated Color: 25.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 65.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
23.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 82.26 %
2.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 7.15 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 2.68 %
0.38 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.36 %
0.33 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 1.18 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1.66 oz Magnum [14.50 %] (60 min) Hops 50.5 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (25 min) Hops 14.6 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-SHops -
1.50 lb Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 5.36 %
2 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

the_bird said:
IIRC he had to let it age for about two years before it was drinkable (but then it was very nice).

Sounds like a built-in plan to ensure you don't drink it all before reaching the multiple year mark. What's wrong with that? ;)
BTW, I am getting zero work done today - thank you bastids:mad: :fro:

Brewpastor said:
I have heard (that is a phrase that should make you question what I am saying!) that the best wood to use in smoking malt is beechwood. I believe it is what the German rauchbiers use.

I am pretty sure that the Rauchbier is made with Beech. As to the "best" wood, I think it changes by what you are going for with the flavor. I really like apple wood smoke it has a bit more sweetness to it.

Bird- the Menards near me has a great selection of smoking woods, maybe try there.

Back