Leap Year Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKahuna

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This recipe was intended to be scaled up and down as needed to fit your needs and capability. This is the 1 gallon Recipe. Make what you will. The origional was brewed on 2-29-2008 and once bottled, will be saved for celebration of coming Leap Year's.

3# of the Best Local Honey you can get.
1 tsp Yeast Nutrient.
HOT Water to make 1 gallon
Pasteur Champagne Yeast.
You will need to have 2 vanilla beans ready when you rack to secondary.

Put this mead together using no more heat than you get from the Hot Water Tap. You will need to make sure to oxygenate your must by shaking or by oxygen bubbler.

When Fermentation is complete, you rack onto 2 vanilla beans. When mead drops clear, and beans are lighter brown, you can rack again until very clear and bulk age or bottle.

Am I crazy or were there not dozens of posts on this thread?

just wondering, but about how long did it take for fermentation to "complete"?

Welcome to HBT!

It varied a lot between all of us doing it. Mine took about 2.5 to 3 months but I didn't bottle it until it was 14 months old. When I bottled, it was very smooth and vanilla-y. By far the best mead I've made so far but we have until 2012 leap day before we "officially" drink it. :D

oh man, that long?! Well thanks for the quick reply, I made it at home while i'm on break from college so i guess i can leave it alone for a while.

Haha I only have about 5 bottles left, I think. I only did a 1 gallon batch. I plan on saving them until 2012, sampling at each 1 year mark. I bottled 2 in brown bottles for BJCP competitions in the future, hopefully they will make it to competition some day!

i'm making a 2.5 gallon batch of this, and it seems that 2 vanilla beans per gallon seemed a little too much. i'm thinking of putting just one bean in for this one. any comments?

I just came across this old thread and decided to do an inventory of the Leap Year Vanilla Mead from 2008. I still have 4 (wine) bottles left.

In the carton right next to it I have about a dozen bottles of Papazian's Barkshack Ginger Mead from 2007.

I know I even have older stuff. I may even have 1 bottle of mead from 1994. ; ' )

Latest posts

Back