Deciding on Yeast Starter DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msmith92

Reaction score
Does the type of DME matter for a yeast starter?

I plan on using a 2L Flask and light DME for this LakeFront recipe (extract):

O.G: 1.066 READY: 6 WEEKS
1–2 weeks primary, 2-4 weeks secondary,
1–2 weeks bottle conditioning
NOTES:
Lakefront recommends a 90-minute boil for this recipe, making the first hop addition with 60 minutes remaining.
KIT INVENTORY:
SPECIALTY GRAIN
--.75 lbs Briess Caramel 60L
--0.5 lbs Belgian Special B
FERMENTABLES
--9.15 lbs Gold malt syrup
HOPS & FLAVORINGS
--1 oz Columbus (60 min)
--0.5 oz Chinook (20 min)
--1 oz Cascade (5 min)
--1 oz Centennial (dry hop 7 days)
--1 oz Chinook (dry hop 7 days)
YEAST
--WYEAST 1056 AMERICAN ALE.

Yeah I thought so too. I just wasn't sure if it was standard or if matching the same malt as the recipe was better?

if you are worried about the 2L starter changing your est. profile then you could cold crash and decant the liquid... then just pitch the yeast slurry on the bottom (keep a little liquid in the flask to get all the yeast).

if you are worried about the 2L starter changing your est. profile then you could cold crash and decant the liquid... then just pitch the yeast slurry on the bottom (keep a little liquid in the flask to get all the yeast).

Yeah. I've learned that lesson. I'll cold crash for sure this time.

I was mainly wanting to see if there was a standard DME everybody used for their starters or if the type of DME changed per recipe.

msmith92 said:
PS. How is that waldo lake? Is that an NB kit?

Man that was a while ago I haven't updated my sig..... it was good. Dry hopped it it bit too much tho.....

I use whatever i have available. Just finished one with wheat DME. but i do cold crash it and decant the vast majority before pitching.

what is the method for decanting? Do you just pour it into another container and discard the top liquid?

msmith92 said:
what is the method for decanting? Do you just pour it into another container and discard the top liquid?

If i plan to decant, i will cold crash my starter to settle out the yeast. Then pour off 90 percent or so of the liquid on top. Swirl up the rest and pitch at temp.

Back