Considering Fruit Beer for Second Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCMuggs13

Reaction score
I am starting to think about what I want to do for my second brew and I was considering trying to do a fruit beer for my drinking buddy who loves mangoes. From reading it seems most people add the fruit to their secondary and rack on top of it.

I have 2 6.5 gallon buckets: my primary fermenter and my bottling bucket. I had considered doing primary in my bottling bucket, secondary in my other one and then back to the bottling bucket for bottling. Someone pointed out that this would normally be a bad idea because the bucket has too much head space for a 5 gallon brew and I would lose the CO2 blanket in the secondary, but what about if adding fruit? I assume the sugars from the fruit would cause further fermentation to occur giving me another CO2 blanket in the secondary. Does this sound right? What do you guys think? Or would I be better off trying to add it after the boil before the yeast and no secondary? Or should I avoid fruit beer altogether until I have some more experience and equipment?

I would get a 5 gallon carboy but it might be okay to ferment for say two weeks then pasteurize your fruit or add the canned stuff which is good to go and gently pour it into your primary and give it at least another two weeks then bottle. Yes you should get a secondary fermentation when adding the fruit especially if it’s pureed.

cavemanbrews said:
I would get a 5 gallon carboy but it might be okay to ferment for say two weeks then pasteurize your fruit or add the canned stuff which is good to go and gently pour it into your primary and give it at least another two weeks then bottle. Yes you should get a secondary fermentation when adding the fruit especially if it’s pureed.

So are you saying I should just add it to the primary after a couple weeks and leave it in the primary or rack it into my second bucket? Assuming I do not get a carboy that is...

I just bottled a raspberry wheat tonite. I added the fruit to the primary and let it set for a couple weeks then checked gravity. Still had a nice fruit flavor but not overwhelming at bottling.

I just did a honey mango blonde ale and it came out great. Added honey and mango to secondary. The head space shouldn't be too much of a problem as long as the transfer is not too turbulent there will be cO2 that is suspended in the beer and will be released once you transfer so it should give you extra room. I used a 6.5 for secondary and didn't have any problems

I just did a honey mango blonde ale and it came out great. Added honey and mango to secondary. The head space shouldn't be too much of a problem as long as the transfer is not too turbulent there will be cO2 that is suspended in the beer and will be released once you transfer so it should give you extra room. I used a 6.5 for secondary and didn't have any problems

Okay so you went from one bucket to another? sounds like you will be okay then CCMuggs!

Yes, I transferred it from one 6.5 to a second one. Also I used the dole fresh frozen mango and dipped it in star-San then put it in a food processor and then thinly sliced it so that I could put a strainer on the siphon and not get sediment. Also be sure to taste the mango before you use it. Some of the stuff out there is not very good. But it is also mango season so you could just use fresh and shave it.

wfowlks said:
I just did a honey mango blonde ale and it came out great.

Any chance you have that recipe on hand? That sounds pretty delicious

Are you doing all grain or extract? Mine was all grain but I can convert it for you if you'd like

wfowlks said:
Are you doing all grain or extract? Mine was all grain but I can convert it for you if you'd like

Extract, I don't have the equipment for grain yet

Here it goes:

5.5 gallon recipe:

0.5 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt 20L
7.5 lbs Pale Liquid Malt Extract or 6 lbs of Pale Dry malt Extract

Steeping Grains:
Steep the Caramel/Crystal for 30-60 minutes @150 F in 3 gallons of water (or however much you typically use for steeping)

Boil:
.5 oz Centennial @ 60 minutes
.25 oz Centennial @20 minutes
Add LME/DME @ 10 minutes (improves clarity)
.25 oz Cenennial @ flameout

Let sit for 20 min, then cool.

Pitch US-05 and ferment at 64 F for 14 days
Rack to secondary for 14 days adding 2 lbs mango and 1 lbs honey
Gellatin will help it get nice and clear before racking to bottles or kegging.

Hope you like it. Let me know how the extract version turns out, if it's good I'll add it to the Ag recipe

I would definitely use fresh fruit in this season, and let it ripen as much as possible without getting gross. IMO Costco has the best fresh ripe mangoes. Put the whole fruit skin and all in a bowl full of water and a campden tab(s) for a day in the fridge, then peel and cut the flesh from the skin and pit, process it in a clean container, and put the fruit flesh and juice in a carboy, then siphon beer on top.

Give primary fermentation lots of time to finish fermenting and to clear up before adding fruit.

I would just get a carboy for secondary so that I could take my time, not worry, and limit headspace.

Back