Pliny the Elder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyp063

Reaction score
A friend of mine flew in from San Deigo earlier this week & brought me 2 bottles.
I cracked open one last night.

Holy sweet, merciful Zeus!

I smells of essence of virgin Unicorn & tastes like the joyful tears of angels!

Stuff is even better than bacon.

A friend of mine flew in from San Deigo earlier this week & brought me 2 bottles.

I think you have captured it.

I also hear it can change lead into gold, but have not found anyone willing to waste it that way.

The clone recipe from Zymurgy is pretty close to the commercial example, except the taste and smell of angel tears is even fresher (especially in the aroma) then bottles I've had of Pliny. That keg went so fast, did well in competitions as well. I'm rebrewing it in December and should have enough centennial and simcoe for another rebrew probably in Feb lol, I can't live without it now.

Nothing is better than BACON!

AnchorBock said:
The clone recipe from Zymurgy is pretty close to the commercial example, except the taste and smell of angel tears is even fresher (especially in the aroma) then bottles I've had of Pliny. That keg went so fast, did well in competitions as well. I'm rebrewing it in December and should have enough centennial and simcoe for another rebrew probably in Feb lol, I can't live without it now.

I brewed that clone and brought it to a party that had blind tastings. Well mine was the only IPA hombrew so went up against some pretty good commercial offerings (one I recall was Stone Enjoy By) and won!

Hammy71 said:
Look, it may be good....but I won't tolerate your blasphemy agains bacon. NOTHING is better than bacon. LOL

Here here, haven't had the pleasure of Pliny, but do not speak such lies of the bacon, bacon is so good it has its own salt, and mayonnaise (http://baconsalt.com/) can Pliny say the same?

Hi All,

I am new to this site simply because I have several bottles of Pliny with a 1/29/2012 brew date. I would like to trade. I am very close to Baltimore MD and work very close to DC. I am not a huge beer drinker (I know dont judge)! therfore I do not want to waste a bottle just to taste it. I would really like to try a pliny clone. Any suggestions on the best clone in my area?

Sorry to say 1/29/2012 is pretty old for that beer and it's probably not very hoppy anymore which is why it says drink fresh all over the bottle...

I live about an hour away from that brewery... have bought it at a local store and cracked it that day, looked at the bottle which showed to my pleasant surprise that it had been botteled the day before... :)

Sorry to say 1/29/2012 is pretty old for that beer and it's probably not very hoppy anymore which is why it says drink fresh all over the bottle...

I live about an hour away from that brewery... have bought it at a local store and cracked it that day, looked at the bottle which showed to my pleasant surprise that it had been botteled the day before... :)

Thanks! I guess I will have to drink them myself. I have read numerous posts about the best time to drink them. I think I read that 2 months is the absolute latest as long as you have them at the right temperature. :)

Had a guy in the brew club I'm part of bring in a Pliny that he had held onto for 2 years. Needless to say, it was pretty terrible...

shellmash said:
Thanks! I guess I will have to drink them myself. I have read numerous posts about the best time to drink them. I think I read that 2 months is the absolute latest as long as you have them at the right temperature. :)

Do you mean the date is January 2013 then? What you're talking about is 14 months not two. My experience with Pliny is to drink it within a month, and it's substantially better, IMO, within two weeks.

yeah shell did you mean it was botteled in January 2012 or 2013, it will still be good if it's 2013...

IPA's in general are meant to be consumed very soon after they are ready. The fresher the better.

Back