Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just brewed a 5g batch of this and used 2 oz of amarillo on this batch. I think I may have added too many hops for the beer style, as I forgot to half the recipe when it came to hops...

My propane ran out after about an hour of boiling, but I did get a 90 min mash in.

OG was 1.042

I think my efficiency was up to par.

I also added a half lb of carapils to this recipe.

I also am using wlp029 I heard this stuff gives a great finish if kept low fermenting

I will let yall know how it turns out, the airlock is bubbling a little now and it smells gooooood. I think this will turn out alright, its my first all grain and from the reviews it seems like you can't go wrong with this recipe!

Although the attentuation is a problem I should have forseen, I did not add yeast nutrient, so well see if she goes down or not.

Brewed yesterday with minute rice. Used Wlp862 Cry havoc ale/lager yeast. Will try ale fermentation temps this time around. Let's see how this turns out.

I just brewed a 5g batch of this and used 2 oz of amarillo on this batch. I think I may have added too many hops for the beer style, as I forgot to half the recipe when it came to hops...

My propane ran out after about an hour of boiling, but I did get a 90 min mash in.

OG was 1.042

I also am using wlp029 I heard this stuff gives a great finish if kept low fermenting

I will let yall know how it turns out, the airlock is bubbling a little now and it smells gooooood. I think this will turn out alright, its my first all grain and from the reviews it seems like you can't go wrong with this recipe!

Although the attentuation is a problem I should have forseen, I did not add yeast nutrient, so well see if she goes down or not.

I wouldnt worry about the problem you had. I had so many problems with brewing this beer and it still turned out wonderful.. I had 3 stuck mashes. My plan was to recirc with a RIMS tube and after the 3rd time I said the heck with it and just did a normal infusion. I had other minor issues too. Beer wants to be beer, it will turn out fine. As long as you have good sanitation methods.

I just got my ingredients to brew this recipe from AHS. I've been wanting to try this one -- can't wait!

Have nothing to do this afternoon and just filled my propane tanks, so am going to give this recipe a try. I also have a pack of Wyeast 1338 - European Ale - yeast hanging around with nothing to do, so I am thinking about using it in the recipe. Only other difference is I am using half Belgian Pilsner and half 2-row.

Just brewed up a 3gallon BIAB batch, and slightly upped the rice per some comments. Can't wait to see how it turns out - this is the first batch that both myself and SWMBO are looking forward to! :mug:

Thanks BierMuncher

I had a great batch of this yesterday at a local homebrew fest (beerstock). It was a big hit with a BMC buddy that was with us.

Thanks DRUMMERGUYSTEVE! That was my version, using S-33, and Williamette and Cascade hops. It took 2nd place at Beerstock 5060. :mug:

Sultry Wench Making Beer Obediently. Or something like that....

HAHHAHA good one, yeah thats what swmbo should mean:mug:

This stuff tastes great after a week in primary, I put too many amarillo hops in it though, still too sweet to tell just how good it is, but its gonna be good.

I really want to try this with even MORE rice as some others have said, maybe as much as half the recipe?

I live in hawaii so barley is expensive/not fresh. But the rice flows cheap, plentiful and fresh, and so I made this recipe beginning my journey of finding a good/even moderate quality rice beer.

Any suggestions for additions as far as rice dominated beers go? I was thinking some 6 row to up the proteins and ofc carapils for more body/head retention that rice will severly lack. I am sure you can make a good rice beer but it will need just the right ingredients, and im sure I wont be able to exceed 50% rice... but maybe some1 else already has done this with good results?

I didn't follow this exact recipe but its close. I used some of jamils recipe and some of this one. I used liberty hops should have around 16 IBU's used 1.2 ounces for bittering then .34 ounces at 1 min. My grain bill was 3 crops maybe 4. I used 3.75 lbs of pilsner mal and 3.75 lbs of 2-row. I used 1.69 lbs of rice and 1 lb of corn. Also added .75lbs of table sugar to dry it up a bit. I'm going to use safale 05 for yeast.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

I just brewed this recipe, it's chilling now waiting to go into the fermenter.
After reading many pages of this thread it looks like very few brew the exact recipe so I changed it up a bit too, mostly because it was what I had on hand. I'm new to AG but I think I got good efficiency
2 row. - 6lb
instant rice. -28oz(1 box)
instant grits. -1.5lb(1 carton)
torrified wheat -4oz

czech saaz 3% -1oz
willamette 4.7% -.5oz

I did a 60 min mash at 152 but added 2 tsp of amalaze enzyme
after boil ended up with 5.25 gal at 1.045
I'm going to pitch a packet of notty because it's what I have on hand
it smells good! I'll let you know how it turns out!

What I don't understand, after brewing 4 batches of this wonderful stuff, following Biermuncher's recipe to the letter, is why everyone insists on not following the recipe.
Just kidding...I won't leave well enough alone, either...

What I don't understand, after brewing 4 batches of this wonderful stuff, following Biermuncher's recipe to the letter, is why everyone insists on not following the recipe.
Just kidding...I won't leave well enough alone, either...

haha. I normally always follow the op recipe first before I start to tweak if so compelled to. The only reason I did not in this case was because I was making it for my sis' wedding reception and was a little concerned about too much corny-ness that several folks were posting so I backed off a bit on the corn and upped the rice to compensate. Its only a few days in the kegs now but I can't even pick up any corn yet. Will post back after it conditions a while before giving any judgement.

Just now getting back in to home brewing after a 15 year layoff, and found this recipe. Since I am not set up yet to attempt all grain brewing, I thought I might try to do an extract version of this. If I used 4 pounds of light liquid malt extract and 2 pounds of rice syrup solids for a 5 gallon batch do you think it would turn out anywhere near this all grain version?

Thanks.

Bob

Can someone help me here?

This beer and another one I have has some issues. 4-5 days ago i was drinking both beers and they tasted amazing! But the very next day and up until this point, a lot of the flavor and aroma is gone.

-They are not over carbed
-They are in kegs at 12 PSI
-I brewed both on July 4th
-Primary to secondary (with gelatin) to keg

Can anyone tell me whats going on? Is this oxidation?

It seems like this cream ale got better with age and then after a certain point it lost it's flavor. Something has to be wrong because it can't just naturally lose flavor that quick.

Just now getting back in to home brewing after a 15 year layoff, and found this recipe. Since I am not set up yet to attempt all grain brewing, I thought I might try to do an extract version of this. If I used 4 pounds of light liquid malt extract and 2 pounds of rice syrup solids for a 5 gallon batch do you think it would turn out anywhere near this all grain version?

Thanks.

Bob

i would consider maybe steeping 1# flaked maze for the overall effect of being a cream ale:mug:
Edit: keep with the same hop schedule and it should turn out good.. you could go a quarter oz more and not be too unbalanced wich you might want to do being an extract batch :)

OG was 1.042

She went down from 1.042 to 1.004, I could have let her sit a lil longer but I couldn't wait, she was already in sec. for 2 weeks. (using kolsch yeast wlp029)

And I am confused as to how to calculate attenuation...

[(OG-FG)/(OG-1)] x 100

So thats [(1.042-1.004)/(1.042-1)] x 100 =

.038/.042 X 100 = 90.4

So thats 90% attenuation???!?!? that seems VERY high??? am I doing it wrong??

white labs says this attenuates from 72-78 %
Any help greatly appreciated!

Back to non-math beer loving reality the beer looks like it turned out great, I tasted it and I think its gonna be good when its carbed. I got the "corny" taste people are talking about, but I like it, then again I like pabst too.

The amarillo paired very well with this recipe.

It is in the fridge right now with gelatin finings to make it nice n clear :mug:

ill be bottling tonight after 4 days in the fridge, it looks pretty clear to me.

Ok, here's my final thought on this experience: I was the guy that was brewing this for my sister's wedding and cut back the corn and raised the rice because I was scared of too much corny-ness that some folks were reporting. Well, the wedding was last weekend and the beer was a hit. Both kegs kicked and lots of praise from all the BMC drinkers in the house. My thoughts...it was good, very clean, but lacking a bit for MY craft beer taste. There was no taste of corn, at all really. If I were to have a situation requiring me to do this again, I would follow BM's recipe. I think a bit more corn taste would have been nice, for me at least. And I don't think it would've put off the BMC'ers either. Anyways, overall very good experience and recipe. Sis was happy, guests were happy, and I got to take the credit :) If you're in the same situation as me and worried about over-corning don't fear the corn!

I am going to be adding more rice to this for my next batch, infact I am thinking about HALFING the grain/corn and filling the rest with rice, is this too much rice?

What can I do to bring back some of that body ill lose with all the rice? High protein grains like 6 row?

What else can I do to make this a more all around good beer?

you guys dont seem to get it. I live in hawaii and the grain here costs $2 a lb and it isnt even fresh. I need to find a good rice beer, thats not sake, sake isnt even beer btw so stop saying make sake!!!

This beer...the original recipe by BierMuncher...is probably the best homebrew I've
ever had anywhere and I'm 63 years old. I'm on my third batch now!

I made this on a wednesday then into a keg by tuesday so six days then to keg wasnt clear but taste great had to power make it for my father in laws 60th birthday it was a hit with everyone I changed the recipe a little bit but not much
want to say thanks to BierMuncher

little help here...i was going to look thru this post to see what people tasted before they carb/bottled it but then i reliazed it was 103 pages...

mine is very sweet. is that normal. will botteling/kegging ease up on this..

little help here...i was going to look thru this post to see what people tasted before they carb/bottled it but then i reliazed it was 103 pages...

mine is very sweet. is that normal. will botteling/kegging ease up on this..

I noticed mine was rather sweet as well before I bottled, after I primed it and tasted it the sweetness seemed to lose its prominence, but was still there, in a good way. As a matter of fact i kept letting this go for about 2 1/2 weeks in secondary to get the sweetness down because I was afraid it wasnt done

Ok so mine ended up at 1.004 FG. carbed it up nice n good (2.5 volumes) which was a good choice imo for this style, maybe 2.0 would have been a better idea for most though.

Amarillo hops wasn't a good choice for this, I think it would have been better with the original cascades/other the original recipe called for.

Still a good beer, that first sip makes you think "wow that was good"

I let the temperatures get a little out of my parameters, and this may have given it an off taste as well, I am sure this could quite possibly be one of the best beers I have ever made, props to biermuncher on this one! (although I don't approve of your message telling me to keep to the recipe thats how we as brewers tend to "de-evolve")

WLP 029 gave it a great crisp refreshing finish on the palate, I suggest more people use 029 for this recipe, it takes a little longer but is so worth it.

Running this again for my next batch, I was wondering if maybe the master beermuncher could give me some advice on this, regarding hops, which should I use?

hallertau
EKG
saaz
fuggles

Or will I have to go to my homebrewjew shop and pay 4$/oz for more hops!???

(my condolences to jewish people, I just think its hilarious given the prices he charges)

finished very dry> hydro is at 1005

Same here, I went down to 1004.

I got something like 90% attenuation on my wlp029!!! this sounds really strange! Its supposed to go about 75%!!! what happened here? Anybody? I have a more detailed post regarding this that hasnt been answered yet one page back.

Mine turned out great except for the skunkiness from not covering the Better Bottle and sunlight hitting it for 2 weeks.

Going to try this this weekend but dont have any Crystal Hops. All i have left is the Willamette. Looking for an opinion on adding 1/4 oz of coriander to last 15 min of boil to get citrus, fruity tang that crystal might impart. Any thoughts?

Going to try this this weekend but dont have any Crystal Hops. All i have left is the Willamette. Looking for an opinion on adding 1/4 oz of coriander to last 15 min of boil to get citrus, fruity tang that crystal might impart. Any thoughts?

Willamette will make a fine substitution. Coriander is nice in certain recipes (I have a few), but the spirit of this beer doesn't warrant extraneous flavors.

Just got done bottle carbonating and am getting ready to serve it this weekend in my fall beer sampling line up.

Tastes crisp and cleared up extremely well.

I used Liberty hops in mine and it came out great!

image-407340025.jpg

Hope to have some leftover for myself. May have to stash some away, just in case.

Thanks BM!!!!

Made 5 gallons of this tonight. Had a 2 hour mash almost (sick kid duties called) but hit OG spot on. Used .75 oz victory hops to finish. Tasted pretty ok going into the fermentor.

Thanks for the recipe!

~M~

I'm not a beer snob by any means, but trying to figure out if this beer is for me. I'm not into 'bland' and don't really care for BMC. That said, I enjoyed the SA summer offering and have enjoyed a Boston Lager on occasion as well. Is this going to be in the same category as those beers or is it more 'flavorless' by design? As a point of reference, I did the Pre-prohibition lager from BCS and found it pretty bland, with an off taste I attributed to the cluster hops that I used, which I didn't care for at all.

I'm not a beer snob by any means, but trying to figure out if this beer is for me. I'm not into 'bland' and don't really care for BMC. That said, I enjoyed the SA summer offering and have enjoyed a Boston Lager on occasion as well. Is this going to be in the same category as those beers or is it more 'flavorless' by design? As a point of reference, I did the Pre-prohibition lager from BCS and found it pretty bland, with an off taste I attributed to the cluster hops that I used, which I didn't care for at all.

In the batch I made, it had a lighter malt flavor like what you would find in a BMC product with a slightly more noticeable hop profile, and a slight sake-like twist form the rice. I wouldn't call it bland, but it is definitely a beer that is aimed towards pleasing a large number of people.

I say that you should just go for it. It takes like $8 worth of ingredients (if you re-use yeast), and if you don't like it, then give it away to your friends and they will think you are the best brewer in the world.

Back