I got a spare Safale S04. Any Ideas??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmystank

Reaction score
So I have this spare Safale S04 packet sitting in my fridge. I want to use it with something but Im unsure of a recipe or what style I should even use it in. Anyone have a good extract recipe to pop it in?

It can be overpoweringly fruity if fermented over 70-71. I've used it twice, once in a brown ale, once in a stout. The stout is more drinkable and balanced, the brown ale is good, but the late EKG addition pushed the fruitiness pretty high for most peoples tastes.

If you ferment cooler, the lighter styles (ESB, pales) would work ok, but needs a fair bit of bittering/malt to balance otherwise.

It can be overpoweringly fruity if fermented over 70-71. I've used it twice, once in a brown ale, once in a stout. The stout is more drinkable and balanced, the brown ale is good, but the late EKG addition pushed the fruitiness pretty high for most peoples tastes.

If you ferment cooler, the lighter styles (ESB, pales) would work ok, but needs a fair bit of bittering/malt to balance otherwise.

Im thinking an Oatmeal Stout. Would that work out? I assume Id want to fermetn at lower temps?

I've not really found that but I also ferment most ales below 68 actual anyway. Was that 70-71 ambient or wort temp?

Back