fast fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPR-GRN

Reaction score
So I had made up an all grain dirty blonde ale recipe, and then generated a partial
Mash version so I could teach my brother to brew.
I decided to give the partial mash batch a try and do a double while I'm at it in hopes of having it all bottled for his bachelor party. Here's the deal. I brewed a 5gal and a 6gal batch simultaneously on the 9th 6gal was 1.062 5gal was 1.058 prior to pitching.
my fermentation temps were a touch warm (74 by the thermostat on primary) but I've done ales at higher temps, here's the crazy thing, I went to transfer the beer to secondary tonight and the 6gal batch was at 1.010 and the 5gal batch was at 1.012! Not only are they ready to be bottled, but they finished lower than the all grain version it originated from which stopped at 1.015.
Does any one else find the quick fermentation odd or since it was primarily LME should I expect this kind of quickness from it? I don't have 105bottles right now so it will sit in secondary until I drink other beer enough to bottle it all; although I'm thinking About bottling half of it as I have 48-60 bottles hanging about right now.

Info for 5 gal

63%LME
22%honey (clover)
5%Munich
5%Cara-pils
5%honey malt
Wyeast Amer. Ale II 1272

6gal

55%LME
18%honey
12%amer. 2 row
5%Munich
5%Cara-pils
5%homey malt
Wyeast Amer. Ale II 1272

Thanks!

It's not uncommon for fermentations to be done in 4 to 7 days. Brewer's typically leave the beer in the fermenter beyond that time to allow it to condition. Larger beers need longer conditioning times.

1272 ferments pretty fast in my experience. The gumball head clone I'm dry hopping right now went from 1.047 to 1.010 in 4 days and I was fermenting at 66 degrees.

Also once primary fermentation begins (after lag) the OG drops quickly at the beginning slowing down the drop as the time from pitch increases - think of a childs slide. By day 4 you will be within 5 points of attenuation (or at full ferment). Then a few more days for clean up. Bottling at 10 days is doable depending on yeast, OG, temps, etc.

Thanks for the replys; I think I'm bottling tonight when I get home from work - At least half of it anyways, don't think I have enough bottle to do it all.

Just to update - checked the gravity again, holding steady so I went ahead and bottled the five gallon batch - even flat it tasted great! Can't wait until it carbonates. The 6gallon batch will get bottled once I have enough bottles... I'm currently at 20 and I need 60; time to get begging at bars or start binge drinking.

Back