first all grain today. Need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Comos

Reaction score
I'm brewing this today.

10lb Golden Promise
1/2 carapils
1/2 british med crystal
1/2 aromatic
1/2 dom wheat
1/2 mclanoidin
1oz chocolate

1oz kent goldings 60min
1 1/2 uk fuggles 15
1/2 " " 0

Safale 04

Since i'm brewing today and dont know how to get calculations from any sort of software, can anyone help out with mash volume and temp? I need to sit down soon and learn how to use software for this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I hate to be "that" guy, but honestly trying an all grain batch is a big deal if you have never done one before. It is important that you do a good amount of reading before hand so that you do an all right job. When I did my first one it was kind of hectic, and I had all the procedures outlined: mash temp, vol, etc...

I recommend reading as much as possible on howtobrew.com. They have an all grain procedure outlined to follow. You will definitely learn a ton! Happy reading :)

I know it is far from scientific-and I'm a relative N00b to AG, but I've had success with the following general procedure:

-Heat up about 4 gallons of water to 170
-Dough in the water to the grain, stirring to make sure there's no lumps or dry pockets. Add a little grain, then a little water and repeat until it's the consistency of oatmeal (not too thick or too thin).
-Take the temp from various parts of the mash. If it's closer to 150-it'll finish more dry...closer to 160 it'll finish more sweet.
-Add hot or cold water to reach desired mash temp and close mash tun and let sit for 60-90 min.

I sparge until I have 6.5 gallons, and boil for an hour or until it gets down to 5.5 gallons (tends to boil off at a gallon an hour-or close to it).

That's the layman's terms...I know there are more precise ways, but the monks and the Egyptians never had any software either.

Back