Weissbier Simple Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
zmad2000 said:
I brewed this with nottingham. Just bottled it a few days ago and it had a slight banana spice taste which was very pleasing. Not as much banana as i had wanted. I will try this again but let it ferment at room temp around 75. I have done a cider at this temp and got a big banana kick which i didnt want in the cider but want in the wheat beer.

Not sure where you're getting the banana flavor from. Banana flavor comes from the yeast. Nottingham is not a wheat yeast. Wheat beers are all about the yeast, IMO.

The banana flavor is coming from the nottingham yeast. I know its not a specific wheat yeast but there are a lot of posts saying that u can use it for wheat beers. Also since it produces a good amount of esters (the banana flavor) at the higher fermentation temperatures (75F) you dont need to have a fermentation chamber. Well thats my experience.

Checked gravity and after 10 days I'm at 1.013... only really went wild for first two days or so then backed off to nothing... now to finish setting up kegerator, and get this on tap asap... hopefully by this weekend... I'm thinking two weeks in primary wont hurt it any...
Oh and it tasted great btw... :)

I am fermenting a wheat ale with 3068, and it has a very strong banana smell, but also sort of a sulfur rotten egg smell slightly, and the color is brownish yellow. This was a simplw recipe of 6lbs of wheat extract and .75 oz of hallertau. Fermenrting at 68 degrees. Has something gone wrong??? This is my first attempt at wheat ale so im not sure what is the norm...

Brewed this yesterday, not a big fan of DME in my first experience with it but everything seemed to turn out ok. Used Crystal 10L instead of Carahell, estimated a lot since I only had two 3 lb. bags of DME and a full pound of Crystal (with no scale!) but I think I got everything about right. Gravity was a little high at 1.05, and I only had 1/2 ounce of Mt. Hood (boiled for 60 mins) and 1/2 ounce of Willamette that I boiled for about 10 minutes, which comes out to about 15 IBU give or take. Almost had my first boil over at the late DME addition, glad I was attentive or I would have had a HUGE mess. I had Nottingham in the fridge but decided to go for the Munich anyway, didn't want to potentially ruin the batch over a $3 packet of yeast. Now it's happily bubbling away in the front bedroom at 68 degrees... will report back when I take a gravity reading in 10 days.

Brewed this yesterday, not a big fan of DME in my first experience with it but everything seemed to turn out ok. Used Crystal 10L instead of Carahell, estimated a lot since I only had two 3 lb. bags of DME and a full pound of Crystal (with no scale!) but I think I got everything about right. Gravity was a little high at 1.05, and I only had 1/2 ounce of Mt. Hood (boiled for 60 mins) and 1/2 ounce of Willamette that I boiled for about 10 minutes, which comes out to about 15 IBU give or take. Almost had my first boil over at the late DME addition, glad I was attentive or I would have had a HUGE mess. I had Nottingham in the fridge but decided to go for the Munich anyway, didn't want to potentially ruin the batch over a $3 packet of yeast. Now it's happily bubbling away in the front bedroom at 68 degrees... will report back when I take a gravity reading in 10 days.

I used 6lb of DME for this and it came our fantastically. I will post a picture sometime when I'm not about to go to sleep

I used 6lb of DME for this and it came our fantastically. I will post a picture sometime when I'm not about to go to sleep

I was thinking about it, but I didn't have any more hops and wasn't sure how it'd affect the maltiness of it. Until I have a better understanding of how to keep my beer balanced I usually don't stray too far from the recipe.

Thanks, i actually just read about this from a link provided to me in another thread. Seems that sulfur is a biproduct of the yeast, first time ive heard that, and boy am I glad to know my beer isnt gunna taste like a three day old grand slam at dennys haha

Thanks, i actually just read about this from a link provided to me in another thread. Seems that sulfur is a biproduct of the yeast, first time ive heard that, and boy am I glad to know my beer isnt gunna taste like a three day old grand slam at dennys haha

When you've had enough to drink, anything will taste good ;)

Yummy!

image.jpg

The airlock bubbled ferociously for the first 24 hours and has been still since, the temp in the room is between 64-65. I'll take a gravity reading this Saturday and see where it's at.

jpar345 said:
The airlock bubbled ferociously for the first 24 hours and has been still since, the temp in the room is between 64-65. I'll take a gravity reading this Saturday and see where it's at.

Yeah mine started fermenting in about 8 hrs and went for a solid 48 before airlock stopped, but i used 3068 which is pretty aggresive, i think i also used more extract...

Yeah mine started fermenting in about 8 hrs and went for a solid 48 before airlock stopped, but i used 3068 which is pretty aggresive, i think i also used more extract...

I used 3068 as well. It went strong for a good 4 days before slowing and the krausen dropped. I overfilled the carboy, so for the first 4 days I got a bunch of overflow, and I used aluminumfoil instead of an airlock which would have caused me to lose a whole bunch of beer.

malevolent said:
I used 3068 as well. It went strong for a good 4 days before slowing and the krausen dropped. I overfilled the carboy, so for the first 4 days I got a bunch of overflow, and I used aluminumfoil instead of an airlock which would have caused me to lose a whole bunch of beer.

I used fermcap-s and didnt have any issue with overflow, you should give that a try...

I used fermcap-s and didnt have any issue with overflow, you should give that a try...

There was plenty of foam inhibitor in my beer :)

Didn't use fermcap-s. Saw fermcap-s in action on Saturday, and it seems MUCH more effective than what I used.

After Many overflows, I'll tell ya what, fermcap is going to be a regular ingredient in my brews. If it could tame an aggresive yeast like 3068, it should work on just about everything...

Brewed this 1/7 with 3068. two weeks in the primary and 11 days in the bottle, this beer tastes pretty damn good. (OG: 1.043 FG: 1.010)

simple/cheap/good...i'll be brewing this again.

godscorn said:
Brewed this on 1/10, kegged it on 1/28. Still carbing, but so far so good, very nice tasting!

Still carbing? Are u using a keg or bottles? If keg what is your psi?

I'm checking the gravity tomorrow, then decide if I want to let it sit longer or bottle. Might let it sit and bottle next Wednesday either way.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Orange-Willamette Wheat Beer

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: Weizen/Weissbier
Boil Time: 30 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons
Boil Size: 2 gallons
Efficiency:

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 4.89%
IBU (tinseth): 12.29
SRM (morey): 6.04

FERMENTABLES:
3.3 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Wheat (52.38%)
1.5 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Wheat (23.81%)
1.5 lb - Cane Sugar (23.81%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Willamette (AA 4.8) for 30 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
1 oz - Willamette (AA 4.8) for 20 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
2 oz - Orange Zest, Time: 5 min, Type: Flavor, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Munton and Fison (overpitched w/ 2 sachets of yeast to get vigorous fermentation)
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Average Attenuation: 72%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temperature: 64 F - 70 F

PRIMING:
Method: Bottle w/ cane sugar
Amount: 1 Tsp per 16oz bottle

Generated by Brewer's Friend - Brewer's Friend, home brewing resources
Date: 2012-01-14 22:06:11 (UTC)

8 days in primary (FG stable from day 5)
8 days in bottle

Orange-Willamette Hopped Wheat. Been in the bottle a month, almost gone.

Orange-Willamette Wheat.jpg

During bottling, if you poured this into a bottling bucket, how much sugar should you use then? I see 1 tsp per bottle but wanted this converted.

Thanks!

I was dead on for final gravity, 1.013 so I bottled last night. Tasted nice, had a cooler fermentation so I got more clove notes than banana. Used 5 oz of corn sugar for priming, will report back in a few weeks.

Just kegged mine, not carbed fully yet but i gave it a taste and its already great. Light banana aroma and flavor with a hint of apple cider acidity, and really clean finish, an excellent beer, my friends tried it and liked it a lot!

During bottling, if you poured this into a bottling bucket, how much sugar should you use then? I see 1 tsp per bottle but wanted this converted.

Thanks!

Wreck - just use the standard 5 oz of priming sugar boiled in a couple of cups of water and add to the bottom of your bottling bucket and siphon in on top of it.

Cheers!

Definitely getting the stuff for this today. Wanna make stuff up early for a long summer of moving, wedding planning, and everything else. :p

My wife loves a local microbrew's hefe that smells like banana bread. I'm going to use this recipe but bump the DME to 6# and ferment at about 72-74 degrees. SWMBO is actually going to brew it.

jgarretson said:
My wife loves a local microbrew's hefe that smells like banana bread. I'm going to use this recipe but bump the DME to 6# and ferment at about 72-74 degrees. SWMBO is actually going to brew it.

I used 6 lbs LME and .75 oz hallertau, recipe turned out great!

Brewing this batch was an adventure. Had my first boilover (which was probably me getting cocky and starting with too much water for my pot :p), and had a bit of a mess during the cooldown.

Not even fifteen minutes after I set the carboy in place, the capper flies off....and not even thirty minutes after that, I got activity in my airlock. I can tell this brew is gonna be intense to watch. Wish I had the right tubing for a blowoff tube. :(

Yup I saw activity within a couple hours, i used fermcap to prevent the carboy from turning into a foam fountain lol i still have some of this batch in the keg, its really good stuff!! Definitely putting this into my regular rotation

Finally cracked one after two weeks in bottles. Definitely needs a little more time to carb as I expected but this is my best batch yet and I want to thank the OP for the recipe. I'm a n00b and was getting discouraged after my first three batches were either hosed or not as expected, but this tastes great and it's the first batch I'm truly proud of. Thanks again!

Hefeweizen.jpg

Another good review has me more excited. Coming up on a week as of tomorrow in my carboy. Luckily it stopped making a complete mess, although I sure am going to have to mop our kitchen floor and clean a lot of towels and stuff when all is said and done. Heh.

I put this recipe into Brewtarget, and it comes up with 21.9 IBU's. the reicpe shows 14 IBU's. Even though the calculations are an estimate, this seems like a really big difference to me. Any thoughts?

With ~6lbs of wheat lme and .75 oz hallertau, Brewbuilder is showing 11 IBUS, which is about right, 20 ibus is way to high some this beer

There isnt much bitterness but what little there is balances out the sweetness nicely.

Back