American Pale Ale Kona, Fire Rock Pale Ale (AG Clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My lhbs did not have centennial, chinook or columbus. Could i use galena or nugget instead?

Brod-2 row came out OK-good but not AS GOOD-methinks more than the grain was the fact I used 1oz Centennial (.5 at 60, .5 at 30) vs. the only half oz. for bittering in Biermuncher's recipe. Gives it a bit of sourness-winds up a bit metallic on the aftertaste.

I'm not 100% gassed up but pretty damn close and I don't see it evolving much from here.

That being said-I got 4 kegs on tap and I will GUARANTEE this one will blow out 1st. It's still doggone tasty!!!

You in Northport FL? Right down the highway!

I will brew up again prob Monday and go back to original recipe. I will ALWAYS keep this one on tap! It's a homerun man.

Best,
G

And I should not have tweaked a fine recipe anyway. I only went to 2-row because after I had filled most of my grain list I found out they were out of Marris Otter. WTF kind of joint is that?

Brod-2 row came out OK-good but not AS GOOD-methinks more than the grain was the fact I used 1oz Centennial (.5 at 60, .5 at 30) vs. the only half oz. for bittering in Biermuncher's recipe. Gives it a bit of sourness-winds up a bit metallic on the aftertaste.

You in Northport FL? Right down the highway!
Northport, NY! So, WAY down the highway! :cross:

And I should not have tweaked a fine recipe anyway. I only went to 2-row because after I had filled most of my grain list I found out they were out of Marris Otter. WTF kind of joint is that?

I was curious since my LHBS was voted best LHBS on Long Island and thus were doing a 2 for 1 on Sacks of grain. I had herd it was going to be two-row but I was able to get a sac of Marris Otter as well!

Thanks for the info Avocet and Thanks again to BM for a killer recipe. I've got 10 gallons carbing in the keezer right now (along with another 10 gallons of centennial blonde I'm going to keg tonight!):rockin:

You are going to like it!!! And to be honest my 1st draws off keg had some amount of trub, trash, etc. Got way better after about 3-4 pints-smoothed out and lost a lot of bitterness.

I made 10 gallons of this recipe. I can't get liquid yeasts where I live, so I used S-04 on 5 gallons and pitched the other 5 on a Muntons Premium Gold yeast cake from a previous Irish red beer I made. Both batches where very good, but the Muntons version was the crowd favorite at a party I had. Muntons version seemed a little dryer and the S-04 tasted fruitier with more hop presence.

I've never tried the real Kona version, so I can't say which was closer. Either way, thanks for the great recipe BierMuncher!

It is already on my grain bill for my next HBS visit. Damn you BierMuncher :D, now I am wishing I didn't have my first lager planned this weekend, so I could fill my fermenter next weekend with Fire Rock. Oh well, I don't know why some recipes just consume me and others I walk away from eventually before trying. This one is a definite though for the same reason as before mentioned. I loved my trip to Hawaii. I've been following this since you posted and drooling with the pics. :) Now I have this and EdWort's haus to brew. Great thing is I will be drinking them before these silly lagers I have planned are ready. Again, thanks for the recipe.
Sounds like time to buy another fermenter.
I'll be brewing this one next weekend too!.

Brewed this today, used galena instead of cent. Came in at 1.050 so I guess we wait and see

Threw in the oz of centennial dry hops. Hydro sample was awesome, first time using honey malt an there is a distinct sweetness from it. I will let it sit probably 5 mor days then bottle.

Outstanding recipe. Thank you sir! I did a test batch and loved it. Ill now be brewing it for my little brother's wedding in Kaui.

I have brewed this twice and this is a great recipe. The second time I substituted US-05 yeast with same great results, definitely a go to brew. Thanks.

I have brewed this twice and this is a great recipe. The second time I substituted US-05 yeast with same great results, definitely a go to brew. Thanks.
Good to know. Just been waiting to get some Kolsch yeast. Maybe now I'll use Kolsch in 5 gallons and S-05 in the other half.
Thanks!

Finally got to try this after sitting about 2 months in the keg. I garnished with fresh fried hops and it is delicious

Bier-tried this recipe w plain ol' 2 row (cuz place was slap out of Maris) and I found it to be nowhere near as good. Have you heard any similar tales or was I having an off (too honked to time hops additions/etc.) day?

Also-2 weeks at 68 degrees-no rest-cold crash and keg huh? I think I will still go to secondary-but that straight to keg seems to be working for a buddy-maybe I will grow a pair and try it.

Also-did NOT dry hop but will try this time-probably back off to half your recipe. Planning 10-12 days primary/10-or when I get around to it secondary/3 cold crash/4-5 on gas. That was basic schedule on what we all seem to remember as best batch to date. We all got into this stuff hot and heavy so memory may not be perfect.....lol!

I saw this posted a while back but didnt see an answer. For a 5.5 gallon batch does everything get cut in half, including the hops?

This will only be my 3rd batch and I haven't had to scale any recipes yet!

Hi BM,
After coming across and loving Kona Fire Rock Pale Ale while visiting CA and then finding your recipe, I've brewed a slight variation three times since July 2012.

The modifications were Rahr Pale Ale Malt rather than MO, using good German Munich II (Best or Weyermann) and adding a touch of CaraRed Malt to go along with the Honey malt to darken the beer up a bit. I also used the Kolsch II yeast that was out at the time from Wyeast rather than the regular Kolsch and fermented at 62F. I must say the honey malt is what gives this a sweeter taste.

I was pretty surprised when my APA entry took 1st Place in the 2012 Schooner comp (Racine Wisconsin) out of 26 APAs. It has since become my house Pale Ale.

Now I just got in a fresh load of hops and plan on making a few APA batches to test out some other hop combos using the same base AG malt/yeast recipe and early hop additions but try some other late combos like Amarillo and Mosaic or Citra.

Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Hi BierMuncher,

New to AG, excited to try this recipe. My LHBS does not have Kolsch, but has the Wyeast 1010 as a sub. Do you think this would be ok?

Thanks!

Not to hijack, I am sure BM has mire to say, but if memory serves I used us-05 on this with great results...

ForumRunner_20140119_071958.jpg

ForumRunner_20140119_071958.jpg
Mine is the darker one, but taste was spot on, slightly sweeter if I recall.

Hi BierMuncher,

New to AG, excited to try this recipe. My LHBS does not have Kolsch, but has the Wyeast 1010 as a sub. Do you think this would be ok?

Thanks!

No. That is an american wheat beer yeast, out of character for this. I would look for wyeast 2565 if you want a kolsch style pale ale.

I have used US05 (dry) a few times for this recipe and I recommend it. It is perfect for pale ales.

I have a honey kolsch fermenting now (10 gallons) so I think I will make this and use the slurry from that. Is there anything special I need to do with the slurry or do I just put the wort on top of it and oxygenate as usual? Should I wash the slurry or will it be ok just pitching?

Generally you want to scoop a cup or two of the slurry and wash/save/throw out the rest depending on what you do usually. Leaving the yeast cake in there would be over pitching. You want the yeast to go through their logarithmic growth phase as usual, too many cells would reduce the length of this phase which could change the profile of the beer.

Long story short it's better form to scoop some slurry out and add to a fresh fermenter. A pitching rate calculator can let you get an idea of how much slurry for your batch.

But this all doesn't mean people don't make some good beer from racking right onto a yeast cake. ;)

Sounds good. I use mrmalty when making starters but I just have never used a slurry before. Thanks for the advice. I will be brewing this up on the weekend so I will post results when it is finished.

Brewed this today per the original recipe. Cant wait to drink the first glass in a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Finally racked straight to the keg last night. I plan to dry hop in the keg for a few days then force carb it.

One more long week of waiting...

Tried the first one tonight. Doesnt seem to have that hop "whoosh" like planned.

Should I do another dry hop session or leave as is? It tastes fine now, just not like a Fire Rock.

I chose this recipe as my first all grain brew and it exceeded my expectations. No horrible mistakes were made and the brew process went smoothly. The hop flavor and aroma were very present, and the bottles went down very easily. Thanks for the recipe Biermuncher! I highly suspect this will make it into my pipeline again.

Latest posts

Back