Attention sinus cold suffers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrdinaryAvgGuy

Reaction score
I've had a horrible sinus cold for about a week now and have been dying to try my first homebrewed beer. It has been fermenting for 3 weeks and in the bottle one.

I know... But it's just one and I can't wait any longer.

After taking all types of OTC drugs and nasal sprays, I decided to try something different after not getting satisfactory results.

For years, I have always seen this thing called a nedi pot at the drug store. If you have not heard of it, it looks like a small genie lamp. In short, you use distilled water or boiled and cooled water and mix it with the provided salt. Ram that bad boy up one nostril with your head tilted to one side and a geyser comes out the other nostril. Disgusting and a very weird sensation.

Afterwards, you blow your nose it clears your passages.

For the first time in a week i can almost taste what I'm drinking! Just thought I would share if anyone was interested.

On a side note, I have about 6 bud light brews in my fridge that are at least a year old. They were left here by a friend perhaps last superbowl?

If you have beer that you don't want to drink in your fridge here's a tip. Wait until you are sick and your sinuses are not working to drink. Brilliant! To think - I was just about to use these brews to soak my feet in. What a waste!

FYI You can make your own salt solution. This is what my dads Dr gave him for a recipe

½ to 1 teaspoon non-iodized salt (such as pickling or canning salt)
Pinch of baking soda (to prevent burning – can increase the amount as needed)
1 cup of warm water (preferably filtered or previously boiled water)

I had a deviated septum from playing football, so I had to have a rhinoplasty. My dr gave me a attachment for a waterpic. I still use it when I get a head cold. A little hot water, and salt does wonders. Same concept but more pressure washer than garden hose. It certainly takes a little getting used to, but it works.

FYI You can make your own salt solution. This is what my dads Dr gave him for a recipe

½ to 1 teaspoon non-iodized salt (such as pickling or canning salt)
Pinch of baking soda (to prevent burning – can increase the amount as needed)
1 cup of warm water (preferably filtered or previously boiled water)

I had a deviated septum from playing football, so I had to have a rhinoplasty. My dr gave me a attachment for a waterpic. I still use it when I get a head cold. A little hot water, and salt does wonders. Same concept but more pressure washer than garden hose. It certainly takes a little getting used to, but it works.

Thanks for the info. The pot came with 30 packets. Will have to make this when that supply runs out.

I've been using it for years and its awesome.

Just a word of caution though. It's absolutely critical to use ro or distilled water and make sure you thoroughly clean the pot after every use and dry it out well. If used improperly its a sinus infection waiting to happen. Also make sure to not overuse it. Don't take my word for it though look it up and you'll find how to properly use and the to dos and not to dos.

With the cautions aside it's amazing isn't it???

Its also great when you get a cold as ive noticed it reduces the symptoms and makes the cold pass quickly.

I've been using it for years and its awesome.

Just a word of caution though. It's absolutely critical to use ro or distilled water and make sure you thoroughly clean the pot after every use and dry it out well. If used improperly its a sinus infection waiting to happen. Also make sure to not overuse it. Don't take my word for it though look it up and you'll find how to properly use and the to dos and not to dos.

With the cautions aside it's amazing isn't it???

Its also great when you get a cold as ive noticed it reduces the symptoms and makes the cold pass quickly.

Yeah, I read about a couple people dying due to some bacteria that is common in water supplies. I boiled mine for one min and cooled. The directions say to boil for 3 mins at high elevation.

It is truly amazing. I didn't know what to expect when i used it but am pleased with results. I think more folks would use it if they could get over the fact of ramming a tea kettle up their nose hole and giving it a salt bath.

Have you tried a humidifier? That helps me out quite a bit.

Give it a try. I'm in Texas and when I have to run the heater it dries the air out substantially. I've used a humidifier this year and have not had a single sinus infection.

I bought one, but it doesn't allow me to put pressure on it. Just runs the water through. I've used a few times and probably should get back to using it.

I agree that a humidifier can help. It's really dry here in the winter. It's faster to just boil some water (or wort) on the stove. The humidifier takes a while to do it's thing.

Mine is pretty quick.

Neilmed makes a Netti pot you can force water through. I used it, but be careful, it will end up in your ears.

I wish my problem was just congestion. Any one here with allergies, try anything before you go on Flonase. I have to take it throughout the winter for seasonal allergies. It does work great, but at the cost of my sense of smell. I litterally cannot smell anything during use and for about three weeks after I stop. It makes brew club a little frustrating. Everyone is discussing an aroma that I have no chance of even remotely sensing.

If you have beer that you don't want to drink in your fridge here's a tip. Wait until you are sick and your sinuses are not working to drink. Brilliant! To think - I was just about to use these brews to soak my feet in. What a waste!

Actually I have a brother-in-law for all my old beers. :D

I get horrible sinus problems during the Fall and Spring. They get so bad I sometimes miss a few days of work because of the head pain.

I'll definitely try this.

I'm a big believer in the neti pot. I have bad tonsillar stones, too and it takes care of those a treat, too. I will use it in the shower to simplify things and if I'm careful to use it once per day, I get sick less and no nasty tonsillar stones! Beautiful!

One caution though: my sister used to make her own saline solution but once put too much salt in it. The hypertonic solution wreaked havoc with her mucous membranes and a tear duct. She was flat miserable for a few days. I laughed my ass off at her. Now she uses the pre-made packets.

Hypertonic hurts me pretty bad. I try to stay with the normal dosing. Maybe even lighter than normal.

Back