thermapen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrduna01

Reaction score
Thinking of returning a refractometer for a thermapen. I don't think this refractometer will be much use to me as the scale is really small in the view finder thingy and it seems more trouble than its worth. I'd prefer the ol' manual hydrometer for ease of use. Will I regret doing this? I ask because I've not used the refractometer yet. If the thermapen is a good swap can anyone share a link to the most common thermapen for brewing? Thanks!

Which refractometer did you get?? You put the eye piece up against your eye socket in order to get a good reading. I've been using refractometers for a while and have zero issues. I even remove my glasses to read them [properly] if I don't have my contacts in. I say either exchange the refractometer for a better one, or learn how to use it correctly. :eek: :D

Which refractometer did you get?? You put the eye piece up against your eye socket in order to get a good reading. I've been using refractometers for a while and have zero issues. I even remove my glasses to read them [properly] if I don't have my contacts in. I say either exchange the refractometer for a better one, or learn how to use it correctly. :eek: :D
Its on northern brewer at http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brix-specific-gravity-refractometer-w-atc.html. It was a gift and I actually never wanted a refractometer and am perfectly happy with my hydrometer. I just don't know if I return it if I am missing out on something that is really quite awesome but from playing around with it I am leaning toward getting something that I HAVE always wanted which is a great thermometer so that I am not always guessing on my temps. And I DO know how to use it correctly, some people just have different eye sight then others of find some things to be aggravating when others may not I suppose. Thank you for the input.

If I had to choose between the two I would choose a thermapen. I recently got a refrac and am not crazy about it. I have trouble reading it because it is so small.

PJM said:
If I had to choose between the two I would choose a thermapen. I recently got a refrac and am not crazy about it. I have trouble reading it because it is so small.

That's kind of where I am at with it

Do you brew all grain? It makes things way easier if you do IMHO. So, I say, if you brew all grain, or are thinking of moving into all grain, keep it, if not, than its no biggie to ditch it.

Are you having problems getting it to focus? My eyes are shot, but I have no problem reading mine. I just need to adjust the eye piece. I love mine.

Like I said, knowing how to use it. :D Usually only takes a little reading to find out how to get it to focus and to use the offset when needed (check it with distilled water at temp every few times, or more).

IMO, refractometers kick hydrometer's ass all over the playground. :D I can pull <3ml for a sample and get an instant reading. No more pulling samples with thief's, turkey basters, etc. I even just use the amount left in my transfer hose to get a reading.

I think a thermapen, or at least a very fast and accurate thermometer is probably just as important, if not moreso, than a refractometer for doing all-grain batches. Don't get me wrong; I USE a refractometer, but I depend on the thermapen way more on brew days.

I love my refractometer and can't see going back to hydrometer. However, I would love a thermapen as well to replace all of my questionable thermometers. I would say go for the one you've always wanted.

I think a thermapen, or at least a very fast and accurate thermometer is probably just as important, if not moreso, than a refractometer for doing all-grain batches. Don't get me wrong; I USE a refractometer, but I depend on the thermapen way more on brew days.

Depends, completely, on the model thermapen you get. I've seen (and had) some that are crap. Just like with refractometers, some are great, others are made so cheap (but still sold for close to what a decent one costs) that they're just shy of worthless. Mine were not cheap and function great time and again. :fro:

i would keep them both since they are both very useful in brewing, the thermapen is useful for other kitchen jobs too.

If the thermapen is a good swap can anyone share a link to the most common thermapen for brewing? Thanks!

There's really only one model (but in about 15-20 colors). Unless you want the model with 0.01 resolution which is 2x as expensive and 4x overkill for what we do with it.

If you're all-grain brewing and the decision is either a Thermapen or a refractometer, I'd go for the Thermapen first. I love my Thermapen for it's fast, accurate readings. Like you said, you can use a hydrometer for accurate gravity readings until you can afford both.

Bobby_M said:
Personally I think it's a false dichotomy. You can keep the refractometer and get a reasonably priced digital thermometer like the CDN DTQ450.

How does this compare to the thermapen?

AnOldUR said:

Thank you that is helpful! Fyi the refractometer I got wasn't the one on northernbrewer but is pictured here... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FBL2G0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I have a question about using it though... Says it has automatic temp conversion/adjustement but only when its calibrated using a sample that is within 5 degrees of the wort being tested. How is this practical considering I thought the point was to be able to measure wort on the fly? Hmmmm....

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you that is helpful! Fyi the refractometer I got wasn't the one on northernbrewer but is pictured here... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FBL2G0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I have a question about using it though... Says it has automatic temp conversion/adjustement but only when its calibrated using a sample that is within 5 degrees of the wort being tested. How is this practical considering I thought the point was to be able to measure wort on the fly? Hmmmm....

You got sold a meh model... This is the one I use most of the time, or on brew day.

BTW, with the way a refractometer works, the sample should cool quickly once on the instrument. So the delta between ambient and it will be minimal. Still, it should be able to handle more than a 5 degree delta accurately. If more people are using that model, it could have something to do with the bad rep refractometers seem to get. :fro:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea I figured it wouldn't be much count. It was given as a Xmas gift so I shouldn't complain though. Its listed at 30 bucks but seems to be the exact same model as shown on northernbrewer.

So your saying I can apply the sample and just wait a few for it to cool?

Yea I figured it wouldn't be much count. It was given as a Xmas gift so I shouldn't complain though. Its listed at 30 bucks but seems to be the exact same model as shown on northernbrewer.

So your saying I can apply the sample and just wait a few for it to cool?

Most of the time I take a reading post chill, so it doesn't matter. The sample is so thin under the flap that it quickly reaches ambient temperature. I did take a sample after I mashed my barleywine to see where I was at. I simply pulled a bit of combined wort into the small pippet and let it rest while I did some other things. A few minutes later, I took the reading from it. I'm sure I didn't even need to wait that long.

Golddiggie said:
Most of the time I take a reading post chill, so it doesn't matter. The sample is so thin under the flap that it quickly reaches ambient temperature. I did take a sample after I mashed my barleywine to see where I was at. I simply pulled a bit of combined wort into the small pippet and let it rest while I did some other things. A few minutes later, I took the reading from it. I'm sure I didn't even need to wait that long.

Ok sounds good. I might watch some videos to better understand how to use it effectively while brewing. I am going to keep it since returning it wouldn't really yield the funds to get a thermapen or anything else I feel I need. I have a Whitehouse honey porter extract kit sitting here... Might be the perfect time to try it out.

Ok sounds good. I might watch some videos to better understand how to use it effectively while brewing. I am going to keep it since returning it wouldn't really yield the funds to get a thermapen or anything else I feel I need. I have a Whitehouse honey porter extract kit sitting here... Might be the perfect time to try it out.

What's the batch after that?? You know, your next one worth brewing? :eek: Sorry, but I don't see the draw to those recipes.

Golddiggie said:
What's the batch after that?? You know, your next one worth brewing? :eek: Sorry, but I don't see the draw to those recipes.

I had a gift card and the wife thought it sounded like something she wanted to try. It's a honey porter regardless of what label or publicity is on it. No apologies necessary... Your oppinion on what I choose to brew dpesnt cost me any sleep. Your advice, when relevant, is appreciated though. ;)

I had a gift card and the wife thought it sounded like something she wanted to try. It's a honey porter regardless of what label or publicity is on it. No apologies necessary... Your oppinion on what I choose to brew dpesnt cost me any sleep. Your advice, when relevant, is appreciated though. ;)

I did a honey porter for my second batch (ever)... Thinking about brewing one again, but I have other brews on deck ahead of it. My caramel ale keeps getting requested, so it's going to be brewed after the one coming up. I have people begging me to make more of it. :D

I'd consider looking at this thermocouple instead of the Thermapen. Made by same company and uses the same tech, but you can use different probes and replace them which is handy. It is what I use for brewing:

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/handheld/mtc.html#MoreInfoTab

Scroll down to the kits section and the second option is equivalent to a Thermapen. I use just a wire probe.

Golddiggie said:
I did a honey porter for my second batch (ever)... Thinking about brewing one again, but I have other brews on deck ahead of it. My caramel ale keeps getting requested, so it's going to be brewed after the one coming up. I have people begging me to make more of it. :D

This will be my first porter as I'm not a huge fan of the style but the wife thinks the whole Whitehouse thing is intriguing. Gimmick or not I'm making beer so whatever. Lol

djevans3 said:
I'd consider looking at this thermocouple instead of the Thermapen. Made by same company and uses the same tech, but you can use different probes and replace them which is handy. It is what I use for brewing:

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/handheld/mtc.html#MoreInfoTab

Scroll down to the kits section and the second option is equivalent to a Thermapen. I use just a wire probe.

Awesome ill check it out!

Golddiggie said:

By the way a caramel ale sounds kind of good... Recipe?

By the way a caramel ale sounds kind of good... Recipe?

I've already posted it (look under my recipes list for Caramel Cream Ale)... It's not really a 'cream ale', more of a mild ale, since I don't carbonate it that high, or use the yeast you would normally. I think I'll go closer to the first recipe with the next batch.

If things go right, I could be brewing it on a large scale, fairly often sometime in 2013 (I hope). :D

Golddiggie said:
I've already posted it (look under my recipes list for Caramel Cream Ale)... It's not really a 'cream ale', more of a mild ale, since I don't carbonate it that high, or use the yeast you would normally. I think I'll go closer to the first recipe with the next batch.

If things go right, I could be brewing it on a large scale, fairly often sometime in 2013 (I hope). :D

Large scale? Do explain! :)

I bought the Therma K instead of the thermapen. The K comes with a free probe equal to that of the thermapen. I also bought a submersible wire probe to monitor mash temp. The Therma K is definitely the way to go.

I also use it all the time when cooking or grilling.

Back