Corona grain mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a corona mill. It's fine for crushing steeping grains and even for a few pounds of grain for a partial mash, but it's way too inconsistent for all grain batches. I'm getting a Barleycrusher very soon.

I had a corona mill for a while, but it was very tempermental.

Eventually I also went with a Barley Crusher (review) a few years back and I'm very happy with it.

Cheers!
Brad

MikeFlynn74 said:
save and get either Barley Crusher or Monster mill no question
Spoken like someone that has never seriously tried a Corona, I am guessing???

Corona mills (and the knock-offs) work fine. They are temperamental to get adjusted, but once you figure them out they do a good job. There are even a number of us here that get 80%+ efficiency with them.

You also hear of far more people that had successes with them than failures. See an old thread here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=32437

i was going to go that route, but $20 for the mill, and $40 for shipping turned me off.....i opted for the barley crusher........last mill ill use

My take on all this is that you should get the best you can afford.

I have a porkert (corona) mill and am happy with what I get from it and have no desire to replace it. Ignorance is bliss in my case.

I had a Corona mill for several years. It was difficult to adjust, and slow, but it worked. I couldn't get as consistent a crush as I do with my roller mill (JSP) which would have made it more difficult to get consistent efficiency, but in those days I didn't know or worry about efficiency.

-a.

If it were going to cost me $60 to get a Corona, I probably would save my pennies and buy a BC (which you can get shipped for just about twice that).

But, you shouldn't have to spend THAT much for a Corona; keep an eye on eBay, and I know lots of people have upgraded, so I bet there's quite a few collecting dust on a shelf somewhere.

If you've got the dough burning a hole in your pocket get one of the fancy ones. If not (like many folks) get a corona style. I paid $32 at my LHBS a few years ago.

I have had consistent results for quite a while. Albeit I was getting consistently low efficiency (60%) it was consistent. Recently I tightened the plates a bit for no particular reason.

Bam. Next 2 batches I got 72% efficiency!

As a tip... I place a few washers on the bolts to hold the plates a bit wider apart. I believe this has helped to keep it consistent and stop the frequent adjustments most folks complain about. Also, you can rig a larger hopper and also make it turn with a drill.

:mug:

I only do 7lb mashes, and the corona works fine. It's just a little more involved, as I find myself occasionally tweaking the crush midstream if it gets too fine or coarse.

I'm averaging 90% in my efficiencies, so I know it's a good crush, even though that high number has a lot to do with the rest of my process.

Not a bad mill for smaller batches, but your arm WILL get tired doing 10-12lb crushes. I'd get a better mill in that case.

bradsul said:
A simple $0.40 modification on most corona mills will let you motorize it with a drill, there's no reason to hand crank a batch!

I'm an old fashoned hands on kind of guy. I enjoy hand cranking my grain, and "manually" fly sparge by doing little circles/big circles over the grain bed. I guess it makes me feel more active in my brewing. I like to stay busy.

I use This for milling grain:

maltmill.jpg

I hook a drill up to that sucker instead of cranking it by hand and I can go through about 3 lbs of grain in about 10 - 12 seconds. It was a great investment. I had a Corona mill and it broke the 2nd time I used it. I'm sure people have gotten good use out of them, but I'd still recommend the bigger more kickass mills / crushers.

Papa Charlie still uses a Corona mill and consistently gets efficiencies in the 80's.

bradsul said:
A simple $0.40 modification on most corona mills will let you motorize it with a drill, there's no reason to hand crank a batch!

Are there details on this somewhere?

9/9 said:
Are there details on this somewhere?
There isn't much to detail, it pretty much just involves a bolt with the head cut off and a lock nut. Screw the bolt into the hole that held the handle on, then tighten up the lock nut. You can further complicate by using a file or grinder or something to flatten one side of the threads to give the drill better grip.

bradsul said:
There isn't much to detail, it pretty much just involves a bolt with the head cut off and a lock nut. Screw the bolt into the hole that held the handle on, then tighten up the lock nut. You can further complicate by using a file or grinder or something to flatten one side of the threads to give the drill better grip.

Thanks. I will look into this once I get my hands on a mill.

I've got a Corona and it instantly upped my efficiency from store crushed (or rolling pin *sigh*) efficiency.

You can buy a better mill, but of course its going to cost you money. (Quite a bit more) All in all, i'm quite happy with the $20 or so I bought it for off of eBay.

bradsul said:

A simple variation on this theme:
A 5/16" bolt with a jam nut in the mill, & a hex to 1/4" socket adapter along with a 1/2" socket in the drill. It is a little nicer this way because I can just slip the drill on and off as needed.

My now suddenly ex-fiance (a story suitable for a 3 night epic mini-series) recently bought me a Corona mill for Valentines day. I haven't used it yet but now that we have gone our separate ways I'm considering returning it and using the money towards a roller mill. I guess I'm torn between keeping a mill that is already paid for or spending more $$ on a different one when I don't even know how well this one will work yet.

I've been using a Corona with an electric drill for 5 or 6 years now and have no reason to change. It works great for me.

Here's a tip: To add hopper capacity, cut the bottom out of a 5gal PET water-cooler bottle. Turn it upside down into the Corona hopper (it fits perfectly). Now you have about 24lb grain capacity in your Corona mill.

IMAGE_032.jpg

Mill with drill and "hopper".

My Corona knock-off with large hopper cost $38 shipped from ebay.
It gives excellent crush. The husks are a little shredded but filtration rate is excellent and eff. if better than store crush.

Get one with the shroud over top of the plates, it will be less messy.

Definitely a decent way to go for mini-mash or low gravity 5 gallon brewers unless you have lots of green.

I use This for milling grain:

maltmill.jpg

I hook a drill up to that sucker instead of cranking it by hand and I can go through about 3 lbs of grain in about 10 - 12 seconds. It was a great investment. I had a Corona mill and it broke the 2nd time I used it. I'm sure people have gotten good use out of them, but I'd still recommend the bigger more kickass mills / crushers.

I'm not sure you could break a corona mill without doing something stupid. They're all cast iron.

I was about to go the route of buying grain in bulk and milling it myself, but then I calculated the cost vs. my LHBS and I decided to not go the route of buying a grain mill.

It seems like the average cost (including shipping) for a 50 lb sack of 2-row is around $65. That's 1.30 per pound. My LHBS sells it for $1.32 per pound crushed. I really couldn't see the need to invest in a mill to save $0.02 per pound. If anyone can point me to a cheaper alternative for bulk grain in the Dallas area I am all ears!

If I were to get a mill, the best deal I found was at Brewmaster's Warehouse. $85 shipped, but you have to build your own hopper and base. http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/product/0102165/crankandstein-2s

I was about to go the route of buying grain in bulk and milling it myself, but then I calculated the cost vs. my LHBS and I decided to not go the route of buying a grain mill.

It seems like the average cost (including shipping) for a 50 lb sack of 2-row is around $65. That's 1.30 per pound. My LHBS sells it for $1.32 per pound crushed. I really couldn't see the need to invest in a mill to save $0.02 per pound. If anyone can point me to a cheaper alternative for bulk grain in the Dallas area I am all ears!

$65 is not average cost. $65 is "your LHBS is laughing at you when you leave" cost.

I pay $27 for bags of 2-row from country malting group. They'll ship 4+ bags freight, and I'd be surprised if it comes out to more than $10 a bag shipping.

Also, you LHBS has cheap milled grain. Mine wants over $2/lb.

How long does it take you guys to mill around 15lbs of grain with a corona mill and a power drill?

A few minutes. Most of that is stopping to fill my dinky hopper. If I made one of those Ozarka hoppers it'd take less.

I've used a Corona for years and it works fine. My efficiency is in the 80s, I never have a stuck sparge, and it my beer tastes good. The only problem is that you'll get a bit more astringency than with either a good mill or from buying pre-crushed grains (and I'm not talking from your LHBS with his Corona). The Corona mill shreds the husks and thereby contributes to the astringency, whereas a good barley crusher won't. All the beers I crushed myself and submitted to competitions mentioned some astringecy. After ruling out the usual suspects, I bought some pre-crushed grains and the problem went away. Comparing the pre-crushed side-by-side with my Corona crushed grains was quite a difference. I now use my Corona mostly for specialty grains and try to avoid crushing base grains if I can avoid it. That's my two cents, take it for what its worth.

I'm not sure you could break a corona mill without doing something stupid. They're all cast iron.

I busted my corona knock-off (grizzly) the first time I used it. I cranked away for over an hour for a 12# grist and one of the cast gussets cracked all the way through. I ended up getting an actual old school corona mill off my landlord and it is much more solid than that cheap piece of ****.

Papa Charlie still uses a Corona mill and consistently gets efficiencies in the 80's.

Papa Charlie uses a "genuine" Corona. And he used that before most mills were even commercially available. If you enjoy re-engineering and re-designing, then the knock-offs are for you. If you simply want to crush grains correctly and efficienctly, get a Monster Mill or equivalent (i.e. roller).

$65 is not average cost. $65 is "your LHBS is laughing at you when you leave" cost.

I pay $27 for bags of 2-row from country malting group. They'll ship 4+ bags freight, and I'd be surprised if it comes out to more than $10 a bag shipping.

Also, you LHBS has cheap milled grain. Mine wants over $2/lb.

$65 seems to be the average cost from on-line HBS. Northern Brewer sells a 50 lb bag of 2-row for $36, but shipping to Dallas is $35. Austin Homebrew Supply has $8 shipping, but their price for a 50 lb bag is $60. My LHBS offers a 0.10 per pound discount for bulk orders.

$65 seems to be the average cost from on-line HBS. Northern Brewer sells a 50 lb bag of 2-row for $36, but shipping to Dallas is $35. Austin Homebrew Supply has $8 shipping, but their price for a 50 lb bag is $60. My LHBS offers a 0.10 per pound discount for bulk orders.

Which is why you don't buy from those places unless they're willing to do freight shipping. When you buy a bag from an online shop, it needs to be shipped twice, and you're paying for both of those, and generally you're paying shipping per bag, not combined freight.

Buy from a malting supplier, and buy in bulk. If you buy 4+ bags, I bet Country Malting can get it to your house for less than $1/lb.

Back