Keezer Temp Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandyeggoxj

Reaction score
I am going to replace the analog controller I have with a digital type. I am looking at the ranco (ETC-111000-000) and love (ts-13010) controllers. There is about $20 difference in price for me and I would have to wire up both. The love looks smaller and seems like something I could flush mount in my collar for a real sleek look. Whatever I use and like will get purchased again in the near future for fermentation control.

Of course I have thought about going with a FermTroller setup and running serving and fermentation off the same controller.

Because the Ranco controllers do not provide any kind of "anti-short-cycle" function, I would not use one with a freezer.

An alternative to the Ranco and Love is the STC-1000 (often referred to as the eBay aquarium controller). It requires some user assembly (ie: wiring) but it provides all the bells and whistles to control a freezer and it is way cheaper than either of the models you listed.

Added Bonus: there's a long running thread on how folks have set their STC-1K controllers up - including collar mounting...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/

Cheers!

+1 on the STC-1000. I use three (fermenter chamber, lagering freezer and keezer). They are inexpensive, yet very effective.

Because the Ranco controllers do not provide any kind of "anti-short-cycle" function, I would not use one with a freezer.

An alternative to the Ranco and Love is the STC-1000 (often referred to as the eBay aquarium controller). It requires some user assembly (ie: wiring) but it provides all the bells and whistles to control a freezer and it is way cheaper than either of the models you listed.

Added Bonus: there's a long running thread on how folks have set their STC-1K controllers up - including collar mounting...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/

Cheers!

If it's set correctly a Ranco controller will work on a freezer.

Whatever. With the availability of superior controllers for a third of the cost I for one could not recommend the Ranco series (even though I own a single stage model which manages a cold season ferm chamber)...

Cheers!

Whatever. With the availability of superior controllers for a third of the cost I for one could not recommend the Ranco series (even though I own a single stage model which manages a cold season ferm chamber)...

Cheers!

I like the Ranco because it's dual stage and you can find them pre-wired.

Those look interesting. Can they display in Fahrenheit as well or just Celsius?

Just Celsius. I keep a *C/*F cheat sheet taped to the side of the outlet box, but over time, I've come to use it less and less.

Those look interesting. Can they display in Fahrenheit as well or just Celsius?

As mentioned, the STC-1000 is celcius only. There's a slightly different model that looks the same as the STC-1000, but is single stage and reads in °F. I have one for my keezer, and two in the control panel for my HERMS. Only reason I bought them is that at the time they were cheaper than the STC-1000, and for those purposes I don't need dual stage control. These days the STC-1000 is generally cheaper.

For my ferm chamber where I need dual stage control and use an STC-1000, I just printed out a °C to °F conversion chart and taped it to the fridge. Like BigFloyd said, after a while you won't even need it.

I just bought the same ranco your looking at.10 minute wire up,simple as pie.Set to 32 deg.Works like a champ $45 cant beat it.

Can't be beat? Must be new math. I'd have sworn something that works better, is at least as easy to wire, yet costs less than half that $45 would be the "can't be beat" winner...

Cheers!

I looked into the stc 1000.I youtubed wiring and it seemed a bit more work.(could be wrong).It also seemed as if most were building them into some sort of box with just the display showing,making it more of a project.The ranco is basicly plug and play.To each there own,works for me.

The stc looks nice, but I think I'll stick with the love. It is $68 to my door and it displays in Fahrenheit. Having the display in Celsius would drive me nuts.

There are models of the stc-1k that display in F (all mine do). What sucks are the low amp relays in them. The ranco and Johnson A419 are available as PLug n play and don't need an enclosure built. The best on the market is the control concepts one. Was $50 on amazon - up to $100 now... I have 3 stc-1k's, 3 rancos, 2 control concepts and 4 MyPin PIDs.

There are models of the stc-1k that display in F (all mine do). What sucks are the low amp relays in them. The ranco and Johnson A419 are available as PLug n play and don't need an enclosure built. The best on the market is the control concepts one. Was $50 on amazon - up to $100 now... I have 3 stc-1k's, 3 rancos, 2 control concepts and 4 MyPin PIDs.

I've not seen any STC-1000 that read in Fahrenheit. There are some nearly identical looking models that read in Fahrenheit, but they're single stage units, not dual stage like the STC-1000. Do you have a link to the STC-1000 that reads in Fahrenheit?

JuanMoore said:
I've not seen any STC-1000 that read in Fahrenheit. There are some nearly identical looking models that read in Fahrenheit, but they're single stage units, not dual stage like the STC-1000. Do you have a link to the STC-1000 that reads in Fahrenheit?
nm. F ones are single relay. Hmmm. Thought mine was double. MyPins are double and are around $30. You can turn off the PID function and use absolute control.

nm. F ones are single relay. Hmmm. Thought mine was double. MyPins are double and are around $30. You can turn off the PID function and use absolute control.

Hah! Your pre-edit post sent me to flea-bay, where I searched through the first 100 results without any luck. :cross: All I was finding is the single stage ones like I have in my keezer and HERMS control panel. There are a lot of great options out there at reasonable prices, including PID's, STC-1000's, and the new dual stage Wilhi's. And for many situations, like my keezer, dual stage isn't really necessary.

Back