favorite dish to cook?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeRoux's Broux

Reaction score
most of us homebrewers also dig sling'n grub in the kitchen, right?

so what's your favorite recipe/thing to cook, and please share the recipe w/ the rest of us!!!!:D

I love grilling pork and beef loins. In either case, I chop up thyme, sage and rosemary which I mix up with stoneground mustard and olive oil and then rub on the loin. Slap it on the grill (charcoal, naturally,sometimes with smoking chips) till it's done!

I also make a lot of pasta, and perhaps 1/3 of the time do homemade pasta with the ol' pasta machine.

My speciality is ribs.

I slow cook them on the grill for about 3 hours--no sauce.
All I do is make a dry rub with cumin, dry mustard, dried lemon peel, chili powder, garlic salt, cilantro, thyme, and cracked pepper. Rub it all over them and 3 hours later--they pretty much fall off the bone.

I'm also getting pretty good at an Irish Stew.

:D

I love ribs, though I've never gotten very good at the dry rub variety. I usually cook mine in the oven for a couple of hours and then finish them up on the grill with espresso bbq sauce. I'm only about 50/50 getting them fallin' off the bone tender :(

BeeGee said:
So are you gonna go next, or what??

uh, guess i need to hu? :D

i have 3 regulars.
1. homemade pizzaw/ home dough that proofs 24 hrs, and homemade marinara, fresh mozz and basil
2. green chili chicken nachos - shredded jalapeno-honey chicken, with a home made verdi sauce that you make a small roux for, fresh tomatillas, jalapeno's, cilantro, garlic, onions, chicken stock, and a butt-load of jack cheese and tortilla chips.
3. crawfish or shrimp etouffe, with garlic bread and big ol' green salad w/ olive oil, garlic and balsamic dressing :cross:

but, anything italian i love too cook. last night i did homemade sauce, penne, ciabatta bread, olive salad, and wine/garlic steamed mussels. kicked ass!!!!

My specialties include: chili, ribs, and tri-tip for evening fare.

The tri-tip is usually cooked with a homemade spice rub that is heavy on black and green pepper corns, garlic, dried onion, and sometimes a pinch of cumin. It's cooked on the grill to a medium/medium-rare state, and then thinly slices against the grain of the meat.

The ribs are nothing special... i just use any-old BBQ sauce that sounds good, but I cook them by using a little of the same rub I use for the tri-tip, and a light coating of sauce. This is wrapped in plastic wrap to seal it, then wrapped in foil to protect the plastic wrap, and slow cooked for as long as I can stand it. The meat usually falls off the bone.

I refuse to give out my chili recipe. :)

But the thing most often requested of me is in the breakfast department; biscuits and sausage gravy. The biscuits are made from scratch with flour, butter-flavored shortening, and buttermilk, and the gravy is made from scratch using a basic rue and a 50% water/50% whole milk mixture. Nothing special is added to the gravy.. just salt, coarsely crushed black and red pepper corns, 1 lb of browned country sausage, and (occasionally) a pinch or two of corn starch if I need to thicken it more.

Sorry for not being more specific on the biscut recipe. I don't actually have a recipe... i just kind of mix things together until it 'looks right'.

edit: most of the magic in the biscuits is in preparation. Roll that dough out and fold it over. Do this over and over and over so that you have lots of thin layers in the thing. They get REALLY flakey this way. The othe thing is to smear the top with melted butter for the last 1 or 2 minutes of baking... that makes the tops golden brown.

-walker

the main thing for ribs is low and slow. i dry rub mine and put them in a oven bag over-night in the fridge. take em the next day when i start the fire goin'. once my smoker gets to 220-240, i slap em on and let 'em ride for 7-10 hours. i do a beer mop about once an hour, and ooohh-wee! they get those chewy burnt ends on 'em that are spicy and smokey.....damn i'm hungry now! did a brisket a few weekends ago that was good too. i do all dry rubs for my ribs, beef, and boston butt.

Fire up the smoker and load it up, usually a couple of chickens, beef brisket and either a pork butt or ribs. And lots of beer to drink.....

sounds mighty tasty too walker!!!! hard to beat biscuits and gravy w/ a nice cup of black coffee....

DeRoux's Broux said:
the main thing for ribs is low and slow. i dry rub mine and put them in a oven bag over-night in the fridge. take em the next day when i start the fire goin'. once my smoker gets to 220-240, i slap em on and let 'em ride for 7-10 hours. i do a beer mop about once an hour, and ooohh-wee! they get those chewy burnt ends on 'em that are spicy and smokey.....damn i'm hungry now! did a brisket a few weekends ago that was good too. i do all dry rubs for my ribs, beef, and boston butt.

I think I want to move in with you.. You need to adopt a 50 yr kid?????

DeRoux's Broux said:
sounds mighty tasty too walker!!!! hard to beat biscuits and gravy w/ a nice cup of black coffee....

My wife LOVES it. I've actually had to make this with some poached eggs for dinner on several occasions.

-walker

the reason i started this post is i am at a cross roads in my life and need a new career that i can do until my golden years start. i love brewing, and i really love cooking for people. i'm looking at maybe a culinary school, or finish up my 4 yr degree at a local university for Hospitality Mgmt. so, i've been doing a lot of searching on culinary schools and what not. gave me the idea for the thread....

We do pancakes/waffles on the weekends pretty often. One thing I've been doing lately that is really good is:
Lightly brown some Canadian bacon then crack an egg on it and put the lid on (I like a glass lid so I can see). When the egg just starts to set sprinkle some curry powder and crumbled bleu cheese on it. Take it off when the egg is done to your satisfaction and sprinkle with chopped green onion.

DeRoux's Broux said:
the reason i started this post is i am at a cross roads in my life and need a new career that i can do until my golden years start. i love brewing, and i really love cooking for people. i'm looking at maybe a culinary school, or finish up my 4 yr degree at a local university for Hospitality Mgmt. so, i've been doing a lot of searching on culinary schools and what not. gave me the idea for the thread....
Have you read Kitchen Confidential by Bourdain?

I do:
My favorite, and first "all my own" receipe is lemon chicken over pasta which has a unique homemage lemon sauce and a quasi secret spice bill. Grilled steaks, hand rubbed w/spices and cooked super hot, but short, as I like 'em rare, Potato Leek Soup and Cheddar Bacon Potato Soup all fresh veggies, Vermont Aged Cheddar, and butcher shop bacon, not the plasticized commerical stuff. I also make a lot of chicken/turkey soups, as they are favorites of the wife. They are a multi day affair, as I need to cook the bird first, which means that I also do a lot of roasted chicken and turkey. I do a lot of Beef Stew during football season as well as chili (same as walker, you can have any recipe except the chili)

tonight it is going to be Grilled Rib-eye w/garlic mashed and some sauteed peppers and onions, washed down with a couple Skibbereen Pale Ales, possibly.

This thread has ruined me for the rest of the day, as now all I can think about is Ribs, Steaks, and Chili........oh yeah, and beer.

Probably would be a good idea if you're considering the restaurant biz...exposes the side most people never see or think about! Kind of that intertwined with his biography. Talked me out of ever considering a restaurant, but OTOH I could see it talking somebody else into it.

I forgot one of my dishes. I make them pretty well, but don't do it often because it's kind of a pain in the @$$ and takes all day to finish:

Tamales.

I use a pork butt cut into chunks and browned, then slow cooked (4 or 5 hours) with peppers, potatoes, cumin, garlic, onion, cilantro, and a bit of cayenne and MEXICAN oregano (do not use italian oregano... it's not the same flavor.)

Then I throw that into the food processor and pulse it a few times to shred the meat and potatoes.

I then blend my Masa Harina with some whole, toasted cumin seeds and crisco (lard is preferred, but I try not to use it), pack it into corn husks that have been soaked in warm water for a hour, drop on a dollop of the meat and roll them up. Wrap a bundle of those in a clean, thin, kitchen towel and steam them for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Top them with some fresh, green tomatillo salsa and I'm in heaven.

-walker

Oh man, I love tamales. Last time we were in Puerto Vallarta we hit a little hole in the wall that specialized in tamales and made about 15 different kinds. Another couple from SF met us there and liked them so much they ordered a dozen to take back with them...I bet the plane smelled like a giant tamale.

Dude said:
My speciality is ribs.

This is one of my favorites too.

I rub them with a Kansas style dry-rub the night before after taking of the membrane on the inside. Next day they go in the smoker at 200F - 220F. There they soak up the smoke for about 1 to 1.5hr. Then I wrap them in aluminum foil and let them finish in the smoker for about 3 to 4 hrs. After that they are just right: jucy, almost fall off the bone and not overpowered by smoke flavor.

Whenever they go on sale I stock up.

Kai

I love to cook and have looked into a career change as a Chef a few times. Unfortunately the pay sucks until you get to 'Head Chef' level in the UK (even then it's not mega bucks by any means) - It's a tough job - long unsocial hours in a hot stressful environment but hell it still appeals to me!!!!
Fave dishes i love to cook -
Grilled Sea Bass fillet with beurre blanc - classic French dish
Cantonese Sweet and Sour King Prawn - (I just love the Chinese Supermarket near my work for ingredients - inexpensive, good quality and always fresh because it has a high stock turnaround!)
Fried Skate Wings with beurre Noisette - those vinegar tones and capers cut through to balance to richness of skate. (A French dish involving butter again!)
High Calorie dishes i know but i only cook em once a year if that!!!
I've got loads more.....i'm away to think about some......Indian dishes... remembering my trip to Goa now......

Caplan said:
I love to cook and have looked into a career change as a Chef a few times. Unfortunately the pay sucks until you get to 'Head Chef' level in the UK (even then it's not mega bucks by any means) - It's a tough job - long unsocial hours in a hot stressful environment but hell it still appeals to me!!!!

sounds like a brewer's life to me!:D

nice dishes too, caplan.

here's my beer mop. i use it on ribs and brisket:
12 oz beer (more for the q'er!)
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup water
half onion chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp dry rub

combine all in a small sauce pot and heat, use warm about once an hour

dry rub:
3/4 c paprika
1/4 black pepper
1/4 salt
1/4 c turbinado sugar
2 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp onion powder
2 tbsp cayenne

hey, i've said in a previous post we ought to try and have a HomeBrewTalk.com "conference". i know we all couldn't be there, but it would be fun to try and get as many together as possible. of course, we wouldn't have to cook for everybody! ;~)

Here's one for all you cajun italians out there.

Onion Glazed Pot Roast - Cajun Style

* 1 4 lb boneless chuck roast, tied
* 2 teaspoons secret seasoning
* 2 tablespoons flour
* 4 tablespoons olive oil
* 3 T butter
* 3 pounds onions, sliced
* 1 green bell pepper, chopped
* 1 red bell pepper, chopped
* 2 T minced garlic
* ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
* 1 T chili powder
* 1 tsp. Cumin
* 2 tsp. Oregano
* ½ teaspoon jalapeno powder
* 2 ½ cups white wine (Chablis)
* ¾ cup marsala wine
* 6 ¼ cups Chicken stock

Sprinkle the roast with the “secret seasoning”, then pat the roast with the flour, shaking the excess flour off. In a large pan on medium high heat, heat 2 tbsps of the oil until hot, then brown the meat on all sides. Set the roast aside. Cook the butter and remainder of the olive oil in a large dutch oven on medium heat until the butter stops foaming. Add the onions and stir until they begin to soften. Add the peppers and garlic and continue stirring until the peppers begin to soften. Add one tsp salt and the chili powder, cumin, oregano, and jalapeno powder (if you like it a little spicy), and continue stirring until the onion are transparent. Add the Marsala and the white wine, increase the heat to boil the mixture, and stir frequently until it’s reduced by half. Add the roast, 1 tsp salt, and the chicken stock to the dutch oven, cover, and simmer, turning the roast every ½ hour or so. Cook until the roast is beginning to fall apart, at least two hours but I like to go 4 hours for a good sized roast. When the roast is done, move it to a cutting board and let it rest while finishing the gravy. Increase the heat to high and stir frequently while cooking the sauce until it’s reduced by half. When it’s getting close to done, I like to use my boat motor to blend the sauce until it’s smooth. Once the sauce has thickened to your taste, slice the roast in thin slices and place it back in the sauce. Reheat the sliced roast for a half hour or so, then serve it on a large platter with the extra gravy on the side.

Maybe we should have a designated brewday with webcams! orfy's way ahead of the curve on that one (is he putting in some work hours or something?).

Well, I'm definitely planning on hitting the Brewgrass festival in Asheville, NC again this year. I'm officially inviting everybody, and there are certainly worse places to spend an October weekend than in the Appalachians at the peak of Fall color.

Hmmm..... well I am a very good cook. At least this is what I've been told. I'm the one who makes all of the holiday meals and I take them very seriously. I'm usually in the kitchen 6 to 6 when doing something like a holiday meal. I was not able to do Thanksgiving, but it turned out pretty good. I should be well enough to do Passover though. When I was sick my wife did a lot of the cooking and thankfully my cooking has rubbed off on her. She can make things if she has a solid, tried and true recipe that dont need much tayloring.

Hmmm... favorite dish to cook.... well the best thing I probably cook is bread. Bread requires a degree of patience many just dont have. The process to make sourdough, for instance, could take up to 8 days. I've made big challahs (Jewish egg bread) for large gatherings. When I was on medical leave I made a lot of breads. Probably 4 or 5 a week (no we did not eat it all... gave to folks.... brother... ect.). Tried different methods and techniques.

I think though that my favoirte thing to cook is pizza. I make everyting from scratch.... dough, sauce, everything. Plenty of garlic. Dough has just a hint of wheat taste. Not much sugar, little bit of honey.

DeRoux's Broux said:
hey, i've said in a previous post we ought to try and have a HomeBrewTalk.com "conference". i know we all couldn't be there, but it would be fun to try and get as many together as possible. of course, we wouldn't have to cook for everybody! ;~)

Maybe someday a live chat could be a nice change of pace.

But as far as cooking goes, it's something I love. Many of my friends and family tell me I should be a chef for a living, but I think I might lose my love of it if I did it for a living. I have a great many dishes I do very well at.

A favorite? That's a hard call. I'm grilling salmon and shrimp for my girlfriend's birthday saturday, so I'll go with that. Great big salmon fillet - one of those really long babies, and some tiger shrimp.

I line my grill with foil and coat it in olive oil. Cook on very low heat (gas grill, turn down propane knob until it effects flame output). On goes salmon, skin side down. I coat the top with fresh dill and lemon slices, and arrange some yellow and red pepper strips around the side. Quick sprinkle from the mixed peppercorn grinder and the sea salt grinder and gentle drizzle of olive oil.

For the shrimp, they go on foil as well. Last time I grilled shrimp, I used butter with garlic, lime and dill. They were incredible. I'm thinking this time of using white wine with something else I've yet to make up my mind about, possibly rosemary and old bay.

Man, this is a cool thread.

Well I have so many things that I love to cook.. Brandon (Dude, gay) has had a few things of mine, Sam (Roomate) has also had some of my cooking, but I have different courses depending on who is around and event.. Im not going to feed my "To Impress and Undress" meals for Sam and Brandon.... I just have way to many of my "OWN" recipies to post them

XTrmXJ said:
Well I have so many things that I love to cook.. Brandon (Dude, gay) has had a few things of mine, Sam (Roomate) has also had some of my cooking, but I have different courses depending on who is around and event.. Im not going to feed my "To Impress and Undress" meals for Sam and Brandon.... I just have way to many of my "OWN" recipies to post them

gotta give us something? we're not a buncha skirts want'n to get vertical :D

Back