My Year in Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Donnelly, I have been deployed for about 5 months in a dry country and have been living vicariously through your thread. Thanks so much for chronicling your appreciation for beer throughout the year. Keep it up!

Dry country? That sounds terrible.

Glad you're enjoying it too - it's a hoot for me.

Thanks for your service - here's hoping you get home to the hooch soon.

Just wanted to say that I bet it is a chore keeping this thread up to date but I ninja watch it fairly regularly and enjoy it. I am probably not the only one. Keep it up!

P.S. I love the sepia like aging on all your photos.

Thanks - glad you like it. Ain't no stoppin' me now.

The sepia tones are courtesy of the Hipstomatic App for the iPhone. Nifty little program - it's almost like having a 110 or 126 camera again.

October 13, 2012 - Brew Day in the Third Bay (Charlie Brown Ale) - Glorious Brew Morning

image-3247174625.jpg

I thought that was a typo when you kegged it. So what is a pumpthin ale? Is that like a bud light or miller 64?

I don't like Pumpkin Beers. The over the top spices taste like perfume to me - absolutely hate them. I tried Southern Tier's Pumking a couple of weeks ago (An IMPERIAL Pumpkin Ale) and it was just about the worst beer I've ever forced down my gullet.

So I made my own version of a Pumpkin Ale and thinned out the pumpkin and spice flavors. Ended up with a nice ale with that great pumpkin color but just a hint of pumpkin flavor and a really light spice foot-print - A Pump'thin' Ale. I like it a lot.

That to me is one of the great things about homebrewing. You can emphasize what you like and de-emphasize what you don't. You can make exactly the beer you want to drink - amazing concept huh?

mjdonnelly68 said:
That to me is one of the great things about homebrewing. You can emphasize what you like and de-emphasize what you don't. You can make exactly the beer you want to drink - amazing concept huh?

Truer words have never been spoken.

October 26, 2012 - The Public House, The Venetian, Las Vegas - Hop Flight, Noble Breakaway Pale Ale, Firestone Walker Double Barrel, Ballast Point Sculpin, Deschuttes Black Butte Porter. Moose Drool, Big Sky Brewing. Stone IPA on Cask dry hopped with Cascade.

image-1613394541.jpg

image-2882271845.jpg

image-35207885.jpg

Don't forget Nine Fine Irishmen at New York, New York. The beer and cheese dip is wonderful.

And if they are serving the Guinness Chocolate Bomb for Dessert, don't miss it.

Didn't make it that far up the strip this visit but I love the Nine Fine (good trad session every night).

Have you been to Firefly Tapas Bar? Just off the strip about 5 minute cab ride from Mirage, with an amazing selection of small plate foods and a decent craft beer menu. It's priced well enough to more than make up for the small cab fare to get out to it. If not, its worth checking out next time you're in Sin City.

Have you been to Firefly Tapas Bar? Just off the strip about 5 minute cab ride from Mirage, with an amazing selection of small plate foods and a decent craft beer menu. It's priced well enough to more than make up for the small cab fare to get out to it. If not, its worth checking out next time you're in Sin City.

Love Tapas and I don't mind getting off the strip once in a while. I'll definitely check it out on my next trip.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Can't believe you didn't hit Aces & Ales while you were in Vegas. Try it on a Thursday night when a band is playing. They didn't start until 9PM and I didn't leave until after 2AM.

Uh oh. Sorry to hear that. Experienced far too many of those situations myself. :(

I'm not going to go back and count, but there seems to a conscious/subconscious effort to include a fireplace in the pics.

Latest posts

Back