Canadian HBS stops mail order. Who's left?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My HBS at www.grapeandgrain.ca will ship. He doesn't have a nice online order page because he doesn't do enough e-business so you'll have to order through email. That would probably change if he got more orders. I'd be happy to be an intermediary on his products for you if you want. I want this guy to do well and stay in business.

Cool thanks peeps. I will be looking into these My HBS is running really thin. and there is only a very slim selection. this helps out tremendously

I'm not doing too badly with my semi-local BOP shop (35 minutes away). Unfortunately they don't carry much beyond the standard so if I want anything special I have to buy 25KG which obviously doesn't happen. They do carry White Labs however so on the rare occasion I want a liquid yeast I can at least get that.

sAvAgE said:
:eek:I asked from my place to see if I could get some Marris Otter. I was quoted like 175.00

Yesterday I bought 8kg of Maris Otter, 8kg of domestic 2-row, and 120 grams of Fuggles for just over $50 from Grape and Grain. I'll make 20 gallons of brew from that. Of course, you guys would have to pay shipping. :D

For $175 they must be ordering right from the UK or something. I buy it for $57 from my "L"HBS and the next time I need to order more I'm going to get it from Gilbertson & Page which is about 15 minutes north of me, supposedly this is where they get their grains from. It might be worthwhile to fire off an email for the heck of it and see if they'll ship.

I can get specialty grains from a brewoub, but yeast is mail order. I'm trying to find a bunch of sabrew 33 dried yeast for making belgians. I bought a 500g brick of safale 04 already.

My neighbor and I have had problems in the summer with ordering liquids. It gets really hot here in the summer and even with cold packs if the shipment speds a weeeknd in a wharehouse, the yeast can be fried.

For hops call Bob at 416-576-5674. http://beerandwinefilter.com/

He only received 30K Lbs this year but after contracts he should have enough for us small bacth people. :)

View attachment Price List - Beer Items.xml

Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
...I bought a 500g brick of safale 04 already...
How long does a brick like that last? I'm using Nottingham almost exclusively (I make mostly English ales and stouts) and I was wondering about saving some money and buying a brick. But it would take me a long time to go through 500g at 11g a batch.

Yes, it is very sad that Paddock Wood has closed its retail shop. I actually got in one of their last orders on Friday.

Denny -- have you ordered from Dan's Homebrew in Van or Askims Homebrew in Vic? Both seem like good places, and probably the best out west. I have also done a fair bit of business from Skinaney, but shipping gets to be pretty expensive. I just placed a hop and grain order with La Cachette de Bootlegger in Montreal, and they seem great. None of these places have the variety or web savvy that Paddock Wood had, though.

I hate to say it, but I will probably end up using Morebeer.com a lot more in the future. They ship USPS to Canada (one of the few big online HBS to do so), so shipping is actually cheaper than from within Canada for me. Plus, now that the Canadian dollar is worth more than the American dollar, it is actually pretty cheap to go through them in the long run.

BTW: sAvAgE -- where are you shopping for brewing supplies? If you don't already, go to Southside Brew Crew. I picked up a sack of two-row there a year ago for about 10 or 15% above cost. You should be able to order a sack of Maris Otter from them for less than $50, I would guess. If not, take a trip down the QE2 and pick up some Maris Otter from Canada Malting -- I think I paid $35 from them last year. Their warehouse is near Red Deer.

Yeah, buy from Dan on occassion when I'm in Vancouver. He doesn't take credit cards so payment is a bit of a pain.

Oh bradsul, I brick will last a long time but you really need to vacum seal it. I'm planning on dividing it into two sanitized vacum sealable containers. One I'll use on brewday then reseal. Store them in the freezer.

Nottingham Ale Danstar Nottingham Dry British Ale Yeast, 500gm block 500 gm $39.95 ea. at beerandfilter

I can't find any induvidual 11g safale/brew/lager packs in canada. What gives there??

I can order a brick or a box of sachettes, but not induvidual sachettes.

So, no shipping hassles with moorebeer?

Yeah, buy from Dan on occassion when I'm in Vancouver. He doesn't take credit cards so payment is a bit of a pain.
Yeah -- I heard he was going to start using PayPal -- that is what Todd and Tracy do at Skinaney Brewing in Ottawa, and it works fine. I wish Dan would -- he could get a lot of new business with Paddock Wood out of the scene.

I can't find any induvidual 11g safale/brew/lager packs in canada. What gives there??

I can order a brick or a box of sachettes, but not induvidual sachettes.
La Cachette du Bootlegger sells Fermentis yeast:
http://www.cachettedubootlegger.ca/grhopyst.html (scroll to bottom of page)

So, no shipping hassles with moorebeer?
Nope -- done three orders in the last few months and they arrive after about a week. Ship USPS and it is cheap an no ridiculous brokerage fees like UPS or FedEx. If you keep your order under about $100 or $150, customs won't even bother with it so you are unlikely to even pay duty (if applicable) or GST.

FlyGuy said:
Yes, it is very sad that Paddock Wood has closed its retail shop. I actually got in one of their last orders on Friday.

Denny -- have you ordered from Dan's Homebrew in Van or Askims Homebrew in Vic? Both seem like good places, and probably the best out west. I have also done a fair bit of business from Skinaney, but shipping gets to be pretty expensive. I just placed a hop and grain order with La Cachette de Bootlegger in Montreal, and they seem great. None of these places have the variety or web savvy that Paddock Wood had, though.

I hate to say it, but I will probably end up using Morebeer.com a lot more in the future. They ship USPS to Canada (one of the few big online HBS to do so), so shipping is actually cheaper than from within Canada for me. Plus, now that the Canadian dollar is worth more than the American dollar, it is actually pretty cheap to go through them in the long run.

BTW: sAvAgE -- where are you shopping for brewing supplies? If you don't already, go to Southside Brew Crew. I picked up a sack of two-row there a year ago for about 10 or 15% above cost. You should be able to order a sack of Maris Otter from them for less than $50, I would guess. If not, take a trip down the QE2 and pick up some Maris Otter from Canada Malting -- I think I paid $35 from them last year. Their warehouse is near Red Deer.

Thanks for the advice, yes that is where I shop for my supplies. I will definatley keep that in mind :)

:mug:

Austin Homebrew will ship USPS now as well. I ordered in their 10% off HBT sale and shipping and customs on the $100CAD order was less than the fees on a $31USD order shipped UPS.

...Oh bradsul, I brick will last a long time but you really need to vacum seal it. I'm planning on dividing it into two sanitized vacum sealable containers. One I'll use on brewday then reseal. Store them in the freezer.

Nottingham Ale Danstar Nottingham Dry British Ale Yeast, 500gm block 500 gm $39.95 ea. at beerandfilter...
Beer wine and filter looks pretty sweet, they aren't that far from my office, do you know if they have a storefront or is it just mail order?

Give Bob a shout. It's his cell phone. I believe the hops are kept at a large refrigerated Warehouse.

For all who are interested my site is up and taking orders for all homebrew supplies, canadian based and operated out of toronto..
I'd post here but probably get poo poo, email me if you want the address

For all who are interested my site is up and taking orders for all homebrew supplies, canadian based and operated out of toronto..
I'd post here but probably get poo poo, email me if you want the address

You know, for the low, low price of $50 you can become a vendor and peddle your wares at will to us Canadian homebrewtalk brewers. We have a group here at HBT you could target directly with specials, sales, etc.

Back