Hop identification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowabrew

Reaction score
Ordered jumbo rhizomes from willamette valley hops. they sent me an extra with the description "cascade?fuggles?" any way to figure this out other than lab analysis?

Ordered jumbo rhizomes from willamette valley hops. they sent me an extra with the description "cascade?fuggles?" any way to figure this out other than lab analysis?

If it grows like ****, it's a fuggle. If it grows like an animal, Cascade. :D

Also, fuggle is one of a few that will be discernible from cascade, IME, especially if you have known fuggle or cascades in your hopyard already. Fuggle are not vigorous growers/producers and their cones will be smaller and discernibly less pungent (more musty/herbal) than cascades.

Well I'm guessing cascade if going by growing tendency. Thing has taken off like a rocket!

Although the other cascade rhizome in partial shade is coming along less vigorously. Shade or non porting soil mix contributing to this?

Well I'm guessing cascade if going by growing tendency. Thing has taken off like a rocket!

Although the other cascade rhizome in partial shade is coming along less vigorously. Shade or non porting soil mix contributing to this?

My fuggles started the strongest of the 6 types.

If it grows like ****, it's a fuggle. If it grows like an animal, Cascade. :D

Also, fuggle is one of a few that will be discernible from cascade, IME, especially if you have known fuggle or cascades in your hopyard already. Fuggle are not vigorous growers/producers and their cones will be smaller and discernibly less pungent (more musty/herbal) than cascades.

Haha, I would agree with that. My first year Cascades (crowns) are about 3' tall and my fuggle is just throwing new shoots off. :mug:

Back