Shelf life of un-milled grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sup priiide! Can't give you an answer yet, but I'm about to find out. I've been sitting on a bag of two row, a bag of canadian pils, and a few buckets of MO for nearly a year. Time to get brewing brother.
BOOOOMERR!

Its been said many times before: chew a few grain, if you can still taste the sweetness, it fine. If it has no taste, then the sugars are gone and you can toss it.

I just brewed a mild with 3 year old MO that tasted fine into the fermenter. It was vacuum sealed in a dark container in a cool basement. I had 2 kids and was out of brewing for a while...

I'm wary of the 3 year old hops which have been vacuum sealed and in the freezer though...

If stored well, there should be plenty of enzyme activity for conversion. The real concern is did it go stale/rancid. Chew a few grains and that will tell you.

If the grain was stored dry and cool it will keep for years and years. It is only once you crack the hull that things go downhill.

Back