amount of sugar to bottle carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaronIV

Reaction score
I have a 1 gallon batch of apfelwein in the making right now and I would like to split it up among the bottles to try each still/dry, still/sweet, and carb/dry. I plan on bottling in 16 oz bottles. My question is how much sugar would i use per bottle to carb it?

I ran through the math using 3/4 c per 5 gallons, and i came up with about .9 tsp per bottle to use. does this sound about right?

I really don't want to overcarb these and have bottle bombs, but like i said i only want to carb a few bottles to see if i like it.

48 teaspoons per cup * 3/4 = 36 teaspoons
640 oz in 5 gallons / 16 = 40 bottles

36/40 = 0.9 tsp

Your math looks good to me. If you have a digital scale I'd use it instead but if not, that seems fine.

if i had a scale i would be using one, which is why i had to do all that math... and i plan on eyeballing 3/4 ish of a teaspon. This is just to test a couple different ways of bottling the stuff so i know what i like. After this batch, if i decide i like it carbed i'll do the whole batch, which should be tremendously easier

I have a 1 gallon batch of apfelwein in the making right now and I would like to split it up among the bottles to try each still/dry, still/sweet, and carb/dry. I plan on bottling in 16 oz bottles. My question is how much sugar would i use per bottle to carb it?

I ran through the math using 3/4 c per 5 gallons, and i came up with about .9 tsp per bottle to use. does this sound about right?

I really don't want to overcarb these and have bottle bombs, but like i said i only want to carb a few bottles to see if i like it.

These will make it really easy to carb a few bottles safely & effectively: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=5003
Regards, GF.

Dude go to a bed bath and beyond. You can get a digital scale for $30. I got the biggest loser model because it was on sale and all it had on it was a sticker which was easily removed. I forget the manufacturer. Anyhow go get one it won't break the bank.

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

I also use that handy link for priming calcs. In case you didn't have the link.

Dude go to a bed bath and beyond. You can get a digital scale for $30. I got the biggest loser model because it was on sale and all it had on it was a sticker which was easily removed. I forget the manufacturer. Anyhow go get one it won't break the bank.

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

I also use that handy link for priming calcs. In case you didn't have the link.

the thing im trying to say, is i just want to test out to see if i like it carbed, If i do i will end up making a 5 gallon batch next and just go with the normal 3/4 c sugar to prime. No scale needed

Couldn't you just bottle 2/3's of your batch, then add in 1/4 cup of priming sugar to the bottling bucket and then continue to bottle? That way its evenly distributed and its a lot easier to measure out 1/4 cup once than .9 teasoons several times.

that would be all fine and dandy if i was doing a 5 gallon batch. I am only doing a single gallon. And i have no problem measuring out the .9 tsp a couple times because only 2-3 bottles are going to be carbed

I'm not knocking it because I haven't used them myself, but a few guys were complaining that they gave an off flavor and some mentioned that the bottles had noticable changes in carbonation levels.

Actually, I've never used them either; I always prime in the bottling bucket. I just thought the carb tabs would make things easier for him. Good to know about off flavours though, I hadn't heard that. Regards, GF.

Back